Sign in to follow this  
daniel_schm

Clouds kill FPS in 2.3

omewhere out there, an XP10 guru is laughing at us...lol

I doubt it, have you seen XP10 clouds?  But XP10 clouds are certainly less performance impact.

I'm using MSAA only 4X - 3840 x 2160 on a 49" monitor ... on a smaller monitor (same resolution) 2X would work well.  SGSS AA will significantly impact performance regardless of GPU ... but it is the best visual quality.

Smooth flight under 3000-foot cloud layer (cloud coverage density on medium but ASN was knitting together cumulus into a pretty solid layer) until descending below 1500 feet to get into the pattern, then notable stutters 'til landing.

Almost exactly the same with me using the latest ASN ... like I said I noticed A LOT of stratus and cumulus clouds are compressed together in an extreme density ... I'm guessing they probably should have just been cumulus?  Anyone report this to the ASN folks?

Cheers, Rob.

I'm guessing they probably should have just been cumulus?  Anyone report this to the ASN folks?

Haven't reported yet, but should.  I want to run a couple of other tests first, including FS Global Real Weather using the same METARs.  As I've noted before, in 2.2 I got notably better performance with FSGRW than I did with ASN.  One of the main differences between them is that FSGRW has a different way of drawing stratus that doesn't rely on cumulus.  Overall I prefer ASN, but FSGRW is really very good and the performance gains were worth it.  Maybe it'll turn out the same in 2.3.

The ASN cloud coverage on my flight looked pretty accurate - my real-world out-the-window view was of cumulus forming into cumulostratus.  So I can't argue with the ASN picture - just maybe with the performance hit that came along with it.

Now, back to testing...

I'm using MSAA only 4X - 3840 x 2160 on a 49" monitor ... on a smaller monitor (same resolution) 2X would work well.  SGSS AA will significantly impact performance regardless of GPU ... but it is the best visual quality.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, I just finished watching your youtube videos of cloud performance as well as skimming over the adjustments you have listed on your website. What was the final solution for you? If you're not using the cloud.fx fix and you're not using SSAA, then please share your recipe :) Thanks! 

great website btw ;)

I am curious… Has anybody reported their experience with the latest OpusFSX and REX textures with P3DV 2.3?

I am sure their Next is supposed to be wonderful, but...

I have been flying low and slow lately , and I sure do like the clouds.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Anyone report this to the ASN folks?

Cheers, Rob.

I posted in their forums Rob on the latest beta not working well for me anyway - the last version works perfectly

please share your recipe :) Thanks! 

He has changed nothing left it stock as none of these tweaks result in any gain - same here factory settings are fine again I know no one wants to hear this but again and again seems Titan rules in P3D to bad its so expensive - sorry Rob for speaking for you Brother

Rich Sennett

Guest Novation

and I sure do like the clouds.

You seem to be making some fine ones of your own :P

I posted in their forums Rob on the latest beta not working well for me anyway - the last version works perfectly

He has changed nothing left it stock as none of these tweaks result in any gain - same here factory settings are fine again I know no one wants to hear this but again and again seems Titan rules in P3D to bad its so expensive - sorry Rob for speaking for you Brother

Using a GTX690, the only thing that literally tripled my fps was adding SSAA=4 to the .cfg and 0 MSAA. Like I said though, that comes with the expense of less than stellar AA.

Chad we need a decent driver from nvidia - that would help this problem - its been taking some time now to get out a new beta -  I am thinking they are trying to sort out P3D but would probably never admit it

Rich Sennett

What was the final solution for you? If you're not using the cloud.fx fix and you're not using SSAA, then please share your recipe :) Thanks! 

Here ya go sir - updated with my current settings: http://robainscough.com/P3D_V2.php

I'm using REX 4 Cloud Textures - High Level = Set 9, Low Level = Set 3.  32bit 1024.  When using ASN I limit to 2 cloud layers.  When doing my own weather using P3D, I also limit to 2 layers.

Not using nVidia Inspector, all control panel and set to "Application Controlled".  No other "tweaks" applied.

Cheers, Rob.

Has anybody reported their experience with the latest OpusFSX and REX textures with P3DV 2.3?

I haven't tried OpusFSX lately, I do have it ... I did try with REX 4 Textures from 512 to 2048 in 32bit and didn't notice any difference in performance ...but again this will vary based on GPU.

What I believe is happening (as others have eluded to) is that under certain situations/locations/weather engine and graphic settings the GPU is getting saturated and simply can't keep up ... the tipping point is triggered by cloud density/type and location (scenery density).  This isn't something I would consider "unexpected" given the increase in cloud visuals ... you can manage this by reducing scenery density and reducing cloud coverage density (and/or making changes to weather engine product settings).  Some weather engines seem to be introducing more impact than others and perhaps those 3rd party can work out some additional P3D only options to help out on performance.

LM are going to try to optimize the cloud processing a little more in v2.4 release.

And yes we desperately need some driver support from nVidia -- I'm actually surprised it's working as well as it is without any profile support from nVidia.

Cheers, Rob.

Guest Novation

I only set two layers of cloud, and use two layers of volumetric fog, and have found performance to be no different to 2.2 at all... plus, I see a huge improvement in the look of the Cumulus layers, which appear more voluminous [i can see the added 'noise'] and softer along the base, which could often be quite a hard line in previous versions. I would hate LM to roll back to an earlier rendering method personally. I do construct my own weather, rather than use a weather engine, which a lot of the time I find rubbish personally, with far too many layers of Stratus, which have never looked good [way too messy]... I can't wait for REX weather Architect, which will allow more creative custom weather.

BTW setting 'Cloud Density' to low in P3D will make the sim use more Stratus layers, even if you, or the weather engine, do not define them... Using Medium seems to give a happy medium  :P  between performance and coverage, though you will get some holes at 8/8.... however lower coverage seems much the same.

the only thing that literally tripled my fps was adding SSAA=4 to the .cfg and 0 MSAA

Which gives no AA at all...

Which gives no AA at all...

Pretty much. It was a suggested work around however earlier in this thread. 

I am curious… Has anybody reported their experience with the latest OpusFSX and REX textures with P3DV 2.3?

Yes, I don't get FPS hit when going through clouds. I however did get a hit when going through weather that no pilot in their right mind (in a q400) would enter. All red on the radar between the north pole and Alaska.

Pretty much. It was a suggested work around however earlier in this thread.

Chad SSAA can only be set via the video driver/NI/RadeonPro.

Setting it in the p3d.cfg has no effect.

Setting SSAA=4 and MSAA=0 in cfg equals zero AA.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yes, I don't get FPS hit when going through clouds. I however did get a hit when going through weather that no pilot in their right mind (in a q400) would enter. All red on the radar between the north pole and Alaska.

Silly boy! You deserve to get bounced around for flying in the red!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Silly boy! You deserve to get bounced around for flying in the red!

Chas

Actually it wasn't me that flew. It was my friend that wanted to try. I had him try the F22 at first in PDX. Then I had him try the Q400 to show how realistic it is. I loaded up PAYA, with real weather.

I screwed up the checklist (which I didn't even really have, it was by heart) and he took off at the LOWEST prop setting. After that I realized it, fixed it, but then he entered some weather. All red. Roller coaster ride.

On top of that, I didn't pay attn to ice. That happened. Getting out of the clouds fixed everything to a smooth ride. Shows just how awesome OpusFSI is.

Note: We were both drunk. :P

Also FSUIPC was NOT installed. However, I am going to install it because there are some really weird lag/dead zone issues by default.