Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Fiber Accelerator for P3D is out

Im starting to get disappointed indeed

Cannot activate the thing

It was activated then it got itself de-activated

ERRGGGG

Filed a ticket last night, no response still

The only diff is it does o "on-the-fly", and varies with conditions.

You dont notice the reduced texture filtering at altitudes above 4000 or so

It's a Sunday, I guess that's why no response for your ticket.

The on the fly part is something to think about, for now I am not sure about its benefits.

Applying the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

fix gave the same "much improved"  fps under unlimited as FA did under 26 fps cap, and I did not get any OOM too, although on final I thought I would, whereas with FA I was less worried... thats all

So the usefulness of paying for FA is in doubt now even though I bought a license,

ADDENDUM:  Got the license re-activated, support does indeed work, nbut their servers were a bit busy

Got the thing working again and will be able to study it more

Like I said, its it's dynamic "on-the-fly" tweaking that interests me with FA

Yeah, pass. My sim left on unlimited fps gets WAY higher fps. It literally caused low frame rates and stutters.

------------------------------------------

That was my experience as well. The best set up for myself, is unlimited in P3D, and to use the frame limiter in EVGA Precision X, set to 33 FPS. I stay at this configuration mostly around 25-30 FPS. I find that FA does indeed add tangible benefits for FSX. I saw that right away on my first flight. For P3D v2.4? Nope....

Hi there,

first of all i will give this app a try. Im not at my PC right now. P3D2 is running @ an average of 30-70 FPS depending on scenery of course. Hardest scenario for me is either running KPHX and/or some other hugh detailed airport with traffic enabled and having low 20 FPS.

However what i dont understand is that people run FA, obviously reduce scenery complexity thus resulting in an increase in FPS. I mean that would happen anyway. Reducing complexity in every settings segment will bring better performance.

Or am i wrong here :(?

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Hi there,

first of all i will give this app a try. Im not at my PC right now. P3D2 is running @ an average of 30-70 FPS depending on scenery of course. Hardest scenario for me is either running KPHX and/or some other hugh detailed airport with traffic enabled and having low 20 FPS.

However what i dont understand is that people run FA, obviously reduce scenery complexity thus resulting in an increase in FPS. I mean that would happen anyway. Reducing complexity in every settings segment will bring better performance.

--------------------------------------------

That's the joke...and you are most right. Of course if you drop the asking-load...you wlll pick up FPS. Jeez...not rocket science..lol. Yep..you have it right....

Hi there,

--------------------------------------------

That's the joke...and you are most right. Of course if you drop the asking-load...you wlll pick up FPS. Jeez...not rocket science..lol. Yep..you have it right....

No, Mitch. Its not that straight-forward.

Dropping load gives more FPS, of course. But the thing is that even after dropping load, P3D does not go to its full FPS potential. We need to adjust the fiber time down to more FPS. That's what FA is doing at runtime and we can also do in the p3d cfg.

Something like, for my system, which was having load issues:

Complex load                        = 30 FPS

Normal Load                         = 35 FPS

Complex Load + FA              = 30 FPS

Normal Load + FA                 = 42 FPS

Normal Load + FFTF(0.10)   = 42 FPS

So If I am happy with Normal scenery then I can squeeze out 42 FPS using FA/FFTF compared P3D default of 35 FPS.

On the other hand if I want Complex scenery, then I need to upgrade my system, nothing else is going to help.

No, Mitch. Its not that straight-forward.

Dropping load gives more FPS, of course. But the thing is that even after dropping load, P3D does not go to its full FPS potential. We need to adjust the fiber time down to more FPS. That's what FA is doing at runtime and we can also do in the p3d cfg.

Complex load                        = 30 FPS

Normal Load                         = 35 FPS

Complex Load + FA              = 30 FPS

Normal Load + FA                 = 42 FPS

Normal Load + FFTF(0.10)   = 42 FPS

So If I am happy with Normal scenery then I can squeeze out 42 FPS using FA/FFTF compared P3D default of 35 FPS.

On the other hand if I want Complex scenery, then I need to upgrade my system, nothing else is going to help.

Hi Duke,

thanks for the explanation. That was what i wanted to know. It would be interesting to know as what kind of hardware you folks run..

I have a i7 3770k oc´ced 4.5GHz GTX780ti 8GB RAM and a dedicated SSD for P3D2.

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

Hi Duke,

thanks for the explanation. That was what i wanted to know. It would be interesting to know as what kind of hardware you folks run..

