Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

777 OOM - depleted VAS (my brand)

After a month of flying the PMDG 777, I was having zero issues.  None..zip..nada.

Then I installed the FS2Crew and started having issues on flights lasting longer than two-three hours.  Last week, I flew from KJFK to EGLL and right when I was taxing off the runway at Heathrow, I got an OOM.  Fortunatly my VAFAS recorded that I landed safely and I was credited with a pirep.

A week later, I flew from Heathrow, flying to Los Angeles this time.  This time...less than 50nm from TOD, I got the OOM message.  But for the two previous hours, I was seeing no aircraft skin, only the seats and interior.  So, I KNEW I would be lucky to get the flight completed.

After the OOM, I realized that having the UK2000 London Heathrow demo scenery was likely the culprit.  I removed it and any other add-on scenery other than Atlanta since the fifth runway is needed.

Tried the EGLL to KLAX flight today and went thru without any hitches.  

John Bradley

AAL132

the UK2000 London Heathrow demo scenery was likely the culprit.  I removed it and any other add-on scenery other than Atlanta since the fifth runway is needed.

Tried the EGLL to KLAX flight today and went thru without any hitches.  

John Bradley

AAL132

I think I get it now. You have a 50-HP car, and you need to climb up the Hemolayas mountains.

It takes 20-HP for the car to climb alone, plus 20-HP to climb with 3 passengers, plus another 20-HP to carry a bag of beer & bbq stuff in the trunk.

You are ok as long as you go either with friends (passengers) alone or with beer and bbq in the trunk, but you can't exclude that or that because it loses the purpose. You take both and you flip over half way up.

We have three ingredients mostly responsible for OOM, PMDG OOMy-aircraft, FSDT/Aerosoft-OOMy scenery, and ASN weather engine, gotta give up on one.

1. PMDG/iFly Aircraft, can't give up on it because that's what it's all about.

2. Scenery, can't give up on it either. I love it.

3. ASN? :-(

I suppose default weather engine can contribute to VAS leak as well, these processes need your motor HP.

Sad. Perhaps I can reduce the ASN settings to go from 20-HP to 10-HP to fit the 50-HP engine capacity. But in the end it is still sad.

I think I get it now. You have a 50-HP car, and you need to climb up the Hemolayas mountains.

It takes 20-HP for the car to climb alone, plus 20-HP to climb with 3 passengers, plus another 20-HP to carry a bag of beer & bbq stuff in the trunk.

You are ok as long as you go either with friends (passengers) alone or with beer and bbq in the trunk, but you can't exclude that or that because it loses the purpose. You take both and you flip over half way up.

We have three ingredients mostly responsible for OOM, PMDG OOMy-aircraft, FSDT/Aerosoft-OOMy scenery, and ASN weather engine, gotta give up on one.

1. PMDG/iFly Aircraft, can't give up on it because that's what it's all about.

2. Scenery, can't give up on it either. I love it.

3. ASN? :-(

I suppose default weather engine can contribute to VAS leak as well, these processes need your motor HP.

Sad. Perhaps I can reduce the ASN settings to go from 20-HP to 10-HP to fit the 50-HP engine capacity. But in the end it is still sad.

Well...I forgot to add that I'm also using ASN as well.  

When it came down to it...I'd rather give up the intense scenery than a 12 hour flight gone in the 11th hour.  Especially if I'm sitting at that intense scenery for only about 45 minutes to do the preflight.

Its terrible that Microsoft pulled the plug on the Flight Simulator franchise just as the hardware was really getting up there in speed and they figured a way out of memory issues with 64 bit operating systems.

Imagine how awesome Flight Simulator be today with a coding change of making FS a 64 bit compatible application.  Truly sad....

And I built this rig with FSX in mind.  I wanted a machine that can do all the things I dreamed of doing when I was using FS9.

John Bradley

AAL132

Worked for a week getting fsx stable. New windows install. New fsx. Then yesterday I suffered dll errors and oom again on flights. I remembered PMDG had an update, and now I uninstalled ASN and reinstall again. Everything is stable again so far. Even after a PMDG Operations Center update, ASN must be reinstalled.

