Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

Do you use Active Sky Next?

Amen to all the above. Went from REX Essential + OD to ASN and I don't have any regrets. I still use REX for weather and textures but ASN does a better job of replicating multiple cloud layers and I love the weather radar in the T7. I watch VAS performance with Process Explorer and the ASN weather generator doesn't place any unreasonable loading on my system. Overall I give it 5 stars.

Amen to all the above. Went from REX Essential + OD to ASN and I don't have any regrets. I still use REX for weather and textures but ASN does a better job of replicating multiple cloud layers and I love the weather radar in the T7. I watch VAS performance with Process Explorer and the ASN weather generator doesn't place any unreasonable loading on my system. Overall I give it 5 stars.

Exactly the same story here and I fully agree!

REX4 textures are brilliant so I keep those - but the REX weather engine sucks, so for me the ASN engine was indeed a welcome change!

Phillip Seedorff

Setup:
ASUS PRIME Z370-P i9 9900K 16GB-DDR4 nVidia RTX4070TI Win10 64 1909 PRO1863 USB earphones Artic7 Steel3 and s/pdif opt.7.1 surround Denon amp P3DV5.4/MSFS  ASP/ASCA ProATC/X  AIGAIM-OCI  Multimonitor setup

Greg, I was faced with a very similar situation last week. I had AS2012 and in my opinion it was so-so and barely worth the money. I was afraid that throwing another $30 for ASN would again leave me dissapointed...BUT I decided to buy it anyway and it is amazing.

It puts AS2012 to shame (I can't compare it to ASE). Better FPS, more realistic clouds, thunderstorms are spot on, etc. A big upgrade for me is the Command Center, which is the config program. It shows you all the AIR/SIGMETS on your route and shows you PIREPs that other sim pilots have sent, it makes your flight feel a lot more connected to the world, especially if you're not on VATSIM. 

One thing I think stands out as remarkable is when I fly into an airport (say for example KMIA) when it's storming in RL and in the background listen to LiveATC for Miami Approach. I can hear the RL controller routing aircraft around storm cells that show up on my T7's wx radar.

Damian has announced the ASN SP1 will be released as a public BETA early next week.

\Robert Hamlich/