Sign in to follow this  
werick58

Glad I finally purchased the PMDG 737

Just had to comment on my first PMDG airplane - the 737 NGX.  I was a bit worried that the 737 would be too "serious"of a plane for me since I usually fly GA using the GPS.  Well, I am now addicted to the FMC , flight planning and those SIDs and STARs as well.

I recently retired and now find myself spending hours digging into the almost infinite detail provided by PMDG.

My only complaint is that now all of my other planes seem like toys compared to the PMDG 737.   I now plan to purchase the 747 and 777.

This should keep me busy waaaaay into my golden years.

Thanks PMDG!

After 3 years, She's still my favorite bird

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I bought the NGX in early June. I love it. It was my favorite plane. Realistic physics, looks pretty good, and sounds pretty awesome. All this changed when I bought the Captain Sim 707 though  :blush:  .

I'm kinda veering away from newer aircraft lately. It gets kinda boring after a while. I mean... all you have to do is program the FMC, start up the engines, and press a few buttons when taking off and landing. The 707, on the other hand, has you do a lot more and involves a lot more dead reckoning... which IMHO is a lot more fun. Plus, starting the thing and programming the INS is extremely complicated! AND IT HAS A VIRTUAL CABIN!

But yeah, the PMDG NGX is still a great aircraft, and I'll still fly it  :wink:

It can do that! I was introduced to retirement about a year ago, not long after a divorce, so it's just my furry friends and I and flight simulation which keeps me occupied for hours on end. The breadth and depth that you can immerse yourself is almost unlimited. The legacy PMDG 737 (FS9) was my first 'real' flight simulation aircraft and this has been my hobby ever since. Especially now in retirement I can no longer afford the real thing so this hobby satisfies my needs on several levels. The 737NGX is an excellent aircraft, love it and I've played SWA for hours on end flying the real routes and learning to turn around in 20 min like they actually can do... check out FlightAware.com for routes, gates and times. Hold off on the 747 for now, she is undergoing a major upgrade and you'll find the 777 to be a very worthwhile project (twins now carry 95% of the flying public) to learn and expand your horizon to long haul ETOPS operations. Hang around the forum, learn to post your full name signature, and keep on learning. Happy contrails!

Dan Downs KCRP

I just bought it about two weeks ago too and do not regret it one bit! The only thing I regret is how much time I've spent reading manuals and flying it in the past weeks instead of being productive with other things!

instead of being productive with other things!

What's up with all that talk about productivity these days? Besides that, I have always considered learning about aviation (which inevitably comes with this hobby) as highly educational. Can't believe it's more than three years I've been flying the NGX.

Just had to comment on my first PMDG airplane - the 737 NGX.  I was a bit worried that the 737 would be too "serious"of a plane for me since I usually fly GA using the GPS.  Well, I am now addicted to the FMC , flight planning and those SIDs and STARs as well.

I recently retired and now find myself spending hours digging into the almost infinite detail provided by PMDG.

My only complaint is that now all of my other planes seem like toys compared to the PMDG 737.   I now plan to purchase the 747 and 777.

Thanks PMDG!

There's a 747 v2 coming out from PMDG soon. You may want to wait for that one (unless that was the one you were referring to). The current one that's available was made for FS2004 and only the model was updated to utilize FSX's graphics capabilities. The new one will be the same quality as the NGX/777. Enjoy!

What's up with all that talk about productivity these days? Besides that, I have always considered learning about aviation (which inevitably comes with this hobby) as highly educational. Can't believe it's more than three years I've been flying the NGX.

While you are right and I agree, I could be spending this time studying my job ATC. I do find this helpful on the job though so I will just use that as an excuse.

I've had her for a few years now and she's still #1 in my hangar. She's just an incredible bird. It doesn't hurt that she's my favorite RL airliner either :)

Enjoy your retirement and enjoy this awesome bird.

ps, if you can get the FS2Crew for her too. it'll make flying her as realistic as possible and a lot easier to manage.

Reik Namreg

It can do that! I was introduced to retirement about a year ago, not long after a divorce, so it's just my furry friends and I and flight simulation which keeps me occupied for hours on end. The breadth and depth that you can immerse yourself is almost unlimited. The legacy PMDG 737 (FS9) was my first 'real' flight simulation aircraft and this has been my hobby ever since. Especially now in retirement I can no longer afford the real thing so this hobby satisfies my needs on several levels. The 737NGX is an excellent aircraft, love it and I've played SWA for hours on end flying the real routes and learning to turn around in 20 min like they actually can do... check out FlightAware.com for routes, gates and times. Hold off on the 747 for now, she is undergoing a major upgrade and you'll find the 777 to be a very worthwhile project (twins now carry 95% of the flying public) to learn and expand your horizon to long haul ETOPS operations. Hang around the forum, learn to post your full name signature, and keep on learning. Happy contrails!

I thought I was the only "furry" here :D