Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Help from 4770k/4790k users with Nvidia Inspector

Thanks for the links guys....Looking through the guide for dx10 I still don't get what's the benefit of running fsx in dx10? To me it looks like a performance hit, added cost for the dx10 fixer, and lot's of work tweaking and making changes.

Thanks for the links guys....Looking through the guide for dx10 I still don't get what's the benefit of running fsx in dx10? To me it looks like a performance hit, added cost for the dx10 fixer, and lot's of work tweaking and making changes.

Default DX10 is buggy. More like an incomplete preview as ACES Studio was shut down before they could iron out the issues left, some of which Rod listed in post #93. DX10 adds cockpit shadows, uses less memory... DX10 fixer tackles those bugs but it's still up to you to pick which one you like better, DX9 or DX10. What is it exactly that you're not happy with yet?

Default DX10 is buggy. More like an incomplete preview as ACES Studio was shut down before they could iron out the issues left, some of which Rod listed in post #93. DX10 adds cockpit shadows, uses less memory... DX10 fixer tackles those bugs but it's still up to you to pick which one you like better, DX9 or DX10. What is it exactly that you're not happy with yet?

I guess the overall look of the sim, it's running a lot better now that I've overclocked to 4.4ghz but when I see other people's screenshots with similar systems I'm just not happy especially with the anti-aliasing and ground scenery.

I think I am gonna bite the bullet and buy p3d later today and probably won't look back. I love the idea of no auto-gen popping and all of the other in-sim features. Have also been looking into the gtx780ti even though In have a gtx770.

I guess the overall look of the sim, it's running a lot better now that I've overclocked to 4.4ghz but when I see other people's screenshots with similar systems I'm just not happy especially with the anti-aliasing and ground scenery.

I think I am gonna bite the bullet and buy p3d later today and probably won't look back. I love the idea of no auto-gen popping and all of the other in-sim features. Have also been looking into the gtx780ti even though In have a gtx770.

What AA are you running and are you not happy with shimmer or induced blur after applying SGSS?

With a 770 2xSGSS is as far as you'll want to go, but a 780Ti is quite a bit faster and should allow you to run 4xSGSS maybe if you're trying to get rid of shimmer.

I would consider the GTX970 if you want to upgrade your GPU for better AA or P3D

I still don't get what's the benefit of running fsx in dx10? To me it looks like a performance hit

I've never seen FSX DX10 produce a performance hit over FSX DX9 on any PC since FSX came out. I would put everything to defaults including the overclock and check out things are right or you'll be in the same boat with P3D DX11. If you've got HT=ON then you'll need an AM to prevent the first two threads occupying the first core together, that's a performance killer.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I had complete success with Word Not Allowed's FSX guide using a stock 4770k and GTX580, FSX runs like a dream.

Here is my Nvidia screenshot. I have anti-aliasing set to anisotropic in FSX.

I do not use affinitymask tweak as Affinitymask=14 gave me worse performance. I have hyperthreading disabled.

Only tweaks in my .cfg I have at all are:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

WideViewAspect=True

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80

LOD_RADIUS=5.500000

Haven't noticed much shimmering with these settings except for over water, just not very happy with the AA and how terrible autogen is in FSX, but that should be solved with P3d

nvidia3_zps21575f39.png

just not very happy with the AA

Then try 4xSGSS for AA. If you like it, well, you'll need a better GPU because your 770 will not perform very well in clouds

how terrible autogen is in FSX, but that should be solved with P3d

Yeah, no tweaks will fix AG in FSX

Haven't noticed much shimmering with these settings except for over water

You've not read my doc, it explains you need to enhance Anisotropic Filtering as it's for reflective surfaces e.g. water.

just not very happy with the AA

Bert!

...It's not obvious but we must set up filtering correctly before making comparisons of AA and shimmering. We don't want to overbear with AA strength to make up for poor filtering. Filtering can't be improved by DSR so we need to set our preferred filtering before adding DSR.

You're right I have not read all the support yet as I haven't gotten to it, but still replying to the thread because it's moving pretty fast. I appreciate the links I will try to catch up on all of them on my break which ststarts tomorrow.

I do not use affinitymask tweak as Affinitymask=14 gave me worse performance. I have hyperthreading disabled.

I've also removed affinity mask on my new system.  It noticeably helped on my i7-860.  On my new 4790K (with HT enabled on both the old and new CPU) it either has no effect or worsened frames.  I tried 84 which is the 14 equivalent if running HT on, and also the suggestions of 254 and 255 from the DX10 guide over on sim-outhouse.  I wonder if some of it is Win 8.1 managing what's assigned to what core automatically better vs. win 7 though.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Well I will sum up my issue with this.. I pulled the trigger and bought Prepar3d two days ago and got it all installed, set up, tweaked etc. I have to say I am VERY happy now with my graphics and I am not even using NI. Screenshots to come.

Folks, 

Sorry to state something which may be obvious but sometimes, its the most obvious thing that is overlooked. 

up until recently I was too seeing hardly any change in FSX DX9 when using Nvidia Inspector until I defined the correct path in Inspector that is. 

When you select the MS FSX profile, click on

'Add Application To Current Profile' on the toolbar next to the red cross and select the FSX executable from the root directory. 

For me, the FSX profile had clearly not set the profile for the correct FSX root executable. Now, I see significant changes, of all I am not technically orientated to comment on any of the discussions that has been in the past threads. 

Cheers

Ian Drinkwater

5.jpg

Specs: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.5ghz / MAXIMUS VII HERO / ASUS GTX 970 4GB / 16GB DDR3-2133 Memory / Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Power Supply / Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 140mm x3 / BitFenix - Spectre PWM 140mm x4 / Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB SSD x2 / Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB HDD / Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB HDD / W10 Home Edition 1709 Software: P3D V4.1 / ACTIVE SKY / ORBX GLOBAL / REX TD ENHANCED / PTA 2.5 / UK2000 / PMDG 737

Just moved over to a new nVidia card today, after 5 unfortunate years out at sea with an ATI.

SGSS definitely works with DX9 and gives a clear visual improvement.   SteveW - I don't know what you're 'on' in this thread but your conduct and tone has been quite frankly sad.   I noted on the long and desperate exchange between you and Dazz that he never once descended to rudeness or sarcasm (once making the mistake of referring to you as "dude" which you really stretched out in desperation), yet you have been sarcastic, cantankerous, ignorant of the facts and people's reports, and to be totally honest, your conduct on this thread has been nothing short of common or garden trolling.

I've used and valued IdealFlight for some years and always took you to be a professional an courteous gent; certainly when you've provided me with support.    Here's hoping this is a temporary 'blip', and that you're ok in yourself and that the "real SteveW" returns soon.

[/honesty]