Sign in to follow this  
BMagann

Moving cockpit graphics to a new screen

I would like to move the cockpit graphics from my main screens and place them on a separate screen. The idea is that my three main screens will only display scenery in Nvidia surround (I use surround now but the cockpit is displayed on those screens), and the fourth screen will have the instrument panel. I have seen that this is possible, but I don't know how to do it. Is it possible to undock the instrument panel on let's say the base 737 move it around? 

I have all the equipment in place, and I can click on the PFD, MFD, and EICAS and drag them, but what if I want the entire panel? This must be a simple thing to do, but I can't accomplish it even though I have been in this hobby since 1984. It seems like it was simple back in the day to move the cockpit graphic, but it is defeating me right now.

- Bill Magann

The way I got around it for my BN-2 cockpit build was to buy a refurbished iPad and run the app called Remote Flight Cockpit, which shows all the six pack gauges. For flying bizjets and airliners I use another app called Airtrack. A second iPad is mounted as a gps map over on the right seat panel, and that runs Remote Flight Map.

EDIT- I too use Nvidia surround and three monitors.

First of all, great screen name!

Thanks for your reply. I have given that some thought, and will look more closely into that option.

Bill

- Bill Magann

I have all the equipment in place, and I can click on the PFD, MFD, and EICAS and drag them, but what if I want the entire panel? This must be a simple thing to do, but I can't accomplish it even though I have been in this hobby since 1984. It seems like it was simple back in the day to move the cockpit graphic, but it is defeating me right now.

Un-docking and moving a 2d (flat) panel is possible, but only if one exists!

Most aircraft these days do not have a 2d panel at all. It is impossible to "move" a 3d virtual cockpit to another monitor, as it is an integral part of the visible model.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Un-docking and moving a 2d (flat) panel is possible, but only if one exists!

Most aircraft these days do not have a 2d panel at all. It is impossible to "move" a 3d virtual cockpit to another monitor, as it is an integral part of the visible model.

Yes I believe you hit the nail on the head.

- Bill Magann

The Microsoft-default Cessna 172 Skyhawk has a very good 2D "IFR" panel that is easy to move around and only has the instruments without showing a black windshield.  I have seen this used in several hybrid simulators half video monitor and half hard controls from either Saitek or GoFlight or whoever.  This rectangular shape works great on a separate screen, I have also seen a few semi-circular 2D panels for single wide trainers.  Try searching this site and other sites for "2D widescreen panel" I know there are a couple more out there. 

Good luck

JD

Are you talking about the default 737? In that case like was said about the cessna with shift+1 you open the 2d panel, right click and undock, then you can move it.

It is also possible to open a new view window and switch to vc mode and move that window to another screen. That might hit performance, though.

Also look for crgsim it's a stand alone glass cockpit that can run on the same or a networked computer.

Currently I have a solution similar to Mithras but I use Android.

Thanks guys for all the help. I'll give it a try.

Just to be clear, are we talking about starting in the VC? I don't seem to be able to get a 2D cockpit to come up from there by hitting shift + 1. To be honest I can't get a 2d cockpit to come up at all for the default 737. I feel very stupid right now.

- Bill Magann

No problem. Try going through the view menu then. The default 737 does have a 2d panel unless you messed with it ;)

See these pictures. First is undocked 2d panel (you may need FS panel studio to make some adjustments). The second one is a new view, window undocked, showing the virtual cockpit.

N8FpQPO.jpg

5C3HplZ.jpg