Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Lear 24 idle creep

Hi-

Is there a way to keep the Lionheart Lear from creeping at idle?

Thanks,

Mark

You mean without the brakes on? I think that's a feature, not a bug.

You could edit the files in regard to e.g. static thrust. A rough edit that is.

I never said it was a bug.

I'm wondering if the FSPS Frictionality app would manage this?

I never said it was a bug.

I'm wondering if the FSPS Frictionality app would manage this?

I'm not familiar with the FSPS Frictionality app in particular, but FSX's problem is that there's too much friction on the ground. Given that the app purports to fix that (as in, introduce less friction), it might make the Lear 24 creep forward even more.

If you have FSUIPC you could look into modifying the DynamicFriction script to increase the friction and use that, but I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Thanks, Jon.

It's not a huge deal, just something that's very noticeable given other jets I've flown and haven't experienced this before.

I see what you mean now. I thought you were saying the Lear 24 was an idle creep, which seemed a bit harsh. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

You saw me striking out the bug phrase because I realised that it could be read the wrong way. Well, it was. :mellow: Figure of speech.

To correct some statements, the FSUIPC dynamic friction DECREASES friction and increases lateral stability. So your nose wheel won't skid around as much as it would with a default FSX (which is good) and the thrust to get moving is reduced which might lead to some planes starting to move or moving more since they have been tuned to the default FSX behaviour.

The thing is, that's not something being unrealistic. In fact, the standstill with default FSX might be the unrealistic thing, which some of got used to. So expect some jets starting to move at idle and especially the prop planes with the larger discs to do so.

To get back to my initial statement. I can not tell if the Lear's movement is realistic (when it comes to the actual speed resulting from just idle thrust) but the fact that it does move at idle could indeed point to the developer's care of wanting to render it realistic, even in a default FSX environment.

Any addon and mod you might add will further decrease the friction, if it aims at realism. The FSX inbuilt one therefore already is too high which also shows on the brake distances by the way.

Thanks for the update.

It is what it is so I'll go with it.

Thanks,

Mark

I experienced the same effect just once with the Lear 24B.  I believe on that occasion I did not have the hydraulic switch on before I started the engines.  With the switch on, the parking break holds.  Don't know why parking break affected by hydraulics.

To correct some statements, the FSUIPC dynamic friction DECREASES friction and increases lateral stability.

Nothing to correct there; I identified the problem in FSX as being too much friction, and suggested modifying the DynamicFriction script to instead increase friction.

It is what it is so I'll go with it.

It looks entirely possible with FSUIPC and the DynamicFriction.lua method, but would be a bit tedious. The code looks like:

[...] 0.030) --0.050

The value being used in the script is 0.030, while the original value is 0.050. You could increase the friction compared to base FSX by setting the friction to a value higher than 0.050 (from 0.030), but unfortunately you have to do this for a lot of different situations.

Then I've misread your sentence. Apologies, Jon.

I would not recommend altering anything on the global scale of the dynamic friction setting since this affects all planes and also moves the realism even more in the wrong direction, namely too much of a friction. Now I do get that you are just explaining how it could be done, not how it should be.

Well, I digress.  :blush:  The user is king, it's his/her sim, so you are correct to point out the availability. Maybe this dedicated friction addon even allows per plane settings?

Maybe this dedicated friction addon even allows per plane settings?

You could keep multiple copies of DynamicFriction.lua and just not use this copy except for this plane.

I would not recommend altering anything on the global scale of the dynamic friction setting since this affects all planes and also moves the realism even more in the wrong direction, namely too much of a friction. Now I do get that you are just explaining how it could be done, not how it should be.

I definitely agree with this. Assuming that Lionheart did something to work around the friction problem without the use of another add-on, this would be working around their workaround, by which point things start getting really sketchy. Takeoff roll distance would be adversely affected, for example (even though the script cuts out above a certain speed).

You could keep multiple copies of DynamicFriction.lua and just not use this copy except for this plane.

Good point indeed. Maybe one can even tell FSUIPC to use plane specific profiles.

this would be working around their workaround

Reasonable concern.