Sign in to follow this  
Guest babewatcher

So, How is ASV5?

>Victor,>>In reality it is a roller coaster as well at times. You learn>to stay away from the leeside of a mountain and when crossing>a ridge to do it at sufficient altitude. I used to be an>fanatic hang glider pilot, doing most of my flying in the>mountains. In a hang glider, sail plane or paraglider you need>vertical air currents to go up. It sure is rough, but so much>fun. Landing in turbulent conditions is the tricky part.>>Henri>I'll have to study my "Flying the Mountains" book more then!

Mike,I helped to test the product.One of the exciting moments using the product was when I was on a cross country trip at FL330 and the PMDG 737 was indicating the same winds as the ASV winds aloft panel. Approaching the next upper winds reporting area, the wind vector slowly changed to the match the report.Perhaps you are familiar with previous AS products that averaged the wind vector to the surrounding stations. In some situations, the vector would turn clockwise 180 degrees, then counterclockwise 180 degrees as the program attempted to average all winds aloft stations. Very unrealistic and it made it really tough to properly plan fuel usage, not to mention the auto-throttle going nuts. The solution was to enter the flight plan into AS and it could then determine the average winds along the entire route and forced the wind to that setting. Again, not realistic, but better than having winds coming from all over the place.That's all different now as ASV takes complete control of the winds, horizontally and vertically. Furthermore, you can custom control the vertical air simulation by editing a thermals.txt file.Bruce

Guest GiZBUG

How much to upgrade from 4.51? Or is it a free upgrade?

Hi EVERYONE,WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR!! After 2 days of SOME people complaining of the update price and such, it has been a joy to read this entire thread and not read of one complaint. I read EVERYONE's feedback and WOW I have tears in my eyes. You ALL have captured the efforts and output of Damian, Chris, and the entire team. From the bottom of my heart we thank you all!!FYI, two AVSIM reviewers have a copy and will be writing a review as soon as they can. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest SoarPics

"...SOME people complaining of the update price and such..."Uhhh, Jim, it's not an "update" (at least not to me), it's an entirely new version. And quite nicely done at that.:-beerchug Greg

Guest panda234

ummm, update? My copy shows build #314. That's a of builds for an update, hehe. Good job all around! I flew out of CYVR with heavy clouds earlier this evening and my fps were great. Couldn't fly in clouds before like that so this is a new experience. I love it! And the visuals are stunning. Adds a whole new dimension...billg

Hi Greg. Thanks for the info. I've just purchased ASV but haven't had much time to experience all of its features. It seems though that everyone is having a blast with it. Take care,

Guest Armstrang

Pay the extra money and get the stand-alone version. The upgrade version will require you to keep track of AS2004 and its info as long as you have ASV.

Guest Armstrang

Ahh! Now, I am finally home, and can apologize for making a statement without researching properly. The Full Install is, indeed, part of the upgrade.Jim, from AS, very kindly pointed me in the right direction this AM by e-mail.I will attend to some domestic business, then get to work on getting ASV up and running properly.Thanks, Jim! Thanks, AS!Regards - Steve

Just my 2 cents,having been part of this team as a beta tester for I believe a couple of years now, I can tell you this is one of the most dedicated group I've ever been involved with. Damian was working like crazy and the even crazier beta testers wouldn't let him sleep until we found it to be as perfect as a initial release can be ;-)Gotta go back beta testing, ... uh forgot, no more testing...or is there more testing Damian ;-)Cheers,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAMD64-3400,1GB/2700DDRAM,WinXP(SP2),DirectX9.0c,Geforce6800(128MB)(Det.71.89), CH Yoke/Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Just wanted to add my thanks as well. I have thought about getting 4.5 for awhile now, but knew that this version was coming eventually, so I waited. Just got my copy and installed, did a few quick flights in Bills Pacer around BC and it was very, very impressive, so much so I wasn't paying attention and a downdraft slammed me into a mountain and with Bills damage modeling in the Pacer,.... it was an experience! LOLFWIW I do have a percieved increase in performance with the huge amounts of clouds it displayed, have to experiment further, but thanks to the whole team for a great product!Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated."The solution was to enter the flight plan into AS and it could then determine the average winds along the entire route and forced the wind to that setting. Again, not realistic, but better than having winds coming from all over the place."true, I was aware that it did require 'pre processing' to avoid this radically shifting wind vector"That's all different now as ASV takes complete control of the winds, horizontally and vertically"If one of the developers or their representative can confirm your above statement (radical windshifting eliminated and no user requirement for flight plan preprocessing) I will purchase this product.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Hi Mike,It is true that no flight plan or pre-processing is necessary to prevent wind shifts, not only with ASV but with AS2004.5 as well. We worked this out with Pete. You could ask him as a 3rd party, but I know that is not your intent. This is true if you use the registered or un-registered version of FSUIPC.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg