Sign in to follow this  
Guest C172pilot

My Rant

Tom,What you and your staff are doing with the community is, for lack of a better term, monumental. There is a story, which I can be sure that some of us have heard of it before, that goes something like "Two mice fell into a bucket of cream, the first mouse panicked and used up all his energy trying to get out- he drowned. The second mouse preserved his energy, paced himself, and swam around and around, in a nice slow fashion until the cream turned to butter, and he climbed his way out."Whats the moral of the story in AVSIM's case?Mouse #1- The kids who e-mailed you. "Oh no! I'm in a bad position! No files to download! What do I do! Ahh! Mommy! I'm Gunna... *garrrrglleee*"Mouse #2- The AVSIM Body, it knock out the pests one by one, flatten them out, taking the time to ensure it gets done well! And in the end, when your passed this road block, you can once again continue your road to absolute victory, and nothing short of it. Jason :-wave

Hi TomThanks for what you have said. As a long-tooth member of Avsim I have been concerned for some time over the transition from those who pulled their sleeves up and contributed to what seems to be so much a "me now" vocal group.Those who have posted above have covered all I wanted to say.This is just another message of support for the top FS site on the net.Many thanks for all that you and your team do for us.CheersMike

Guest aonyn

I just want to add my thanks to Tom and the rest of the staff as well. I have enjoyed many resources from your library, and received help in your forums over the years.I apologize that I don't extend a thank you more frequently. Unfortunately, whiners tend to be more vocal than the satisfied and grateful majority.My hat is off to everyone here who has made my hobby a little more enjoyable in one way or another.best regards,Dave

Guest ba747heavy

Hey Tom, please don't let those idiots get the best of you. There are 1000s more people who appreicate what you do everyday and understand the predicament you are in. Don't let those vocal, childlike, ignorant, pimples on societies hind-end get to you.

Guest allcott

I thought the `children` were rather entertaining, in a petty, peurile, idiotic, shambolically ignorant kind of way. The actual LACK of understanding shown by these people tells me they clearly can't even read properly, let alone write! It shouldn't give anyone at Avsim cause for pain, unless it's ribs aching from laughter. :-lolAfter all, the rest of us are laughing. We actually read and understand the situation - if they're that stupid they won't understand and THAT stupid they'll cut off their noses to spite their own faces, and give away their childish natures, then cheerio! :-waveIf any of them are past nine or ten I'll eat my hat. And I'm talking IQ, not age. And I don't own a hat.x:-)Allcott

Guest dhgphoto2000

Dear Tom and AVSIM Staff:I have never replied to a forum message before, but I felt compelled to voice my sincere appreciation to you and your staff for the outstanding job you do and for the countless hours of enjoyment you help to bring to thousands of enthusiasts. Even though I am never surprised by some of the comments that are made, I know that when I do read them, I feel a deep sense of disappointment that there are those who lurk in the shadows and whose sole purpose it is to be critical.I have often wondered how many of the people who have given so much of their time and talent to this hobby can stay involved after the attacks that are made on their contributions. I find it hard to believe that there are so many that become so critical over some of the most insignificant things. The way some of these folks expect a simulator to fly like the real thing is beyond me. I am amazed by how accurate so many of the systems are, and how "real" the aircraft fly. I wish I were able to offer a solution, but please know that your work and investment is appreciated. I am guilty of being in the silent majority. Perhaps many of us need to take a moment to express our thanks. Continued success to you and your organization.Dave

>If any of them are past nine or ten I'll eat my hat. And I'm talking IQ, not age. And I don't own a hat. :-lol Nice nice, very nice!

Guest _patrol_

Tom and all the dedicated people at AVSIM,I'm sure you realize that most of the people here are decent folks who really do appreciate all that you provide for us at AVSIM. Even so it still hurts and angers when a very small group, instead of being appreciative, starts throwing insults at you. I'm not even sure that it's the temporary server problems per se that sets them off. Rather I get the feeling that they are just vicious beings who are always on the lookout for some excuse to unleash their viciousness. If it were up to me I would ban them because of the obvious dammage they do, such as driving talented people away from the FS comunity and just plain hurting people. I havn't read the AVSIM rules and regs for a long time but aren't these people in violation? Anyway, I havn't been able to download from the library, though I havn't made a great effort to. I'd just rather wait until the new server is up and running; the files I want will still be there. It's not going to detract from my enjoyment of flight simming one bit by having to wait a while for this or that file. I think you are all doing a great job at AVSIM and it really angers me that you have to deal with all this crap. I hope you ban these creeps before they cause even more harm, which I'm sure they will do given the opportunity.Please keep up the great work.Losing AVSIM would be like a death in the family.David

