Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

Really? Wouldn't have guessed that but good to know. Trying to find a cure to my stutters it sure would be a cheaper solution to buy a new cloud set rather than new hardware :wink:

Will keep it in mind!

Well I would do try a different setup in P3D with other choices... ;-)

André

Well I would do try a different setup in P3D with other choices... ;-)

Yeah, maybe I've been a little bit too optimistic :wink:

What settings would you start with decreasing?

Richard Åsberg

Do you have the TITAN X? maybe open a new post so we dont mix things in here

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Well Michael...I was the one starting this thread and the main purpose of doing so was trying to find out how good a Titan X would be over other GFX cards in P3Dv2.5 such as my current first gen Titan.

The main question for mer personally creating this thread was to figure out just that, how much benefit I would have replacing my current card with this new Titan X card and to come to a conclusion of course I need to weight in all options such as tweaking settings to see if that could give me the increase in performance I'm looking for or if I have to (and if that would help) replace my card.

So...if you think this thread isn't going in the direction you like because I asked a couple of question on how to if possible I could improve my experience with my current card I suggest you start your own thread exclusive for nothing but the Titan X card.

However to me it comes very natural to compare the Titan X and it's possible benefits to what you already got and what you can achieve by tweaking stuff vs replacing your hardware. Again, this was the main purpose of posting this thread from the very beginning and I'm happy I did since this thread now contains lots of valuable input for anyone thinking of buying the new Titan X card.

Richard Åsberg

Well Michael...I was the one starting this thread and the main purpose of doing so was trying to find out how good a Titan X would be over other GFX cards in P3Dv2.5 such as my current first gen Titan.

The main question for mer personally creating this thread was to figure out just that, how much benefit I would have replacing my current card with this new Titan X card and to come to a conclusion of course I need to weight in all options such as tweaking settings to see if that could give me the increase in performance I'm looking for or if I have to (and if that would help) replace my card.

So...if you think this thread isn't going in the direction you like because I asked a couple of question on how to if possible I could improve my experience with my current card I suggest you start your own thread exclusive for nothing but the Titan X card.

However to me it comes very natural to compare the Titan X and it's possible benefits to what you already got and what you can achieve by tweaking stuff vs replacing your hardware. Again, this was the main purpose of posting this thread from the very beginning and I'm happy I did since this thread now contains lots of valuable input for anyone thinking of buying the new Titan X card.

No hard feelings Max  B)  things just get mixed up so easily. I have great performance and can sent you my p3d.cfg if you want for the PMDG777? No SGSS though. Will try it. Also a little less shadows on my system

Just did a ILS08R CYVR(FSDT,PNW) from CYYZ and right now the weather is OVC down to 4000feet and still above 30fps in the T7. 26-28fps on touchdown no stutter. I use selektive sounds in the T7.

Have you been able to do a TITANX vs your TITAN compare?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Sent me your prepar3d.cfg file and I will sent it back with settings as a starting point ;-)

André

Hi Aron,

I'm using this one: http://store.sony.com/48.5-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR49X850B/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

Here is what it looks like on a desktop (it's also my work monitor) - the one on the right is a 24" to give you idea of size difference:

a617a0d28dbdf421a88596780c7ffad4.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

Could you please tell me what program are you using on the 24" monitor as I cannot tell what it is?

Nick Sciortino

No hard feelings Max B) things just get mixed up so easily. I have great performance and can sent you my p3d.cfg if you want for the PMDG777? No SGSS though. Will try it. Also a little less shadows on my system

Just did a ILS08R CYVR(FSDT,PNW) from CYYZ and right now the weather is OVC down to 4000feet and still above 30fps in the T7. 26-28fps on touchdown no stutter. I use selektive sounds in the T7.

Have you been able to do a TITANX vs your TITAN compare?

Michael Moe

We're good Michael, just felt a bit weird having someone tell you what to ask in your own thread. However at the same time I know what you mean, many threads like this one have a tendency to derail.

Thanks for offering your help but I guess the best thing I can do is trying to change one setting at a time to see the difference. Very time-consuming but I think that's the only way to come up with a perfect and well-balanced result in the end.

One thing I think would be of great help is if there was a comparison somewhere with clear screenshots showing you exactly what will happen visually when you enable/disable various settings and move sliders left/right. That would help a lot when trying to decide what options you would be willing to sacrifice for better performance.

Sent me your prepar3d.cfg file and I will sent it back with settings as a starting point ;-)

Thanks but I prefer to edit my cfg myself knowing exactly what I add/remove/change :wink:

Was more thinking if maybe my screenshots revealed some settings that will take much more performance away vs what they will add in visual appearance.

