Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Andersen

Recommended FPS friendly payware aircraft

I had to add to this list. Baytower. RV7. Get it. Period.  I would rank this as high as possible and best frame rate per good looks. It' simply the best IMO.

Over and Out.

I highly highly second this. Cool Sky has great immersion, and perfect FPS. The near perfect FSX plane.

Along with Coolsky, after testing MANY planes on hard scenery, I recommend:

1) Majestic Q400

2) Iris Aviator DiamondStar

3) A2a Piper 180 (NOT the 172 or heaven forbid the horrible fps 182)

4) Carenado C114 Commander, Baron, or Jetprop

As far as scenery, I highly recommend MegasceneyX (old but great)

I do NOT recommend FTX anything (scenery or planes), they dont care about frame rates, they are wasteful. And even worse is France VFR.

Alabeo 172RG Cutlass, absolutely DESTROYS every other P3Dv2 add-on aircraft I have. Good stable fps and almost stutter-free, I don't know why or how that particular aircraft is so good on performance but it is. I also have the Alabeo c207 skywagon but it gives lower fps and more stutters. A2A C182 is my favourite aircraft in both FSX and P3Dv2 but I can barely fly it in P3Dv2 because it is such a performance hog, especially in Orbx country. I'm also curious which aircraft out there has good performance in P3Dv2 because I'm not buying any more aircraft for P3Dv2 unless I know they are good on performance. People say the A2A Cherokee performs quite well, I already have it in FSX but I'm not willing to buy it again for P3Dv2 if it's a rollercoaster fps/stutterfest.

Mainly, most of the aircraft you can find that don't rely heavily on glass instruments should suit you well. Almost all of the Alabeo stuff fits that profile, and they are quality.

Another that I haven't seen anyone mention is the Lotus L-39 Albatross, which is a fun little jet to tool around in and is of decent quality, despite its age.

One last authoritative opinion after much standardized FPS testing on (GA) aircraft (4 year old i3570K, @4.1 GHz, GTX750ti, all of the below are 60FPS). Actually, I wanted to reply to this after my opinion of Alabeo with respect to framerate has really diminished over the years with more and more complicated releases. I thought Alabeo was the simpler arm of Carenado, now it means nothing.

In order of best FPS and for me, general aviation fun:

1) Baytower RV7 (can be installed to P3Dv3)

2) Iris Grob Tutor

3) Carenado C114

4) Alabeo DA40

5) Iris Aviator Series DA42 (Iris DA40 sometimes has better framerates, sometimes not)

6) Alabeo Saratoga

Actually, among this list the Iris Aviator series DA-42 blows everyone else away overall. Pity its not supported anymore. My absolute favorite plane.

My opinion of Iris keeps getting better.

Dear fellow flight simmers

I am really starting to enjoy P3D moving more and more of my simming time away from FSX. P3D grows on you...the lighting, shadows, autogen, etc. For example, after spending some time in P3D, the autogen popping in FSX is becoming increasingly unbearable!

I get really great performance with most default P3D aircrafts. High fps, smooth and stutterfree flight. However many payware addons has a very significant reduction in performance. For example I bought A2A cesna 182 and performance is good in rural areas, however if I try flying over say Ontario international the immersion is getting killed by a lot of stutters and low fps. With default aircraft like the Baron I can enjoy high fps and stutterfree flight in the same area.

Hence over to my question. Can you guys recommend some great payware aircraft addons that are FPS friendly?

I would recommend the A2A Comanche, it's a blast to fly and offers minimal FPS drops!

I'm getting around 50-60 FPS in the VC and around 70-80 FPS in an external view!

The best fps aircraft (although not GA) in my stable right now is the Majestic Dash 8.

The best fps aircraft (although not GA) in my stable right now is the Majestic Dash 8.

Absolutely.  Likely the most frame rate friendly aircraft in the higher quality/realism based models.  About 4000 hours in the Pro version, and not once anything other than stellar performance.  This isn't a fluke, it was designed this way!!!

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Another that I haven't seen anyone mention is the Lotus L-39 Albatross, which is a fun little jet to tool around in and is of decent quality, despite its age.

Right On!

My best frame rates remains while flying my Majestic software Q400 Pro.

Mike

A2A aircraft are very good on frames, don't understand why you are having problems. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Since you mention the default aircraft, roughly on par with them in terms of functionality, would be Virtualcol.

Not always among the prettiest graphically in the cockpits, but pretty much guaranted to have blistering frame rates, since they are about on par with defeult aeroplanes in terms of systems and graphics. As noted, they are unlikely to win any awards for pretty VCs, so be sure to have a look at screenshots before deciding to buy (or not) in order to be certain you could live with the looks in the cockpit (external models are usually excellent), nor do they feature massively complex avionics functionality, so don't be expecting working circuit breakers etc (although that does mean they always work well with voice control apps such as MCE). Above all, they have the virtue of being really inexpensive and they absolutely go like the clappers as far as frame rates are concerned because of their relative simplicity, which means you can cheerfully shove all your simulation graphics sliders over to the right when flying them and have all your fancy scenery add-ons running at full throttle.

I know most people are probably gonna disagree with me on recommending these because they aren't very fancy in comparison to stuff from say, Carenado or FSL, but personally, I have a lot of fun with things like their ATR-42/72 and their Shorts 360. You certainly can't argue with their prices (for example, 15 quid for their ATR42/72, which features nine different aircraft variants), and the fact that all of them work in FSX, FSX-SE, P3D 1, P3D 2 and P3D 3 is of course a bonus too, as is the fact that you get a ton of liveries with all of them. Aso worth noting, is that support is excellent from the developer, if you have any issues.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here