Sign in to follow this  
Guest DLM9000

Oh Dear - what Nav Software to use?

Guest KFD

I don't use any nav software so I'm probably falling behind everyone elso - especially as I've now been bitten by the Level D 767!At the risk of boring everyone I'll make this quick!.....Which nav programmeFreeware or paywareEase of useDo I really need it?Ta.Kev:-sun1

You simply cant go wrong with the Reality XP GNS530. It is a virtual exact copy of a Garmin GNS530 GPS. Outstanding tool once you read the manual to learn how to use it, but if you can handle an FMC, this is a no brainer. Very handy for use in GA or airliners as a supplement to other navigational devices. The GNS430 is a smaller footprint version of the same type of capability, also available from RXP.Whether you need it or not depends on your level of complex flying and whether your flying is intended for real world navigating. There are plenty of folks who enjoy low and slow hand flyers and old vintage airplanes who have no need whatever of anything beyond whats default in the sim. but if you are doing any point to point flying in any complex environments or especially online, you need these tools.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest bobsk8

FS Nav, never fly without it on. It is even great in MultiPlayer, cause you can see the other aircraft you are flying with on the map. Easy to use also.

Ta.I use FSBuild found here: http://www.fsbuild.com/ Since you using the LDS 767 wich has a complex FMC like the PMDG 737, FSB provides all the routing you need for a realinte flignt plan.To answer your question do you need it, in the RW you would not go anywhere without a flgiht plan and that is what FSBuild does so well.I use it on EVERY flight, also dows an excellent job for fuel planning.Bob

>You simply cant go wrong with the Reality XP GNS530. I agree but this not the right choice for someone flying a 767, specially the Level-D version. GNS530 is very good for a general aviation flying. I agree with someone else that FSBuild would be the most appropriate add-on for your needs.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

FSNavigator 4.6. Used FSNav for 6+ years, could not be without it. A cinch to instal and use. Greatest moving map and wonderful functions. Payware.Other programs around, more sophisticated, etc., but FSNav is just a "snap" and genius program. Best add-on in the history of MSFS--hands down; for me.JS

Guest ha5mvo

There's a program that's frequently overlooked. it has 90% of FSbuilds power - and its free!namely its A. Antoninis Super Flight Planner. look it up at Avsim, it might answer all your needs.//Michael

>it has 90% of>FSbuilds power - and its free!It does not. I settle however for 20%. If you compare download size of both programs FSBuild is like 5 times larger. I would like to believe that a 4 MB program is going to give me 90% of functionality of a 23 MB one but such miracles are very rare. A flight planner that has a very sleek interface but offers no database of preferred routing is only marginally better than what FS9 offers out of the box. Frankly if we are talking freeware I would rather go this website for quick flight plan building needs:http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest KFD

Thanks everyone for your inputs - I'll visit the relevant sites and have a think about which software to use. Not knowing much about this subject, can I build a flight plan with FSNav/FSBuild and load it automatically into the FMC? I realise the SIS/STARs are another issue though.Finally, on a positive note, I am always amazed how people come forward and provide great advice - and the side effect of that advice normally leads to spirited debate on the thread - great!Kev

Guest danowat

Fsbuild is the only flightplanner I use these days, I wouldnt be without it, does everything I need and more.Dan.

Guest DLM9000

Hey Bob,I am considering buying FSNav after reading these posts. I want to run it over WideFS on a second machine.You said that the multiplayer planes show up. Does the MS FS9 traffic show up?Currently I am using FSBuild, NAV3.1 (October 2004 build), FS AI Seperation Utility and FSMeteo on the second machine.I use this setup for most of my Flight Simming because I can see the traffic on the moving map. When I want to be more realistic or practice a cross country before I fly the real thing in a plane, I use Jeppesen FlightMap (IFR) with Jeppesen Navdata, Charts and Street Vision data. Connects via serial port using GPSOut (Pete Dowson) on the Flight Sim machine. (Does not interfere with WideFS for my other programs on the second machine. This is a very expensive solution but it has NEXRAD RADAR overlay. The RADAR Overlay on the chart (From DUATs) matches the FSMeteo data very closely. IF I see a line of storms on the NEXRAD ahead of me, I see a wall of grey in my windshield. I digress.Will FSNav show the traffic?Dennis

Guest DLM9000

BumpAnyone,Will the latest version of FSNav Show the FS9 Traffic?DM