Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

777 OOM - depleted VAS (my brand)

Hi Thibault - I had to go the painful route to figure out what was causing my VAS problem.  It took me about 2 weeks between real life requirements and troubleshooting.  Essentially  the only way I was able to find the problem was by systematically disabling one by one all the addons that I have and restarting FSX until my VAS level stayed constant.  It's pretty time consuming but it can certainly be done so don't give up hope.

Richard

I am 5 hours into my flight now. It would OOM after 2-3 hours. Went in and changed Windows Virtual Memory to system set and no OOM on this flight yet. Crossing fingers.

I am 5 hours into my flight now. It would OOM after 2-3 hours. Went in and changed Windows Virtual Memory to system set and no OOM on this flight yet. Crossing fingers.

What was the size prior to and after the system set?

That setting is for page file size, this is only remotely related and will not improve/impair the 32b application 4 GB VAS allocation/usage. I think.  It's possible the dialog box says one thing but means another but not normal.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello everybody,

actually I'm running into the VAS-leak issue, too. Without changing anything except for the PMDG OC update and some livery installation through the OC I'm experiencing a rapid increase of VAS during a flight on a NAT (EHAM to KJFK). Even uninstalling and reinstalling ASN didn't help.

I would just like to know, if the issues mentioned in this topic have been resolved by the respective pilots and if yes: How did you do that???

Kind regards,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

Try flying somewhere other than New York City.  Perhaps, EHAM-CYYZ, and let us know what the result is.  Use the same aircraft, weather, time of day, if possible.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Interesting, I had a suspicion ASN/AS2012 may contribute to it but I went another path instead: save/close/reload flight on descend - an advise I've read on iFly forum.

I did find one item hugely responsible for OOM - Global Texture Resolution, I lowered it from Very High to High and that helped a lot, but did not cure the problem.

I used to have OOMs with PMDG & iFly-747 early into the flight, now (after lowering the GTR setting) I'm having it on final approaches to the airports. Before lowering the GTR settings I used to have OOMs even with the 737 and J-41.

I also have my ASN cloud layer setting at 7, let's bring it down to 3 and see...

Note, no OOMs with grandpa PMDG-747 under any conditions. Obviously newer complex softwares like 777, MD-11 and iFly-747 are very OOMy, although it is a combination of factors really.

Try flying the 777 without ASN running at all.  Use some default weather.  See if that makes a difference.

Ok, this is just a little update referring to my last post (#35):

The flight I was loading had been saved after updating the PMDG OC. As the VAS level changed rapidly during the flight I tried reinstalling ASN, but that didn't help at first. Then I just deleted the flight and started a new one (EHAM to KJFK), but this time I first updated the OC (last update from Sunday), reinstalled ASN and then started the whole flight.

This time the VAS level was stable and I reached my TOD without issues! So there definitely seems to be a leak issue when updating the T7 or the OC without reinstalling ASN SP1B afterwards. Even a saved flight prior to reinstalling ASN kind of transfers this issue to a situation when ASN has already been reinstalled...

So the issue is solved on my system, but it is not really a solution to constantly reinstall ASN after updating the T7 or the OC, is it?

Kind regards,

Chris 

Christian Baldauf

This can be very perplexing. I, too, had some issues and reinstalled ASN. I'm running the SP1c 777, no SE, no SP1d, along with GEX/UTX, MT 5.4c, and no photo scenery. I flew a leg from KIAD (FlightBeam) to KLAX (FSDT) and the VAS held rock-solid around 2GB free the whole way. Then I flew a night leg from ORBI (stock) to EGSS (UK2K) and experienced a slow bleed of around 200MB VAS per flight hour, going from 2GB free VAS to 1GB free upon landing. I hadn't changed any settings. And then I saw another minor update had been made to the OC and installed it. After that, and again without changing any other settings, I flew a 9-hour flight from EGSS (UK2K) to KMEM (stock) and remarkably the free VAS remained constant at around 2GB the whole way! So, the only thing I had changed was installing the latest OC update. Very strange indeed.

Even a saved flight prior to reinstalling ASN kind of transfers this issue to a situation when ASN has already been reinstalled...

Yes, my findings as well.

Now, if I were you, I would try a long flight in another complex aircraft (NGX, QWSim 757, Aerosoft A32x, etc.) - on the same route, if possible, WITH ASN to see if your VAS usage depletes at the same rate. I would also then try the same route with the 777 again to compare (both with and without ASN). Basically, you need to try to establish some kind of baseline and repeatability by changing one variable at a time (either aircraft, route, scenery, or ASN usage) so you can truly isolate it.

I will try it without ASN next weekends. I once tried a transatlantic 777 flight with ASN active only for take off/climb and descend/landing phases, disabling it in cruise hoping this wouldn't lead to OOM, enabled it on descend and had a non-crashing* OOM on final to FlyTampa Copenhagen. Apparently ASN can lead to OOM rapidly. Next weekend's experiment with ASN off will show how bad it is on FSX.

*non-crashing OOM is one that does not crash the FSX but dramatically reduces the fps rate, stops generating textures (you see a blurry world) or stops generating clouds - you see a bunch of rectangles instead.

Testing many configuration on P3D and on computer. After 2 minutes OOM!
Any idea how solve it?

This can be very perplexing. I, too, had some issues and reinstalled ASN. I'm running the SP1c 777, no SE, no SP1d, along with GEX/UTX, MT 5.4c, and no photo scenery. I flew a leg from KIAD (FlightBeam) to KLAX (FSDT) and the VAS held rock-solid around 2GB free the whole way. Then I flew a night leg from ORBI (stock) to EGSS (UK2K) and experienced a slow bleed of around 200MB VAS per flight hour, going from 2GB free VAS to 1GB free upon landing. I hadn't changed any settings. And then I saw another minor update had been made to the OC and installed it. After that, and again without changing any other settings, I flew a 9-hour flight from EGSS (UK2K) to KMEM (stock) and remarkably the free VAS remained constant at around 2GB the whole way! So, the only thing I had changed was installing the latest OC update. Very strange indeed.

I did see the OC update myself. Now, I'll have to try this again and see if the VAS bleed is back. Had been flying my E190 a bit with ASN with no issue but had not tried the 777 again. 200 MB/hour was indeed the symptom I was seeing previously, a rate much higher at cruise than any other combination of aircraft I have.

Good information so far, thanks everyone for sharing their experiences. Another one of those "glad I'm not the only one" moments.

Having just installed sp1c then ASN then sp1d I haven't noticed any massive leak but was only WOW at EGLL for 2hrs but loaded most of scenery next to London. Maybe install SP1c before ASN and it is fine?