Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

B1900D - Anyone know how to see when TOD starts?

Hello all and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!

I recently purchased the Careando B1900D but cannot seem to find when I am approaching TOD. Anyone can help?

Mario Di Lauro

Calculate your own ToD.

Ex: If you are flying at 20000Ft and you need to descend at 3000Ft the diference is 17000Ft, multiply 17*3=51, so you start your descent 51NM out. If you are traveling at a GS of 220kts, half of your speed is 110kts, add a 0 to your half GS and you get 1100Ft per minute rate of descent.

Simple!!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for the aircraft to do the work for me as I tend to enjoy looking out the window more than doing math. Oh well...

Mario Di Lauro

I think you've purchased the wrong airplane if that's what you're looking for. The Beech is a very basic regional turbo prop, no autopilot either. The most fun I have had in my flying career has been flying the beech. The Beech is a workhorse but it will not do all the fancy shmancy canculating stuff other airplanes do for you. It's simple to calculate anyways. I'm pretty sure after a few times you'll be doing it without even realizing it while you look out the window :)

Have fun 

Reik Namreg

The Beech is a very basic regional turbo prop, no autopilot either.

It doesn't have an autopilot???

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

It doesn't have an autopilot???

Flight Director is standard but to save weight autopilot was optional. Since this airplane was a 55 minute bird, its cruise range was based on grandma's bladder (there is also no lavatory,) autopilot is not really necessary. There was provisions for Collins FCS 65 automatic flight system and some operators choose to install.

It always bugged me the more senior you got the bigger airplanes had better equipment and you got paid allot more to do allot less actual flying.

Hmm…I'll have to mention that lack-of-lavatory to my VA, which has the 1900 on a 2.2 hour route! ;-)

James David Walley

That surprises me the 1900 doesn't have an autopilot where as almost all of the King Air family does in fact have one.  Learn something new everyday.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Realize that we are discussing standard green airplane off the factory floor.

Beechcraft offered options with the UE serial numbered B1900Ds that included an autopilot. Thus while some aircraft did not have autopilots some did, enough in fact that we teach the autopilot as a part of the initial aircraft qualification course for the 1900. Each airline was also responsible for outfitting their airplane's interior. Thus while most did not have a lavatory there was an interior option that included the lav.

Thus I wouldn't say that your VA is wrong putting a 1900 on a 2.2 hour route unless they did so and also had the cabin equipped for 19 passengers. The only lavatory option that I have seen is based on the weight and balance section of the AFM. It shows 18 seats and the lavatory occupies a large portion of the cargo area (page 6-8.) These airplanes are already baggage limited so it is hard for me to see an airplane in this configuration unless it is being used in some sort of charter or executive configuration.

The one thing I have learned to be careful of in aviation is absolutes. Just about when you think you have seen everything someone pulls some Frankenstein airplane out of a hangar. 

It appears my VA might have set the wrong aircraft for that particular route on their schedule.  We shall see.

Also, of course, the Carenado B1900D does come with an AP. 

James David Walley

The Army uses the C-12J, which is the 1900, as more of a higher capacity transport aircraft. The fill it to the brim and fly longer legs. But I also understand that they are not the average airline and costs analysis for them is a bit different.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

That surprises me the 1900 doesn't have an autopilot where as almost all of the King Air family does in fact have one.  Learn something new everyday.

Well, the King AIr is more of a single pilot machine than the 1900 (although some rare operators may use it single pilot for cargo), thus an autopilot is not always required, since there is often a second meat servo on board. 

This said, I have flown King Air's without autopilot.

My previous airline decided not to have autopilots installed except for two of them. We had 2 B1900s on a military contract and the contract required autopilot equiped aircraft. Our routes were short typically 45-55 minutes, however we had a few that were blocked at an 1:40. On those I made sure to empty my bladder right before boarding pax. It's truly a beautiful aircraft that's very forgiving and stable. Very powerful and responsive. A dream to fly!

Reik Namreg

I might have the chance in the future to fly one depending on where my next assignment is. I guess we will see. 

Nick Hatchel