Sign in to follow this  
Scorpio1

FS9 crashing on 64Bit windows 7

Hi

I have been using fs9 with windows XP for a long time with fantastic results.  I used UK2000 scenery and PMDG 737 and 747 and never had any problems.

I now have a new 64Bit with Windows 7 machine as shown below:

O/S Windows 7

Quad Core

Processor:   Intel ®  Core  i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHZ     3.00GHZ

Ram:  8.00GB

System Type:  64Bit

Intel ® Graphics 4600

AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

I have installed FS9 into my root C/ directory but the simulator is constantly crashing with the error message "Flight Simulator has stopped working"

If I start a flight and leave it running it seems to be ok but as soon as I use the menu bar to adjust anything the crash happens.

I know there are many people using 64Bit and Windows 7 with FS9.

I have also attempted to install FSX and exactly the same thing happens.

I don't know much about computers and am very frustrated with this.

In the events viewer it says the problem is related to  "igdumdim32.dll.  Is this a graphics card problem.

The shop where the computer was built for me say the problem is old software with new hardware.

Is there anybody that can help me with this problem.

Many thanks for any help.

Scorpio1

Try reinstalling it someplace other then in the root directory on the system drive.

It works fine here.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I think you did exactly the right thing in installing FS9 to C:\. I've had mine there for years and it works like a charm. I would also, if you haven't done so, give fs9.exe administrator rights. You can do so by right-clicking on fs9.exe and then clicking on the Compatibility tab, There you will find a checkbox to allow fs9.exe to run as administrator. This will ensure that it is able to write to/modify the files it needs to access no matter where they may be located on your computer.

Your specific issue sounds to me like a graphics driver issue. I may be wrong, as I haven't used an ATI card for many years, but it might be worth your time to see if your graphics driver is updatable. Whatever the truth of the matter is, your computer shop person is 100% wrong. FS9 should run just fine on your hardware and on 64-bit Windows 7.

Your problem is definitely not the OS.  I have personal experience with FS9 running on Win 7 and 8.1 systems without issues.  My 8.1 rig has an ATI card and virtually the only problem I have is that MAAM-SIM aircraft engines will not start unless I reduce the FPS from 60 to 30, a known issue.  Putting FS9 in its own folder in the root directory rather than either of the Program files is key.  Do that and give yourself full permissions, show hidden files, and you should be good to go.  By the way, don't just drag your existing FS9 install to a new folder.  Run the full install routine with the new folder as the target.

Just fur fun, I installed FS9 (2x versions), FSx & P3D into their default directories, after seeting the UAC slider right down.

After 3 years, I'm still waiting for a problem to occur.

I decided that Windows XP did not need UAC, neither did mt Windows 7 64bit!.

Also, I have a backup install of my FS9 that I have loaded on about 30 PC's over the years (another story for another time)

I then use the Flight1 reg fixer & all is good. When I remember, I copy the My Documents Flights across as well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

HI

Thanks for all your comments regarding my problem

This is a new computer and I was told that it would be ok for Flight Simulators but I don't think the shop had much understanding or experience regarding fs9 or fsx.

They installed the "AMD Radeon R7 200 series but I am wandering if that could be the cause of my problem.  Do you think another card could make the system more stable.  I apologise, I don't know much about how computers run and what can cause conflicts.

Thanks again.

Scorpio1

Try the 4gig patch    http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php 

Regardless of how good your computer is, FS9 and FSX are 32 bit programs and are not optimized to be "large address aware" The 4Gig patch will allow your computer to use 4gigs of Ram to run the sim.......without it your game is only using 2gigs of Ram......Regardless of the 8gigs you have under the hood.

Its simple, easy, and quick to install...It wont harm your game, and it wont harm your computer.....It will stabilize your install and get rid of 90% - 95% of those annoying crashes.

Cheers

Romflyer

HI

Thanks for all your comments regarding my problem

This is a new computer and I was told that it would be ok for Flight Simulators but I don't think the shop had much understanding or experience regarding fs9 or fsx.

They installed the "AMD Radeon R7 200 series but I am wandering if that could be the cause of my problem. Do you think another card could make the system more stable. I apologise, I don't know much about how computers run and what can cause conflicts.

Thanks again.

Scorpio1

Hello

My new PC came with the Radeon R7 240 gcard (this may be the same as yours )

The CPU also has its own graphics chip (I am not that tech savvy but I am sure that is correct) AMD quad core something or rather (can find the correct name if it will help)this is not the same as the usual poor quality onboard graphics.

In the graphics settings on my PC comes the option to combine the two for better graphics performance.

The R7 240 is a fairly new but basic entry level card.

I have to say that fs9 is many times better in performance than my old WS XP p4 2.8 setup...a huge

Increase in performance in fact, so if your gcard IS the same as mine then mine is performing very well for its specs.

So hopefully your card is NOT the problem.

Cheers

Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

The fle igdumdim32.dll does not belong to Flight Simulator. This issue can affect FSX too - see http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?275115-FSX-Crash-to-Desktop-module-igdumdim32-dll - and it appears to relate to Intel graphics drivers which is odd given the above comments.

Anyway, a solution is offered there.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org