Sign in to follow this  
ark

Anyone Using RealTrim with FSX-SE?

RealTrim is a small but useful program for setting a/c trim that I have been using successfully with FSX, but cannot get it to work with FSX-SE on my side-by-side FSX/FSX-SE system (does still work with FSX). I have run all the legacy simconnect installers, but the RealTrim log reports it cannot find the sim (FSX-SE).  I'm trying to determine if the problem is with my particular system setup (which uses Win7/64) or if the issue is inherent to RealTrim wrt the installation of FSX-SE.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thx,

Al

but the RealTrim log reports it cannot find the sim (FSX-SE)

I don't have Steam, but I know that some of the folder locations of the original FSX files have changed. Maybe that's why RealTrim is having difficulty locating them. This thread discusses the problem:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-on-steam-compatibility.432460

And I'm sure a google search on FSX-SE  folder changes would throw up some more? 

Eugene

I only have FSX-se installed and it connects okay. 

I dont see a trim log, just the trim ini file 

ZORAN

Thanks all for the feedback.

BTW, to get a log file you need to have logging=1 in the realtrim. ini file.

Al

Using RealTrim in FSXSE, but had to create a dll.xml entry for it to make it work. Don't know if it has always been like that.

For reference:

<Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Realtrim</Name>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <Path>D:\FSX Modules\realtrim.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>

(Your path will obviously differ from mine.)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Bjoern, thanks for the response.  Yes, you always have to edit the dll.xml file as part of the RealTrim install process.

As with some other addons, the difficulty with RealTrim and FSX-SE seems just to be when you have a dual system with both FSX and FSX-SE installed.

Bjoern, do you have the regular, boxed edition of FSX installed along with FSX-SE, or just FSX-SE alone?

Thx,

Al

Bjoern, do you have the regular, boxed edition of FSX installed along with FSX-SE, or just FSX-SE alone?

Only FSXSE.

Does the path in FSXSE's dll.xml point to the correct location of realtrim.dll?

Do you have FSUIPC 4.938c installed for FSXSE?

Only FSXSE.

Does the path in FSXSE's dll.xml point to the correct location of realtrim.dll?

Do you have FSUIPC 4.938c installed for FSXSE?

Yes to both questions. The log file shows the realtrim dll does run, but can't find the sim and so quits. The problem has to do with simconnect, I think, and the author of RealTrim is looking into the situation to see if he can determine what is the crux of the problem.

Thx,

Al

Yes to both questions. The log file shows the realtrim dll does run, but can't find the sim and so quits. The problem has to do with simconnect, I think, and the author of RealTrim is looking into the situation to see if he can determine what is the crux of the problem.

Thx,

Al

SimConnect you say?

Try the tip from the third and fourth paragraph in this post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458665-a-couple-of-tips-for-fsxse-users/#entry3144005

Yep, thanks, I have tried that, and Programs and Features in the Control Panel shows I have four versions ( or maybe it's five, I'm not home right now to check) of the simconnect dll installed.

The mystery is why RealTrim works for those that only have SFX-SE installed, but apparently not with FSX-SE for those that have both FSX and FSX-SE on the same machine, at least no one with both sims installed has reported RealTrim works with FSX-SE.  And I know of at least one other person with both sims installed that has the same problem with RealTrim as I do.  BTW, just to be clear, RealTrim does work in the dual sim situation with FSX, just not with FSX-SE.

Al

The mystery is why RealTrim works for those that only have SFX-SE installed, but apparently not with FSX-SE for those that have both FSX and FSX-SE on the same machine, at least no one with both sims installed has reported RealTrim works with FSX-SE.  And I know of at least one other person with both sims installed that has the same problem with RealTrim as I do.  BTW, just to be clear, RealTrim does work in the dual sim situation with FSX, just not with FSX-SE.

That might be because RealTrim somehow fails to distinguish between FSXMS and FSXSE.

In a dual installation, FSXMS uses the registry entry everyone is familiar with, but FSXSE has its own, custom one.

When FSXSE is installed standalone, it uses FSXMS' registry entries. Hence, RealTrim will not get confused.

So the solution to the problem is either ditching FSXMS and going for a standalone installation of FSXMS or contacting the author of RealTrim so that he implements an improved registry check function (or removes it altogether)

Bjoern,

As I mentioned above, the RealTrim author is looking into the problem -- I'll pass your thoughts along to him.

Thx for the feedback,

Al