Sign in to follow this  
DetCord

100% Accurate American Repaint

So I've received some PM's pertaining to the veracity of my initial post regarding materials provided by American and the NDA. To lay those concerns/complaints to rest, I'm providing the following. I've heavily redacted most it though.

Never needed convincing beyond the initial preview screenshots, but again, color me impressed (pun intended).  To get anything like that (or simply something other than a cease and desist) from AA is incredible.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Expect a release no later than Friday. However, we're trying to get it out the door sooner than that. Hopefully tomorrow.

I'm having issues with the Air Stairs layer that doesn't seem to want to function properly, though John is working on that as we speak. I'd like to do another video like the one on the previous page but I'll likely stick to just completing this paint.

Great work.  As someone who has painted a few aircraft (albeit at a very mediocre level), this is very impressive work.  

A number of years ago when I was part of UPS Virtual I wrote to UPS for the same thing and they sent it all to me.  I used it to do a few paints and then got a letter from them saying it was all sent in error and that I need to immediately delete from my hard drive.  Fortunately the paints were already done !!!

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Appreciated.

Look on the positive side. At least they didn't issue a Cease and Desist and threaten legal action. Some have done that in the past.

Expect a release no later than Friday. However, we're trying to get it out the door sooner than that. Hopefully tomorrow.

I'm having issues with the Air Stairs layer that doesn't seem to want to function properly, though John is working on that as we speak. I'd like to do another video like the one on the previous page but I'll likely stick to just completing this paint.

Great Shot Sir

Rich Sennett

Very nice paint indeed. Congrats. I don't fly commercial airliners so I won't get to take advantage.  :(

The AXE paint-kit only has 1K textures and that in turn limits what we or any painter can do for this addon. I'd love to have a 4K or even a 2K paint-kit, but it's been stated mutliple times that that's never going to happen.

Not true. It is absolutely possible for a skilled Photoshop/Illustrator artist to create a new 4K or 2K paint kit based on the 1K texture. Having 15+ years of professional experience in Adobe software, I can say with confidence that it's not only possible, but not especially difficult. It simply requires a heap of time and patience.

You may be correct that it's "never going to happen", assuming no capable designer accepts the challenge. But the limits placed on the painter are not set by AXE, but by the painter's talent and ambition.

Why not take a stab at it yourself? Uprez the 1K texture to the desired pixel dimensions, then start recreating elements on top.

Keep the dream alive!

Good luck!

Very nice paint indeed. Congrats. I don't fly commercial airliners so I won't get to take advantage.  :sad:

Not true. It is absolutely possible for a skilled Photoshop/Illustrator artist to create a new 4K or 2K paint kit based on the 1K texture. Having 15+ years of professional experience in Adobe software, I can say with confidence that it's not only possible, but not especially difficult. It simply requires a heap of time and patience.

You may be correct that it's "never going to happen", assuming no capable designer accepts the challenge. But the limits placed on the painter are not set by AXE, but by the painter's talent and ambition.

Why not take a stab at it yourself? Uprez the 1K texture to the desired pixel dimensions, then start recreating elements on top.

Keep the dream alive!

Good luck!

I didn't say altering the paint-kit to a 4K res was impossible. Simply that Aerosoft refuses to create one. And trust me, I'm well aware of what it would require to create one. Someone in the 318/319 thread asked about this and I basically replied in the same manner you did. A project like that would take a extreme amount of dedication and given my military career, responsibilities and continued deployments to Afghanistan, I simply don't have the free time to invest in a project like that.

Another issue to consider is the AXE model. Not sure if you're aware, but its pretty low-poly in comparison to other addons out there. So I'm not sure its really worth it.

The Fleet is growing...

"Another issue to consider is the AXE model. Not sure if you're aware, but its pretty low-poly in comparison to other addons out there. So I'm not sure its really worth it."

Det has proven this to me and He is correct - never knew the geometry on the axe was so light on ploys - so basically a high res kit doesn't help when the poly count is not high (not smooth) which will cause problems with graphics never being perfect which I means I would not put time into painting this bird knowing this

Rich Sennett

It does look like the upcoming 318/319 features a higher polygon/tri model and a higher res paintkit. Of course that doesn't help with the existing Aerosoft 320/321, but its a step in the right direction.

Future plans:

1.) John is currently working on the CFM, IAE and NEO versions of the A321.

2.) I'm moving toward completing the A320 Neo Retrofit and the A320 IAE version.

Stay tuned for more updates.

@DetCord

I've been following this topic because I have a lot of respect for your work and eye for details. Like you, my goal for every paintjob I do is to get it as real as possible. Or better, as authentic/accurate.

For what it's worth gentlemen... I have upgraded the Aerosoft A320 paintkit to 2048x2048. Lots of details, labels have been replaced/redone so they look better then if you resized them from the low quaility.

Mind that I only increased fuselage and vstab. Wings have not been resized, they are not bathering me.

You can see the paints I have done with the paintkit here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=664A970033E02781!1682&authkey=!AEt4PwB75HOktjc&ithint=folder%2c

If you want to take a look at the paintkit, PM me.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

As previously stated, The model is low-polygon. It just is, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Having a 2K or 4K paint-kit isn't going to do much for the visual fidelity the aircraft overall. However, I'm more than willing to take a look at it Vital.

Personally I have no problems at all with the number of polygones. She's well shaped, no negative comments on that topic from me.

What makes the difference by boosting up the fuselage textures to 2048x2048 is a very crispier look. Especially when zooming in on the markings, window contours, doors, stickers, warning labels...

It's been a while that I worked on the A320 paints. I now see that I've kept the vstab resolution "as is". 3/4 of the 1024px texture is used to texture that part, and that's good enough.

I will PM you a downloadlink.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Did you change the stenciling over the entire fuselage? That's one of the things that has to be done.