Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

toning down the bloom

I think I need professional help because when I scrolled down the list of topics, I swear I thought this one read "Toning down the boobs".

I was expecting a rant about falling moral standards in the world!

:smile:

Hm, all these very interesting questions make you wonder why LM didn't add options for all this in P3D.

I agree that they should really add some options to tweak the HDR inside Prepar3D. I see that many don't like the enhanced bloom in 2.3 (mainly because it also affects the gauges), but I personally love going overboard with the bloom anywhere so I've increased the intensity of the effect. Two sliders, one for the intensity and one for the transition time, would be perfect I think.

Two sliders, one for the intensity and one for the transition time, would be perfect I think

I think we need three: you forgot the one for the darkening. As I said, I think it's perfect right now but a lot of people would like to change this!

The problem is, when you start adding adjustable "features" you then get major complaints about how complicated it is to set up. Then you have that certain group of users who will tweak ANY slider and forget about it and then complain that things "don't work".

In the early versions of Active Sky weather program users kept asking for the ability to change this and that and they were added. Then came the complaints about complicated it was. Other weather programs began touting the simplicity of setup, etc.

There will always be "power users" who love to tweak and understand the options but I believe there are a whole lot more who would rather forget about tweaking entirely.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have no problem with the basic settings being in the UI and the advanced ones hidden in a config file.  Some documentation for what the config file entries do would be much appreciated, however.

7,318 posts
Joined 8 Years and 29 Days Ago.

Posted Yesterday, 01:30 PM

BTW I like HDR as it is: to me it's perfect (well, with the transition tweak, that is!!!).

No trying to digress, but, can you elaborate on in this please? I think I might have missed this.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Nice, thanks fellas!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Which files do I delete again?  Is it the P3D root folder shader file or files?  Or is it the one in my User folder? C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

EDIT: It's the local shader folder under your OS folder

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Is it annoying to anyone else that LM has 4 other folders on your PC other than the main game folder?

Anyway FWIW I'm using 5.00f for both values and that's great!  No horrible bloom!  But you still get good HDR contrast

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is it annoying to anyone else that LM has 4 other folders on your PC other than the main game folder?

Thank Microsoft... they're the ones who set things up like that.

I have no problem with the basic settings being in the UI and the advanced ones hidden in a config file.  Some documentation for what the config file entries do would be much appreciated, however.

Agreed!

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors