Sign in to follow this  
jcpg

FSX Steam edition

Hi simmers,

I have 2 questions.      1) If I upgrade my FSX with all the upgrades and working very well, to FSX Steam edition, I will not loose any planes and all the add ons that I have now, right?

2) What are the advantages of getting the Steam Edition?

Thank you in advance.

JCPG

There are a few addons that are not quite yet FSX-Steam compatible, you would have to check your addons individually to see if they are compatible .

Unless you are having problems with FSX, I really would not move over on to it. There are no real advantages to be gained over a perfectly working FSX install.

I myself intended to move over to the Steam Edition but I have been having massive problems with terrain.dll crashes that have pretty much rendered it useless. Until Dovetail come out with a fix, I'm back on FSX which was actually working OK in the first plac

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

Hi simmers,

I have 2 questions.      1) If I upgrade my FSX with all the upgrades and working very well, to FSX Steam edition, I will not loose any planes and all the add ons that I have now, right?

2) What are the advantages of getting the Steam Edition?

Thank you in advance.

JCPG

This is not an "upgrade"... so to 1) not right   2)  none, if your FSX is working well.

Bert

If you leave FSX on your system and install FSX-SE, it will locate itself parallel to your current setup, in new folders. Some addons can work right away, but since some addons must access deeper into FSX, they may have to be updated for these new folders. Generally FSX scenery and planes folders can be linked to a parallel -SE setup without issue, and addons specifically designed for the new -SE locations can be installed into it, but may not work in the old FSX.

If the original FSX is removed completely from the system, then FSX-SE will be installed to look just like original FSX. This way most addons work fine, some may need the legacy simconnect interfaces installed from the -SE SDK folders, not a big deal. However, a fragment of original FSX, or some kind of system complication presented to the installer, will elevate it to go for the parallel installation locations.

There are slight performance improvements and some changes to the scene rendering, and some background tasks take longer giving more throughput to the main tasks. Results in a less choppy sim and better fps in some circumstances.

The original FSX code has been recompiled with newer, stricter compilers. Depending on how addons are made, this may cause a problem for some, and they might crash the sim.

You have to be logged on to Steam to use it, and it can be installed on your other PCs.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi there, ok not really worth it sinse my FSX is working well.

Thanks