Just wondering if this computer will run FSX fine. Thanks for the help!

-4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx2)

-NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1GB DDR3

-Windows 8.1 (64Bit) 

-1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

I just realized that I put this post in the wrong forum! Sorry about that, this is my first post.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think that in the current configuration, I could run FSX with the 737ngx? I don't use that much scenery.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Looks like you're going for a notebook; make sure it's ready to run games over a longer period (FSX is very CPU-reliant, so good cooling is needed - often a problem with notebooks).

About how much does the GPU affect the frames in FSX? Is it more of a visual thing? Sorry, but i am not that good at the computer side of flight simulation. 

A middle of the road card is fine, but that's a lower end one.  A 750M would be the minimum I'd go with in a notebook.  If you don't care about AA (makes jagged edges appear smooth) and you don't care about addons that 720 will probably be compatible with FSX... but that's about it.  People play FSX with onboard video in some of the newer desktop CPU's - but just barely.

What would you say is an economical card, that is still able to run FSX with the PMDG 737 at good frames? Thanks for the help.

You will have to seriously dial down your settings with those specs, and forget about payware scenery.  It also will not be able to run P3D properly.  I would highly recommend putting that money into a custom PC instead, you'll get a much more evolutive system.

I got a really good deal on this computer, so is the GPU the weakest point? And what should I get to replace the GPU? Thanks.

It's hard to say. Are you buying the system from Dell, and how much are you paying? What's your budget?

Umm... that system will perform just fine if you don't want to build a custom PC. I have an i5 3570 (non-K), 750ti, and 6 gigs of RAM and I can maintain 18 fps at FSDT KJFK in the NGX with 40% WOAI traffic on DX10. I'd get more without AI. I think that i7 4790 would perform way better than my i5. But, you should upgrade the GPU in the future. I think you could manage for now. I have a GT630 for a backup graphics card, and it ran the NGX alright.

And guys... that's a desktop, not a laptop.

Thanks for the input TheNerd. The pc will be coming in about five more days, so I guess we will see then. I should have mentioned it earlier, but yes, it is a desktop. What do you think about GPU affecting fps in FSX? 

yes, i am in the U.S

639 bucks is a pretty good deal. It would be hard to get a similar PC for that price. With that $120 you should get a GTX750 or 750ti. It's a pretty decent card for a low price.

I get about 18 fps at FSDT KJFK with REX + OD 1024 and FTX Global in DX10. Not bad if you ask me.