Sign in to follow this  
Brian Riggs

Let it snow - P3D/Precipitfx

This is fine as far as it goes but what about we see this idea extended somehow to replicating 'weather on the windscreen' .... i have to repeat the observation i made earlier somewhere to the effect that if FlightUnlimited2 could reproduce believable rain on the windscreen, however many years ago that was, surely something along these lines can be worked in to P3D ... I live in hope ...

Alan

I have a question. Your images look quite real overall (as compared eg to this video I found of a similar situation: http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/183324343-wild-russia:-arctic-snow-covered-horizon-over-land-tundra) but one thin I have noticed with P3D images in general - they seem to be a bit on the dark side. Is this a P3D bias or do you just prefer a generally darker mood?

Cheers,

Sascha

I have a question. Your images look quite real overall (as compared eg to this video I found of a similar situation: http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/183324343-wild-russia:-arctic-snow-covered-horizon-over-land-tundra) but one thin I have noticed with P3D images in general - they seem to be a bit on the dark side. Is this a P3D bias or do you just prefer a generally darker mood?

Cheers,

Sascha

Well in my case it would be the program shade making things darker - P3D vanilla it not that dark - screenshots can be very misleading 

Rich Sennett

Cheers,

Sascha

Just like Rich commented, I am using shade which darkens the environment.  The time of day also affects the amount of light and I prefer to take my shots during dusk which darkens the scene in addtion to shade.

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

Thanks, I was just wondering as I have noticed this in quite a few P3D shots, compared to FSX.

Cheers,

Sascha

Thanks, I was just wondering as I have noticed this in quite a few P3D shots, compared to FSX.

Cheers,

Sascha

Good catch Sascha - it is on the dark side but it adds realism to the environment which over rides that issue for me - going to come down to personal taste - it seems to blend my REX4 sky textures quite nicely 

Rich Sennett

I think HDRR is perhaps exposing the weakness of how some monitors display dark gradients (often what separates a good monitor from a so so monitor is how well they deal with black/darks and high dynamic range).  

What I do when I see cases where someone says the scene is too dark or too light, have them post the image -- I download the image and view in in Photoshop against my monitor that I know is calibrated well and of good quality.  I've seen folks post images they say are WAY too dark ... but when viewed on my setup they look fine.

I'll post some comparison images later showing how the exact same scene, same weather, same time of day, can look very different based on cloud/sky textures used.  HDRR is more sensitive to texture adjustments than FSX.

Cheers, Rob.

I think HDRR is perhaps exposing the weakness 

So true - I will do screenshots at home look great - go to work not so good - your monitor is an important factor - have to get them to get me a better monitor - yah right

Rich Sennett

Wow, that card is well over five years old.  Might want to look into an upgrade.

I know. I was going to get a whole new computer late last year but had a emergency and had to use the money I put aside for the new computer. I hope to have the money again for a new computer by the end of this year or early next year.

I think HDRR is perhaps exposing the weakness of how some monitors display dark gradients (often what separates a good monitor from a so so monitor is how well they deal with black/darks and high dynamic range).  

And to go along with that, Rob has posted a thread regarding the ability to adjust HDR and Bloom.  I have tinkered with the settings a bit and you can really tailor the way things look.

I know. I was going to get a whole new computer late last year but had a emergency and had to use the money I put aside for the new computer. I hope to have the money again for a new computer by the end of this year or early next year.

I hope that works out for you.  P3D is really a great platform.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations