Sign in to follow this  
Acetone

Outerra mods news

Man, I hope this will mature into something soon. It has so much potential. 

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Man, I hope this will mature into something soon. It has so much potential. 

outerra_promo.jpg

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Uriah posts some pictures in the Outerra Forum. http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3154.30

Coming soon........

BvYDTPb.png

Sb5fz7x.png

I12TocS.png

lWspWHd.png

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

lWspWHd.png

Hey, I wonder if this MFD and this HUD are entirely functional?

Maybe, who knows? :Whistle:

• Upvote 1

More pictures, this time from Acetone.

c4AgLy3.jpg

kwFeJg4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

That MiG looks pretty sweet...

To be honest, what I really want to fly whenever I see Outerra pics is helicopters.  Something where you can get low and fly everywhere!

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

To be honest, what I really want to fly whenever I see Outerra pics is helicopters.  Something where you can get low and fly everywhere!

The next update will includes this new version of the Apache :)

SFRef4R.jpg

HerkqeG.jpg

• Upvote 2

The next update will includes this new version of the Apache :)

Cool.  Going to have to (re)download and try it out sooner rather than later.  I've downloaded before, but I always get tied up in other stuff and never get around to trying it out.

Although... As cool as all the military hardware is (MiG-29, Apache), when I see screens from Outerra, I always think of bush flying.  Perhaps it's the lack of buildings and roads and all, but seriously, give me this engine with an area that has decent detail north of the 55th plus one or two high fidelity bush planes and a good small heli, and I'd never need any other sim.  Ever.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Cool.  Going to have to (re)download and try it out sooner rather than later.  I've downloaded before, but I always get tied up in other stuff and never get around to trying it out.

Although... As cool as all the military hardware is (MiG-29, Apache), when I see screens from Outerra, I always think of bush flying.  Perhaps it's the lack of buildings and roads and all, but seriously, give me this engine with an area that has decent detail north of the 55th plus one or two high fidelity bush planes and a good small heli, and I'd never need any other sim.  Ever.

I've wanted a Cub for a long time.......... The perfect plane for bush flying.

Devons rig

Back when I was working on the Talkeetna scenery, I asked if anyone would be interested in making a small bush plane for it. Unfortunately at the time, Levi was already busy with his projects and nobody else really interested. A cub would be really great, especially when we get the rivers...

I really hope some new content creators more interested by GA will jump aboard, there is a ton of things already possible with the engine. If someone who might be interested is lurking in this thread and would like to try, PM me. There are several talented and well experienced modelers and programmers who will be more than happy to help you if necessary (Uriah and KW71 for example). Devs of the engine included, they always respond to our questions and requests :)

New Mod released by Acetone, celebrating Andflys wonderful creations: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3534.0;topicseen

FROM ACETONE: After the release of latest Andfly's boat, I made a small harbor for it, then started to add more stuff around, and finally decided to use this small location as a sort of showcase for his great work smiley.gif

Download 110mb - otx package

All of Andfly's mods are included. The package also contains some models ported by Levi (world2Xplane - PL houses, and wind turbine). A cam_pos is included.

HkUK0qe.jpgdjwBsX4.jpgLvke9xP.jpgH7X4xcq.jpg

The area is also a nice location if you want to visit the western Italian coast!

Oh yeah, and I butchered Andfly's name everywhere, so sorry if it's spelled "Andyfly"...

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

From Uriah: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3542.msg40384#new

[WIP] SF-197C - Hypersonic Military Space Plane Project

Hello everyone!

Since I joined Outerra a little over a year ago, I've been kicking around an idea, and I thought it might be good to share my preliminary concept to get some feedback, and of course for eye candy!  laugh.gif

My concept is to design a hypersonic fighter/interceptor type space plane, which is capable of single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO), conventional takeoff and landing, and speeds in excess of Mach 8 in the atmosphere. It is roughly based on existing concepts and technology which will become feasible over the next several decades, and may be employed in future 7th generation long range fighter aircraft. After a few sketches and a number of iterations, I came up with the following conceptual design, which is "like the F-22 and SR-71 had a baby". I'm still in the early mockup stage, and produced a very basic prototype in Outerra, including an experimental flight model, textures for thermal tiless and thermal blankets, cockpit layouts, weapon bays, landing gear, propulsion systems, attitude control systems, and flight control surfaces.

In order to keep a fictitious design as realistic as possible, (sorry there will be no flux capacitor here) I'm employing a propulsion system similar to the SABRE designed by Reaction Engines Limited, which is described as a "combined-cycle, air-breathing rocket propulsion system". In the air-breathing mode, it uses a pre-cooler and turbo-compressor to burn compressed air with on-board Liquid Hydrogen (LH2), while in the pure rocket mode outside of the atmosphere it burns stored Liquid Oxygen (LOX). At an approximate mixture ratio of 5:1 (five parts oxidizer, one part LH2), only a fraction of the total burned propellant needs to be carried, which makes the mass fraction (propellant burned as a percent of total vehicle mass) much lower, and thus allows the vehicle to reach orbit without the use of an additional booster or multiple stages. I have already been able to build such an engine and fuel system in JSBSim, but to make it realistic will require much more research and calculations.

