Sign in to follow this  

The perfect HDR ...

Thank you, Rob. I saw that but thought it was somewhere in the main cfg file. I had not looked at the regular file tree.

Thanks.

Howard

Has anyone else come across the snow issue? Pop up to Alaska and have a look around.

Mike

Has anyone else come across the snow issue? Pop up to Alaska and have a look around.

You'll need to be a little more specific than that Mike ... do you have a screen shot?

I'm not having any snow issues per my video here (and others):

Cheers, Rob.

You'll need to be a little more specific than that Mike ... do you have a screen shot?

Beautiful video Rob - thanks for sharing it

Rich Sennett

Thanks for the HDR tip, Rob. I tried your settings and they do brighten up my screen. I have always thought that P3D was too dark. It certainly was darker than my FSX program and I was not able to make it brighter till I tried your tweak.

Not sure what the question is about the snow. Snow works. I just did some flying around Buffalo New York and it is snowing there. Of course I have not tried to cure the snow cone effect yet, but Active Sky for P3D is showing snow this morning.

Howard

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Beautiful video, I really enjoyed watching it.

Here are 3 images - the 3rd was taken not far from PAVD

Time of day around noon in the Summer.

Snow_1.jpg

Snow_2.jpg

Snow_3.jpg

As I tried to explain in my original post, I'm referring to the apparent over brightness of the snow on the ground - not everywhere, mind, but where it occurs there is loss of all detail. Perhaps this is 'normal' and I need to wear some virtual sunglasses!

Maybe I'm being over picky - I just wondered whether this was normal or a side-effect of some of your HDR tweaks which otherwise produce excellent imagery elsewhere.

Regards,

Mike

Mike, have you ever gone skiing on a sunny day?  The snow is blinding.  But you can dial that down with the adjustments I've listed in this thread to meet you specific desires.

\ShadersHLSL\PostProcess\HDR.HLSL

Increase this value to reduce bloom blur

Line 12:

static const float BloomBlurSigma = 1.5;

and/or

Adjust this value up (if you are at 0.60f try below 0.75f or higher)

line 166: avgLuminance *= 0.75f;

and/or

\ShadersHLSL\GPUTerrain.fx

reduce value to reduce color intensity

Line 881:

BaseColor *= lerp( .36f, 1.0f, fAlpha );

The values in red are the one's I'm currently using and what you see in my video.  Suggest you adjust one value at a time, delete your shaders folder and see how you like or not your adjustments

Cheers, Rob.

What are the ones that adjust the bright levels of the darkest part of HDR?  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Mike, have you ever gone skiing on a sunny day?  The snow is blinding.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Don't do skiing, but I take your point. Best save up for a pair of Polarized Snow Goggles :BigGrin:  

Meantime I'll experiment with your helpful suggestions.

Many thanks, I appreciate you taking the time.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Guys,

I'm using the following settings on a three Samsung SyncMaster T260HD monitor setup at a resolution of 5760x1200x32.

===============================

static const float BloomBlurSigma = 1.5;

static const float TimeDelta = 4.0f;

avgLuminance *= 0.80f;

BaseColor *= lerp( .36f, 1.0f, fAlpha );

==============================

P3DNewSettings.jpg

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

What are the ones that adjust the bright levels of the darkest part of HDR?

lower values will make the darkest parts less dark, so 0.60 will be less dark than 0.75

line 166:

avgLuminance *= 0.75f;

Cheers, Rob.

lower values will make the darkest parts less dark, so 0.60 will be less dark than 0.75

line 166:

avgLuminance *= 0.75f;

Cheers, Rob.

That line is commented out in my HDR file...  by default I guess.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That line is commented out in my HDR file...  by default I guess.

Correct, uncomment it by removing the "//"

Rob,

Could you maybe make up a list of the more important ones and what they do to affect the brightness of various parts of the plane/cockpit/scenery and make it a sticky? I think this post may get a little long and then we still have to search every page to find what we want to change, if in fact it is even mentioned on one of the pages. This would be very helpful. Until you created this post, I was not even aware we could change the appearance of things this way. Just a thought.

Thanks.

Howard

Could you maybe make up a list of the more important ones and what they do to affect the brightness of various parts of the plane/cockpit/scenery and make it a sticky?

Hi Howard, the first post is really all you need to know ... the values (in RED) that folks want to use will vary on personal preference, screen resolution, add-ons used, etc. ... that personal preference is what the rest of this thread is about.

The values I provide are just a starting point from which I encourage folks to experiment.

Cheers, Rob.