Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

VNAV DISCONNECT during climb

Doing it wrong! You THEN NEED to set in the FMC FL 380 and MCP ALT below FL380

Lol you only fly a 800 pc this man has flew a 41000 tonne plus AC in the real world. Worth tonnes more than your chair and desktop.

Thankfully I don't need to defend my real world experience. After all, this is flight "simulation". If I wanted to talk about my real world experience, I would go speak to my boss. And if Matt's experience is worth more than mine (which it may be... who cares?), or yours for that matter, I would hope he and yourself could understand this simple practice.And by the looks of your reply to Michael, you still ain't got it... So go crash or something.

Good day! You two have really outdone yourselves on this one, chaps. 

So go crash or something.

Thats a bit harsh man! Easy big tiger. Alot of people will take offence to that. See if i ever met you and you said that, haha end of days for you pal.

Vernon Howells

No I am not the one doing it wrong, you are.

It is harsh... And I doubt you will ever see me since you live in Scotland. I mean you could come to the US... but you would probably be stuck at FL250 trying to get to FL390 pushing that damn ALT INTV button... But like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Since you are clearly deviant in your attempt to prove something and disregard the flight manuals, you are setting yourself up for failure. That is why I say, if you don't want help, and don't want to change what you are doing, then go crash.... or something! Its your choice. I've done what I could mate. Merry Christmas. 

I mean you could come to the US.

Got a few family living in the US.

I would leave that to the experts lol

Anyway have a cold beer all the best!!!!

prove something and disregard the flight manuals

I'm not trying to prove or disregard manuals. ONLY WANTED to find out why this is happening.

AND kyle stated this in the video. JOB done!

Vernon Howells

Objection: Assumes facts not in evidence, gentlemen. Give me a quote and I'll be more likely to agree.

I have flown ALT INT planes, and I never saw it do that. That was three years ago.

My recollection is that ALT INT will take you up to cruise and leave you there until you dial something lower and it'll start you back down.

I just watch your video, Kyle. Thanks for doing that, but I don't think ALT INT will cause ALT HOLD.

Gotcha. Sorry for the assumption. I took your current situation to be the total experience.

Here's my question, though:

How many times did you hit the ALT INTV a second time to see the result? Honestly, since it isn't part of any normal procedure, I hadn't even considered or thought about this topic until now.

I'll have to bust open the manuals when I get home. As expected though, I'm out with family and only checking here in down time. I'll re-check it, but I'm at least 90% certain that what I read in the manuals backed up the result shown in the video (mostly because I had stated this even before testing in the sim), though I don't think it referenced the actual mode it dumps into though.

Edit:

And guys, I know this will sound kinda rich coming from me, but cool it. Please. Despite strong viewpoints in both directions, this can be a productive conversation regardless of the outcome if we allow it to be. Productive conversation can't happen with shots at each other.

While I might've fired off the initial "shot" with my comment about Vernon jumping on thoughts supporting his own "side," it was meant to be an observation and not a personal attack, which I believe he acknowledged.

Questioning can be good. I don't believe it at the moment, but I do leave the door opened to be proven wrong.

I think, at the very least, we all agree the question came out of not following the generally accepted procedure. And even using an altered procedure shouldn't require a second ALT INTV press, but hey...the question is on the table. Bring facts, not knives.

Kyle Rodgers

Driver170, on 25 Dec 2014 - 8:20 PM, said:

No I am not the one doing it wrong, you are.

Hahaha! I know i'm doing it wrong. Look at kyles video and re-think about your post!

Well said kyle

Vernon Howells

You're the one doing it wrong. Why on earth do that? You are operating the autopilot incorrectly and wondering why it doesn't behave as you expect. Look at the error the FMC gives you when VNAV disconnects. "Check target altitude." The FMC and MCP targets disagree. It's asking you to resolve that discrepancy. VNAV works in a defined sequence. Climb, cruise, descend. If you break that sequence the logic gets confused. Aircraft logic can't cover every combination of possible inputs. That's why there are SOPs.

Lol you only fly a 800 pc this man has flew a 41000 tonne plus AC in the real world. Worth tonnes more than your chair and desktop.

I think he got his wires crossed about Matt. But he seems to understand the system in some depth. No need to go on the attack. He might be able to throw some light on things. Pilots aren't always the best authority to discuss detailed systems operation.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Vernon

I know I am 24 minutes late but Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Michael Cubine

Vernon

I know I am 24 minutes late but Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Michael Cubine

Have a good one.

Vernon Howells