Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

I want that Stall Horn

All of the default planes and even most addon ones incorporate the default stall warning principle which warns you when you are stalling. 'Hey, that's the idea, CoolP!'

No, it's not. I want that horn sounding when I'm close to a stall. Not sure where the 'legal' value is pointed at (I guess it's some 5+ kts above), but planes like the DA20 Katana or the A2A ones do it right. You can fly the horn (does on say that?), instead of getting a 'beeeeeep' when it's too late and your landing was rendered a severe impact. :o

So is there a free mod available?

Asking because, if I set a different stall value in the aircraft.cfg, the sim not only alters the warning but also the actual stall speed. sigh

Le video re: nice stall warnings. Skip to 06:40. Or 13:55 (landing).

Disclaimers (I picked that phrase because it sounds important).

No, I don't plan to stall airliners. Although.. :BigGrin:

Yes, me is aware that stall warning systems consist of different setups, tones and principles. The point being that nearly all planes in FSX (except those mentioned) warn 'at' as opposed to having a warning value being above the actual stall speed.

Wow, that horn sounded like a drunk blowing on a dime store new years eve horn, lol Thanks for the laugh, made my night.

It can be done on a per-plane basis, but you'd need to write a gauge for that.

The gauge logic would be something like "Current IAS = stall IAS*". When the condition is true, you can play a custom stall sound by means of Doug Dawson's XML sound gauge.

*Has to be defined by the user

Wow, that horn sounded like a drunk blowing on a dime store new years eve horn, lol Thanks for the laugh, made my night.

Blown by a five-year-old to boot, lol.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

It can be done on a per-plane basis, but you'd need to write a gauge for that.

The gauge logic would be something like "Current IAS = stall IAS*". When the condition is true, you can play a custom stall sound by means of Doug Dawson's XML sound gauge.

*Has to be defined by the user

Blown by a five-year-old to boot, lol.

Most stall warnings don't work based on IAS. They are either a full on AoA sensor, or some variation of a pitot tube but angled down into the near critical AoA range, or in the case of the Cherokee 180 at my local flight school, a small, moving metal tab located on the leading edge of the wing that we have to pull up (very delicately) to test the stall warning during pre flight. Reach the critical AoA and it gets lifted up by the airflow, making an electrical contact to trigger the stall warning. So gauge logic would rather be like "if current alpha >= stall warn alpha then play sound".

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Reminds me when my instructor had me suck on our Cessna's pitot tube to see if the stall horn would work. To this day I don't know if that is ever really done or if he was just laughing at me.

Tim, this seems legit as the system the C172 (and e.g. DA20) uses works with the pressure differential as opposed to the one Jonathan describes. That horn then sounds due to the moving air.

Thanks to Bjoern for offering an idea as to how to implement the 'warning above stall speed' feature. I was thinking about a FSUIPC basis, but the sound gauge and some xml code also seems like a reasonable way.

Things get complicated when I would try to alter the pitch/volume the closer to stall I would get. That DA20 video shows how the custom gauge on that plane does it.

Good point on the AoA dependency from Jonathan. Maybe the next release of the great A2A Accufeel could incorporate this more realistic stall warning. They already offer to 'shake' the plane at certain values to give you a hint and feel.

Reminds me when my instructor had me suck on our Cessna's pitot tube to see if the stall horn would work. To this day I don't know if that is ever really done or if he was just laughing at me.

Yes, this is standard procedure. I do it everytime during pre-flight check.

Good point on the AoA dependency from Jonathan. Maybe the next release of the great A2A Accufeel could incorporate this more realistic stall warning. They already offer to 'shake' the plane at certain values to give you a hint and feel.

It would be great if user could chose if he wants sound horn or stick shaker.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Things get complicated when I would try to alter the pitch/volume the closer to stall I would get. That DA20 video shows how the custom gauge on that plane does it.

Take a stall horn .wav file and edit it with Audacity or something similar. No biggie.

Oops, I was unclear. It's always the same base tone but it gets altered literally on the fly when you get closer to the actual stall condition. The video gives the example although I would admit that one has to know that the behaviour is present to spot it.

Sort of like it happens with the engine sounds where you put in how the pitch and volume are supposed to change throughout the envelope. Re: the stall tone, you would enter the stall warning range with a low pitched and low volume 'horn' and then, while slowing down, hear how pitch and volume increase continuously.

Forgot to add. This is for the pressure driven system. The one on the leading edge reacting to the AoA would sound differently. But the basic principle is to leave that FSX system behind, warning you at the stall, switching to one where the onset triggers the warning. So small GA planes could/would actually land with the horn on, like in the video.

Take a peek into the documentation for Doug Dawson's XML sound module. I know that you can alter volume on a sound with the help of a variable. Maybe also pitch. If not, just define a condition for a low-pitched sound file and then one for a high pitched sound file.

That's good to know and I will take a look. Didn't know that the gauge was capable of altering the sounds on the fly. Thanks for the hu.

Reminds me when my instructor had me suck on our Cessna's pitot tube to see if the stall horn would work.

Tim, this seems legit as the system the C172 (and e.g. DA20) uses works with the pressure differential. 

Yes, this is standard procedure. I do it everytime during pre-flight check.

Make sure you turn off Pitot Heat first!

funny-tattoo-sore-lips.jpg

Now that Craig makes that joke, I realise that Tim wrote to 'suck on the Pitot tube'. No (revising my former statement), the system does not work there but has a dedicated 'vent'. So the underpressure behaviour is a step to check when it comes to the warning sys on those planes, but the Pitot tube has nothing to do with it.

System details. DA20 example.

The horn grows louder  as the  speed approaches the  stall  speed.  The horn  is  activated  by  suction  on  a  hose  that  leads  from  a hole  in  the  leading  edge  of  the  left  wing to  the  horn.  The hole  is  marked by  a red  circle.

The  stall  warning hole  should  be  plugged  whenever the  aircraft  is  parked  to prevent  contamination  and  subsequent  malfunction  of  the  stall  warning system.

I should read posts before I comment on them. :blush: I hope Tim reads this before encountering the next Cessna.

Maybe that's just to suck the bees out of the pitot tube :BigGrin:

Make sure you turn off Pitot Heat first!

funny-tattoo-sore-lips.jpg

Ha ha, now, when I read this comment again I have understood that it is about sucking to pitot tube, not to stall... receiver... ? (or how do you call it).

To be clear, I didn't mean sucking on pitot tube, beacuse this could lead to damaging it. I meant sucking on 'stall receiver' :rolleyes: .

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1