Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Just got back from KSMF

Aviasim well, how do we say, couldn't close the deal.  They announced several big projects, threw a couple of model images up, and in the end came up short, incomplete and systematically abandoned each one of the projects.  I think they eventually, after enough potential customer frustration, they just threw in the towel.  In any event, Sacramento is just one of those cities that the flight simulator payware community doesn't find too much value in representing.  There are a few freeware offerings in the library.  You may find one that suits your taste.  ORBX NCA does improve the area but has yet to improve SMF although they say that it is forthcoming in their next service pack.  We shall see.

Nick

I wouldn't mind a nice version of Sacramento as well. Unfortunately there are so many smaller regional airports like that, that it will probably be some time before they get tackled. I'm still waiting for a nice Albuquerque, Tucson, Oklahoma City, and San Antonio to name a few. Since they aren't big name and high volume airports it will probably be some time before we see them developed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wouldn't mind a nice version of Sacramento as well. Unfortunately there are so many smaller regional airports like that, that it will probably be some time before they get tackled. I'm still waiting for a nice Albuquerque, Tucson, Oklahoma City, and San Antonio to name a few. Since they aren't big name and high volume airports it will probably be some time before we see them developed.

We need to have better tools and resources in order to bring the time and expense it takes to make regional airports down. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Would love to see Tucson get developed. Spend some time in Tucson last week and the airport is pretty charming. It looks like it is under construction but the view is phenomenal. Those mountains look great.

I too would love to see a quality rendition of KSMF  I was flying out of KSAC  when they built KSMF.  A couple interesting notes regarding good old Smuff.  There was quite a controversy regarding the location.  And for good reason.  KSMF was ultimately built next to the river so it was prone to fog.  It was also right in the middle of a registered water fowl flyway.  So we had to dodge ducks and geese.  According to the FAA database KSMF has reported over two thousand bird strikes.  The original surface on the runway was a new "cutting edge" pavement that was said to provide greater traction during times when the weather was a problem.  It turned out to provide too much traction.  It was eating the tread off the tires.  After a few months,  they resurfaced the runway.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Would love to see Tucson get developed. Spend some time in Tucson last week and the airport is pretty charming. It looks like it is under construction but the view is phenomenal. Those mountains look great.

Tucson was actually modeled pretty nicely by a small payware group called Cavusim. The did a few regional type airports pretty decently. I have their Reno airport for example. Unfortunately I can no longer find any products available at the familiar online retailers.

Tucson was actually modeled pretty nicely by a small payware group called Cavusim. The did a few regional type airports pretty decently. I have their Reno airport for example. Unfortunately I can no longer find any products available at the familiar online retailers.

Thanks for the info. I did a google search and nothing came up as far as sales. 

America needs a uk2000 -like developer

We have a few, FSDT, Flightbeam, FlyTampa, and Imaginesim produce a lot of American airports

Saw a rumor that Imaginesim may be taking on SMF but it was only a single source rumor and nothing official.

Adx just posted this sneak peak which some posters said looks like Sacramento. If that's the case, looks like someone is working on it.

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/2014/12/1/trivia-which-airport-in-development#commenting=

Adx just posted this sneak peak which some posters said looks like Sacramento. If that's the case, looks like someone is working on it.

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/2014/12/1/trivia-which-airport-in-development#commenting=

It's definitely SMF.  Fortuitous timing that's for sure with this discussion.  Will be very interesting to see solid development

My birthplace!  Yaaayy!

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply