Sign in to follow this  
qqwertz

Frame rate problem since SP1c

Hi,

since I installed SP1c I have a hefty frame rate problem with the 777-200LR. When I am looking at the instrument panel in the VC, rates are down to 7 fps almost during the entire flight. On one approach to a payware airport (UUEE), the instruments weren't updated at all for several minutes (I had to abandon that flight). Frame rates are only reasonable (17-20 fps) over open water.

However, when I am on outside view, frame rates are at 25 fps (close to my cut of 26 fps). Even if I change the view inside the VC to the overhead board, I obtain about 17 fps, so it appears to be a problem with the MFD.

I managed to improve the frame rates a little bit by changing some options:

under PMDG Setup -> Options -> Performance (2nd page),

- set Terrain Image Detail to low

- set Terrain Image Size to 256

After doing this, I obtain about 10 fps, but every other second or so it can jump to 15-18 fps before going back to 10 fps. Until Sp1b I had about 20 fps stable.

Does anyone else experience this problem? Is there a possibility to fix this?

Thanks,

Peter

Does anyone else experience this problem?

I haven't heard of this coming up at all so far. Moreover, most (if not all) the beta team reported performance improvements over the service packs.

Is there a possibility to fix this?

I'd take a look for anything that might've changed on your own system first. Perhaps you installed new scenery, updated scenery, or adjusted your weather settings. All of these things would have an effect on performance. I'm not saying it's not the 777 - I'm just saying that, given the changes in SP1c, I'm finding it difficult to say that it's the 777 and something else. Not much changed that would create problems like this.

Moreover, the weather itself will cause fluctuations in your frame rates. Hard IFR days with many cloud layers will chew up performance that would otherwise be perfect and stable on a clear day.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

thanks for your reply. I was suspecting new scenery as well (I added UUEE and FS Global Ultimate Europe recently). However, the problem also occurs in areas where I haven't added anything (e.g., in North America, where I had FSGlobal Ultimate installed before). It also has nothing to do with the weather because it appears even when I turn off ASN and set the weather to clear. Furthermore, I don't have problems with any other planes.

I've made another test: In outside view I opened _all_ instrument windows, but frame rates still remained around 25 fps. It must be something with the VC.

If nobody else had this problem I might give a reinstall a try.

Thanks,

Peter

id hang fire on the reinstall as this can sometimes cause more problems then the original problem to start with

hope you get it sorted though

Stewart Cumbers

I just did a reinstallation of the PMDG 777. Frame rates are now better than even before SP1c (around 23 fps) :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Peter

Peter, I am glad you're happy with SP1c now; however, as Kyle noted, none of the changes in SP1c would have an impact on FSX frame rate so it's possible that the problem is still there for you and might crop up again.  If it does, I recommend you try to figure it out before doing the reinstall..., which in my mind is rarely a fix for any problem.

I am reminded of my years as an electronics technician where hours of troubleshooting resulted in a NTF (no trouble found) code on the maint reporting paperwork. This became code for "found on/off switch in wrong position" or something along those lines.  I believe you had a problem and I believe you don't have the problem now, just saying it might come back.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan,

thanks for your advice. I am always reluctant to do a reinstall, but after analyzing the problem and looking for solutions this appeared to be the last remaining option.

Now that I did the reinstall I actually have a theory of what may have happened: previously I had about 10 different panel files in the panel folder (panel.cfg, panel.01, ...). I am not sure why, but I have been using addons like VoxATC which add gauges to the panel.cfg file. After the reinstall I only have a single file. It might be that the VC displayed multiple copies of instruments because of a misconfiguration.

Cheers,

Peter