Hello Tom, I concur with what everyone here has said so far, but please allow me to make a few remarks.No matter what one does, someone will always criticize. You know this perfectly well. The only way to avoid criticism is by not doing anything. BUT, what would the world be if nobody did anything? It is thanks to you and the entire staff that this hobby has been able to advance so much. You have done much more for us than any single author of add-ons.Aside from the usual reasons for bad manners that you have mentioned, there is also probably an element of (or, rather, a lack of) information among many people. Particularly those who do not take the time or have the habit of reading the information on the front page. Because of this lack of information, they are not prepared for the difficulties with the library, and therefore frustration sets in more readily than otherwise.The Library staff has admirably taken the time to indicate the status of the Library on its first page. This certainly helps, as everyone can see whether they will have problems or not.Perhaps they would also consider adding more text to the small AvSim file that is also included with all downloads. This text might include a reminder that AvSim is free, that download bandwidth is not limited, that your goal has always been to further and enhance this hobby for the benefit of all. Just a few words like this to remind everybody MIGHT prevent some people from blowing up over temporary difficulties. The AvSim staff has already shown their desire to increase the amount of information for all the users and this is commendable. Maybe a little more information like the above could help to avoid this kind of incident.Many thanks again. Best regards.Luis

Guest sbdwag

The last two weeks if anything make me realize just how tenable our relationship with AVSIM might be. Like a long lost friend I never realized what I had until it was gone. The giveme giveme attitude is a sign of the times. The destruction of family values, the wave of selfish nausea that crosses our Country from shore to shore. There is a great hard working country of 900 million people standing in line waiting for the opportuninty to provide a better life for their children and families and they are consuming our economy. When I started in my profession "Tool and Die" 30 years ago we put an ad in the paper the next day they were standing in line two city blocks long. Now the Help wanted ad stays in the window all year long. For every 30 kids that come in the door. "One" may show up for work long enought to make it through the ninty day probation period. He may never amount to a hill of beans either. No one wants to work for a living anymore. Im not saying all young people are this way just a whole lot more than there use to be. This pervasive attitude reflects itself in everything from the random killing in our streets to the corporate scandles that have rocked the foundations of our economy.We can only borrow againts our future for so long. What is happening here is just another testiment. Thank You AVSIM for your love of the Hobby and your gift to us.Dennis

Guest mruane

Hi Tom,I agree with your sentiments and others who have posted a reply. Avsim is a resource that (like others) I refer to on a daily basis and it represents a valuable contribution to my hobby.The issue that has bought this negative feedback though is interesting, because it comes down to a decision to share the resource that is available. Thats not unreasonable of course. The only question therefore is - was the method chosen the best. Even then, the resource is yours and it represents your selfless efforts, so does anyone have the right to question the mechanism anyway.However you asked for feedback, so for what's is worth, from my point of view, I would rather have a slow connection than no connection at all. At least that way, I know that eventually the file will arrive. There are plenty of other things that I can do to occupy the time of a slow download, but continously retrying for a connection is counterproductive. If it ever came to a choice between no connection now and no connection ever again, well - I will take it anyway it comes and be greatful.

I am extremely grateful that AVSIM has provided me with space to upload my files. I'm glad you realize that the complainers are the minority here.I also host my own files on my own small website, and each month I see about 9GB of downloads. I imagine that AVSIM must see many more downloads of my files than I do, and that impresses upon me the magnitude of what you do here.Thanks again.- Martin

TomYou're all the best around. You've heard it from everyone else here, but ignore the ignorami.I maintain a number of "free" websites myself for various purposes; typically, I never hear from those that are happy but get all sorts of moans and groans from those that are not. I feel your pain, but remember that even though it takes only one maggot to spoil a piece of bread, they're fun to squash. And you still have the loaf.Personally, I like to see these boneheads in the forum now and again; it makes people like me look intelligent. But I'd be very happy also to give a few of them a kick in the carburettor given the chance.Don't even THINK of taking up needlework.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest racartron

I remember a sig line someone uses on one of the forums."Life is tough -- it's tougher when you're stupid."The current trend among many in society today of instant gratification allows no room for reality. "I want it and I want it now!!!" can be heard in just about every business. And those who scream it usally are not intelligent enough to even know they are making a complete and utter *ss of them selves.My Grandma used to tell me, "It's better to keep quiet and have them thing y'all a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." She was a full blooded Cherokee and passed away at the age of 102 back in 1965. So I guess the problem has been around for awhile.Anyway, hang in there cause the vast majority of us consider AVSIM the same as an old friend -- but not our only friend. Some folks just seem to not have any sort of life outside of FS -- what a shame.-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

>I can tell you this... I and to a great extent, the AVSIM>Staff, feel like the freeware authors who have thrown their>arms up in total frustration and have found other interests to>move on to. Believe me, we do this as a hobby, not a vocation.>Every one of us on AVSIM can move on and do something else.>otherwise.I was going to say, "that all sounds VERY familiar!" :) Stuff like that certainly CAN ruin it for you. Yeah - it's frustrating when you can't download, no doubt - but MOST of us undestand the problems, and know that you're doing your best.We appreciate what you do for us, Tom.

BobK