One of the major foreseeable problems is how this would fit into gameplay which could be adapted for online multiplayer while remaining entertaining, the problem here being time. Newton's equations of motion and orbital mechanics dictate that a single revolution in Low Earth Orbit is approximately 90 minutes. Many of the games which use even somewhat realistic orbital mechanics employ a means to accelerate time, so that could can speed up the game. Now that does work, but only with single-player mode, and therefore many games have chosen not to use orbital mechanics altogether, or real physics of any kind for that matter. It is a problem of keeping players engaged during those long orbital periods, and that is just in obit of a planet, now image a transfer orbit to another planetary body, which could take days, months or years. The only conclusion I can reach is that any multiplayer game using real orbital mechanics would need to be multiplayer only to the extent of the crew of a spacecraft, while opponents would need to be AI. In this manner, the pilot could have control of the time acceleration, and in the gameplay the crew goes to sleep and wakes up at the destination, which is a nice, yet limited, solution. Now, people have suggested, "why not just use really powerful propulsion", but you have to remember orbital period is a function of velocity, and increasing velocity would only increase the semi-major axis putting you into a higher more eccentric orbit, which actually increases the orbital period. It is counter intuitive, but an orbit with a lower ECI velocity (fixed inertial frame of reference) actually completes one revolution in less time than an orbit with a higher velocity, because a greater distance is traveled in the higher orbit even though the velocity is higher.

Additional details on this project will be revealed in the future, but I would really like to hear any feedback and suggestions you might have!

Best regards,

Uriah

Conceptual mockup of the SF-197C flight vehicle and one of its long range missiles, dubbed the SBM-67A Ghostrider, as they might look in the future with special effects.

33u0m4m.png18wRndn.png

Here are some additional screenshots in Outerra.

OiJiXIJ.jpgDCCfUdO.jpg

qXfDPjX.jpgVc3DV1I.jpg

Zc0ex0F.jpg7YvMfxZ.jpg

Devons rig

Another present to Outerra from Andfly

I'm always surprised by anything she does. http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3569.0;topicseen

24dkidy.jpg

Here's a little game ...   laugh.gif

A flock of birds flying in a completely autonomous manner in Anteworld sky.
I used the eagle  because it was the only bird I had available even if, in reality, the eagles do not fly in group ... but the purpose is just for demonstration: I liked the effect I had obtained, and the sense of majesty that inspired me, and ... I thought it was nice to share it.
Create the model was not overly complicated (I already had at their disposal a single eagle model).
Most of the time I employed in an attempt to endow the birds of the little artificial intelligence to know how to act in all possible flight situations, and then not crashing to the ground and do know where to go.
And, unfortunately, I have to admit to not have succeeded as I wanted.
I'm missing something basic: I have not found a function of JsbSim or of Outerra APIs that notify me of the presence of an obstacle on the route and the relative distance.
The one feature that all flight simulators fans know and that triggers the dramatic warning "Pull Up .. Pull Up !!" or "Eject.. Eject  !!" which invites you to immediately change a risky collision course with the ground.
The only comparison that, in the end, I could make was the one with the altitude above the ground, which works well enough if you fly on a hilly terrain and in any case with "soft" changes in altitude, but it does not work equally well if you have to overcome the barrier of a vertical rock wall.

The principle of operation of the model is simple.
As soon as you create the first eagle start the creation of twenty birds alike in the immediate vicinity.
Each bird takes as a reference, for its route, the location where it was created.
The flight directives are:
- Maintain the reference altitude.
- Maintain a fairly constant attitude: correct roll and pitch if they become too prominent.
- Pull up quickly if the height of the terrain becomes too small.
- Increase the frequency of flapping of wings and "take a nosedive lightly" when you approach the stall speed.
- Set a slight turn when you move too far from their point of reference.

Every bird of the flock will perform a wide circle (about two kilometers) and will return to the coordinates of its point of reference and, if no obstacles that break down, will continue to fly indefinitely.

The result seems pretty nice though, of course, after a while it gets boring ... rolleyes.gif
The purpose of this model, in fact, is to "animate the scene" creating an environment a little "more alive" while using another driveable model or to decorate a movie!

TIPS:

The birds that I used (eagles of fifteen meters, I'd already available) are large enough to be visible from a distance, but also the flight path is vast and you are likely to "lose sight" or not being able to follow all the their evolution.
For this purpose it is very useful to set the "min_obj_size = 1.0" in the file "eng.cfg".

Another curiosity is to try the power of your computer:
If you stay at the controls of an eagle and, during the simulation, you press ALT + R, will cause the reload of the model and are created twenty other eagles in addition to those already present.
My Computer (Asus Laptop, Core i7, Nvidia 940M) bears fine until sixty eagles, begins to suffer with eighty and a hundred no longer offers an acceptable result.
Whereas the original model eagle single is already full of calculations enough I was very pleasantly surprised at how optimization of Outerra engine can allow this performance ... with more powerful computers is perhaps possible to achieve even better performance!

Good fun!

To download the model:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgaFpxUnpqaXNxclE/view?usp=sharing

Devons rig