Also, I forgot to mention. Process killers such as Alacrity and GameBooster that "monitor" programs can eat away at VAS too, also at a rate of up to 200 MB/hour, which may be seen as a similar symptom. I did some testing on this myself a few months back, so just a general caution to be careful.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Hi,

I've tried the process uninstall/reinstall ASN and I have 2 questions now:

1. During uninstall, ASN asks if you want also to remove preferences, aircraft weather gauge and a third some other thing. Are these items to be fully removed or may I preserve them?

2. May I just reinstall ASN without uninstalling? Has anyone tried this with success?

Thanks

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi,

I've tried the process uninstall/reinstall ASN and I have 2 questions now:

1. During uninstall, ASN asks if you want also to remove preferences, aircraft weather gauge and a third some other thing. Are these items to be fully removed or may I preserve them?

2. May I just reinstall ASN without uninstalling? Has anyone tried this with success?

Thanks

Best regards,

1) I fully removed them.

2) That action did not work in my instance.

Kyle,

Roger wilco! Thank you.

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Sorry for a late reply, but I did not have much time to fly last two weeks.

So I completely uninstalled, redownloaded and installed ASN and... I have to confirm! :good:

It may be sort of fata morgana (or coincidence) that I'm seeing but before the reinstall I was usually finishing my flights with VAS usage at 3.2-3.5.

The last two flights (with reinstalled ASN) gave me the final VAS level at 2.8 and 2.9. And I used generally the same addons (choosing heavy stuff).

I will look further into this discovery, but it already looks very promising.

Since I am not a regular visitor at ASN forums, have the developers addressed what some of us are experiencing?

Or maybe it is a matter of how ASN was installed on particular computers?

I, for instance, had installed all service packs as they were coming. This time I just installed the latest full build (SP1 B5410).

Add another user here that uninstalled and reinstalled ASN.  But I also installed Steve's DX10 Fixer and am running DX10 now.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but with scenery settings at full except both scenery and autogen are at Very dense (not extremely dense), my VAS never got above 3 gigs from departure to arrival and landing at pretty intense airports and areas.

I went from LAX to PHX without getting over 3g VAS.  Looking solid to me now.

Sorry for a late reply, but I did not have much time to fly last two weeks.

So I completely uninstalled, redownloaded and installed ASN and... I have to confirm! :good:

It may be sort of fata morgana (or coincidence) that I'm seeing but before the reinstall I was usually finishing my flights with VAS usage at 3.2-3.5.

The last two flights (with reinstalled ASN) gave me the final VAS level at 2.8 and 2.9. And I used generally the same addons (choosing heavy stuff).

I will look further into this discovery, but it already looks very promising.

Since I am not a regular visitor at ASN forums, have the developers addressed what some of us are experiencing?

Or maybe it is a matter of how ASN was installed on particular computers?

I, for instance, had installed all service packs as they were coming. This time I just installed the latest full build (SP1 B5410).

I haven't participated much in their forums either but a cursory search doesn't seem to show much.  I would suggest submitting a ticket as well, if you haven't already.

Hi,

Back here after removing ASN and reinstalling it. Funny thing happened. I ticked the option to restore the panels which I had installed the ASN Weather Gauge. Results:

1. My T7 framerates went down to 8 when they were averaging 20-25 at any airport.

2. The T7 2D radio no longer has that weather gauge where you control gain and tilt (SP-1c). It appears on the 3D pedestal and works.

3. The flight KSEA-KDEN (920nm) started with VAS 1.2GB and ended with 750MB in 2:22hs. I don't think this is solid.

I will have almost a week of vacation and will work on this problem.

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Kyle,

Not yet. I will somewhat dive in the matter before submitting a ticket - apart the VAS issue, the simulator engine was quite fluid before. It seems I may have mixed things up. I think I could try reinstalling the T7 from scratch. I will have the time and sure be back here to report.

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

I have never reported this finding to ASN because I can't necessarily say there is something wrong with ASN, it simply looks like an order of installation problem, so there really may not be anything the ASN guys can "fix"

Richard