I have a i7 3770k oc´ced 4.5GHz GTX780ti 8GB RAM and a dedicated SSD for P3D2.

Hi Mickey,

I have i7 4700MQ @ 2.8 and 755m SLI, 16GB ram and SSDs. Your CPU, at that speeds, is about 30% faster than mine, GPU must be at least double mine.

The best trial you can is drop scenery complexity down and then see if FPS increases. If it does than FFTF at 0.10 may get you more frames. Just my guess. But with your hardware I would not be dropping complexity, unless the frames were really bad.

Maybe FFTF will give you more smoothness?

Complex load = 30 FPS

Normal Load = 35 FPS

Complex Load + FA = 30 FPS

Normal Load + FA = 42 FPS

Normal Load + FFTF(0.10) = 42 FPS

Duke is the 0.10 a typo?

Did you mean 0.01?

Hi Mickey,

I have i7 4700MQ @ 2.8 and 755m SLI, 16GB ram and SSDs. Your CPU, at that speeds, is about 30% faster than mine, GPU must be at least double mine.

The best trial you can is drop scenery complexity down and then see if FPS increases. If it does than FFTF at 0.10 may get you more frames. Just my guess. But with your hardware I would not be dropping complexity, unless the frames were really bad.

Maybe FFTF will give you more smoothness?

Yo that makes sense now. Gonna try the FFTF 0.01 and report back. :)

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

Duke is the 0.10 a typo?

Did you mean 0.01?

No, I have changed to 0.10 to reduce blurries. I think that's about the lowest value FA also uses. Though not completely tested yet.

So you have to lower your settings until performance is great (and you even have to start tweaking again with FFTF!) and then this 30 euro add on will give you extra fps which you don't need anymore...? Right...

Just a quick note to those who believe that have invented the wheel by just adding a line in Prepar3d.cfg...

Whatever you do in Prepar3D cfg is STATIC. It starts and dies as long as your run the simulator. You get the same config for AAAAAALLLL flight. Either in ground at 0ft or at 35000ft.

WHAT FIBER ACCELERATOR DOES is that this Prepar3D.cfg is NOT STATIC anymore. When you need frames, it will lower values to catch them, and when you need picture quality (since you already "catch" the target) it will increase values. This is done hundreds time per second.

That's what NO tweak can beat, and will never will. WHY ? Because tweaks are STATIC.

You can create great configs in prepar3D.cfg : one for a busy airport (but it won't be great for high altitudes), another for 35000ft away from everything (but it won't be great for the "busy airport") , another "all around" average cfg...

But you cannot have all in one. That's what Fiber is doing, and some of you better digest it...  ^_^

Regards, Babis D. (BD)
Flight Simulator Platform Solutions
Senior Developer
visit us: Homepage / Our unofficial blog
2vhslld.jpg

So you have to lower your settings until performance is great (and you even have to start tweaking again with FFTF!) and then this 30 euro add on will give you extra fps which you don't need anymore...? Right...

In my case yes, for the first part, ymmv :lol:

But you don't need to buy FA, FFTF is enough, for me at least. FA is not giving any more FPS than FFTF.

Just a quick note to those who believe that have invented the wheel by just adding a line in Prepar3d.cfg...

Whatever you do in Prepar3D cfg is STATIC. It starts and dies as long as your run the simulator. You get the same config for AAAAAALLLL flight. Either in ground at 0ft or at 35000ft.

WHAT FIBER ACCELERATOR DOES is that this Prepar3D.cfg is NOT STATIC anymore. When you need frames, it will lower values to catch them, and when you need picture quality (since you already "catch" the target) it will increase values. This is done hundreds time per second.

That's what NO tweak can beat, and will never will. WHY ? Because tweaks are STATIC.

You can create great configs in prepar3D.cfg : one for a busy airport (but it won't be great for high altitudes), another for 35000ft away from everything (but it won't be great for the "busy airport") , another "all around" average cfg...

But you cannot have all in one. That's what Fiber is doing, and some of you better digest it...  ^_^

Other things aside, I don't follow this 0ft vs 35000ft argument. What is the extra picture quality I am going to enjoy at 35k feet? Can you present some pictures to illustrate your case?

Got the license re-activated, support does indeed work, nbut their servers were a bit busy

Got the thing working again and will be able to study it more

Like I said, its it's dynamic "on-the-fly" tweaking that interests me with FA