Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Flight One's Canada / Alaska Scenery

Guest ScottPilot

OK, so I figure that Eddie Denney's terrian mesh will work with this product, but what about USA roads? Didn't they add roads for Alaska in the most recent patch?Will we get double roads in this case?Thanks,Scott :-)ATP/CFII/DA20 Type Rated - Instructor Pilot - USAFA (KAFF), Colorado Springs, CO & at KCOSAOPA #00956593, since 1987Gamming System Specs: (Built this one myself)AMD Athlon-64 3000+ Gigabyte K8NS nForce3-250 Chipset 8x AGP Main Board 1GB DDR400 PC3200 Memory 160GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive 16x DVD-ROM Audigy 2ZS Gammer Sound Card5.1 Channel Surround Sound Speakers256MB GeForce-5700 8X AGP Video Cotytech Gaming CaseCH Products Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle QuadrantSaitek Cyborg Gold Joystic for Helo's & Stick equipped aircraftWindows XP Pro SP2Home Network for using the Instructor StationFS9 Sliders maxed with other settings (except weather, kills the FPS) at their best quality positions.

I had - always - thought that there - was only - one - person in the entire - world that - wrote like this - but - now I - see that Ray - is - not the only - one.Best regards.Luis

>Yes, unless you disable them with the AD configurator.Hmm.. I don't see any relevant configuration option but I don't see double roads in Alaska either.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

During install if it finds USA Roads, it tells you a config change is needed, and offers to do it.bt

Guest Ray

Hi Holger;The Freeware Alaska 38.2 m ive made - does not use any offset of terrains data - from my point of view - there is a big difference to design small pockets of mesh (as you do) and an entire state - Alaska - using the usgs data.the usgs data - ofen and frequently present a cut of void data between each degree - and that can well cause - offset of the mesh - caused by the presence of voids.If you design a small pocket - you defenetly avoid this problem - netherless - the mesh is freeware and is the best Alaska mesh FREE available (and not just a small pocket) at the price of Us 40 - I might well include a completely new Alaska Terrain - in my new Usa 19.2 m Terrain project to be started very very soon - but really - i only will if i find a good cause to re-compile already existing and well ready data - but defenetly offset of terrains will not be considered.Ahh - forgot to mention - if any new Alaska mesh will be produced - quite few thousands of users will be very happy to see that happen - Alaska will be again a Freeware scenery - - although many keeping bashing - or offer full support to some authors and not others - often based only on prejudice or by the color of your skins / nationality - it will never stop me to release freeware scenery - or keeping developing FS the way i see it.i think i said it all.raimondo

Hi Raimondo,no need to get into personal "issues" here, just a few more corrections to your technical statements:-----------"the usgs data - ofen and frequently present a cut of void data between each degree - and that can well cause - offset of the mesh - caused by the presence of voids."Not true! If there are indeed gaps in the NED source data then your GIS software should fill in the void area instead of moving the tile to one direction to close the gap. That way you won't end up with a progressively larger offset to one side.-----------"If you design a small pocket - you defenetly avoid this problem - "Maybe so, but most of my mesh files cover areas of the size of Switzerland or bigger - not exactly "small pockets". Indeed, I have made add-on mesh for all of B.C. and many large other areas (all freeware too but freeware vs. payware is not the issue here) -----------"netherless - the mesh is freeware and is the best Alaska mesh FREE available (and not just a small pocket) at the price of Us 40 "I fully agree with your first statement and we all have thanked you many times for that here and elsewhere! In my screenshot comparison I simply responded to "Katy's" statement that all mesh are the same. However, your "small pocket) at the price of Us 40" statement, is willfully(?) misleading, because my mesh I use for the comparison is the freeware Glacier Bay project (gl_bay_1.zip/2.zip) not "Misty Fjords", which isn't a "mesh", as you well know.Cheers, Holger P.S.: Ray, I'd be interested to hear from you about the benefits of a LOD11 (19m) mesh of the entire US. As far as I know it would require many GBs of HD space yet it can only be seen in a radius of a few miles around the user (due to the way FS displays terrain). Also, it requires TMVL to be fixed at 21, which is pretty tough on FS resources (many more polys to draw) and also incompatible with many third-party airfield add-ons.

Guest Ray

Hi Holger;when i compiled the alaska mesh - the data coming down from usgs - did includes those voids between 1 degree - just like a couple of pixels of nil datas - and quite lots of them where like that - wich i nearly stopped the project - as it was a real pain on the neck to deal with all of those.the only way to get the alaska data - was not to select a perfect degree on the usgs map when ordering the data from the usgs - and that did work much better - but still few now and than of these voids were clearly visible. Those voids were so deep - wich simply slice the mesh down very deeply into the terrain - and yes - ofcourse - it would have been easy to repair the voids with alternative data - but for alaska we did not have alternative data at the time - srtm was not yet released - any other lower res dem was not doing a great job anyway. We must not forget that alaska is now on its third year of being released - and at time of compilation of it it was a bit different than these days in term of dem data -Regarding the 19.2 usa - i do it because has been asked by many simmers - it looks like quite few simmers fancy this kind of resolution - so i decided to start the project - wich was planned long time ago.ray

I have a question too and sorry if it sounds dumb, does it mess up any other secnery like FS Enhancer or the AE by Chris Arrington?XP Home SP2Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZDDR 400 D/C 2x512MBGeForce FX 5700 256MB (56.72)SB AudigyMSFF2 & X45 throttleSee you in the fence...CYYZ

"I have a question too and sorry if it sounds dumb, does it mess up any other secnery like FS Enhancer or the AE by Chris Arrington?"If the default location has been moved, then it will as with any scenery that was designed in a specific spot, but with FSE you can reposition/change them on the user end (why I hate FSE) and AE improvements just affect the textures of the defaults, so that shouldn't be a problem.Y'know, MS just needs to make the default TMVL to be fixed at 21 in the next version, that way everyone has detailed mesh and you won't have to keep changing it to suite a specific addon and all airports will line up with the more detailed terrain.(although correct positioning of the landscape first might help LOL) Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi Ray,thanks for the detailed feedback on your AK mesh procedures and my USA 19-m mesh question - much appreciated!Cheers,Holger