Richard Åsberg

Yep,you are also right about that we tweak alot. Actually i have now 10 different setups and pretty happy with them.

I am going to upload 2 videos of the B77W in CYVR in about an hour , will post a link to them

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Yep,you are also right about that we tweak alot. Actually i have now 10 different setups and pretty happy with them.

I am going to upload 2 videos of the B77W in CYVR in about an hour , will post a link to them

Michael Moe

Cool, looking forward to it!

Richard Åsberg

Maybe you don't see that in the same way running at higher resolution, I'm at 1920x1080.

Correct, higher resolution will make 2X AA be less of an issue visually.  1920 x 1080 ... and if the monitor is larger will tend to emphasize the issue.  I ran for years on a 42" 1080p monitor (TV actually) and I couldn't get FSX to look good without using SGSS, when I moved to 2560 x 1600 my need for AA was reduced ... and now on 3840 x 2160 2X MSAA is visually ok (even thought I still run at 8X MSAA in most cases).

But I'm curious at 2X MSAA when flying into dense clouds which should be a white out ... what is there to see that requires good AA?  I realize it means going to the options menu to set AA ... dynamic AA would be nice and "i think" that's what Fiber Accelerator does for P3D.  I haven't used Fiber Accelerator so I don't know sure, but I have read their web site pages and it does appear to can turn FA on/off on the fly ... so when getting into dense cloud layers you could enable it.

Fiber Acceleration is another cheaper option than buying new 4K monitor ... however I would still recommend the 4K monitor option :)

Cheers, Rob.

Could you please tell me what program are you using on the 24" monitor as I cannot tell what it is?

FSCommander 9.6 ... supports Navigraph and NavDataPro so you will have all the latest navaids, Sids, Stars, transitions etc. etc.  I like FSCommander because it's very open and easy to use.  Also kinda nice to see it track my flights over Google earth and it will import weather data and display it also.

http://www.fscommander.com/

I use it in a network setup so it requires Pete's WideFS (FSUIPC).

Cheers, Rob.

One thing I think would be of great help is if there was a comparison somewhere with clear screenshots showing you exactly what will happen visually when you enable/disable various settings and move sliders left/right. That would help a lot when trying to decide what options you would be willing to sacrifice for better performance.

That's a good idea, but the problem is that variances in GPU.  Some GPUs will have no issues running 80,000m Terrain Shadows while other's will have a very hard time ... good example is my Titan Black had a difficult time with Terrain Shadows (and Clouds Shadows), but my Titan X seems almost completely unaffected by 80,000m Terrain Shadows.

With P3D newer GPUs don't necessarily increase the FPS performance that much, but what they can do is be less affected by increased graphics options/settings.  I think this is an important point ... I get a lot of questions about "how much higher is my FPS with the Titan X" and the answer is not that much (20% over a Titan Black) ... but what the Titan X can do is NOT degrade FPS as I add additional graphics options.

Cheers, Rob.

Correct, higher resolution will make 2X AA be less of an issue visually.  1920 x 1080 ... and if the monitor is larger will tend to emphasize the issue.  I ran for years on a 42" 1080p monitor (TV actually) and I couldn't get FSX to look good without using SGSS, when I moved to 2560 x 1600 my need for AA was reduced ... and now on 3840 x 2160 2X MSAA is visually ok (even thought I still run at 8X MSAA in most cases).

But I'm curious at 2X MSAA when flying into dense clouds which should be a white out ... what is there to see that requires good AA?  I realize it means going to the options menu to set AA ... dynamic AA would be nice and "i think" that's what Fiber Accelerator does for P3D.  I haven't used Fiber Accelerator so I don't know sure, but I have read their web site pages and it does appear to can turn FA on/off on the fly ... so when getting into dense cloud layers you could enable it.

Fiber Acceleration is another cheaper option than buying new 4K monitor ... however I would still recommend the 4K monitor option :)

Cheers, Rob.

Actually just got home with a 48 inch 4K screen from Samsung so looking forward to see what this will bring to my experience :smile: Got it from a store where I'm able to return it should I not be happy with the result so this will be more of a test at this point. What I'm thinking when running on a 4K screen is that even though you won't have to use SGSS to get a good visual result the graphics card on the other hand now will have to fill a 4K screen with pixels rather than 1920x1080 pixels which obviously will put a much higher demand on the gfx card so I wonder what will put most stress on the card and how that will affect the performance. But I won't have to wait long to find out myself, I got the new 4K screen next to me so will plug it in now right away.

You're right when flying into a white mass of dense clouds the AA isn't of any importance at all looking at the clouds. Looking around in the v/c on the other hand is and that's one place where I see lots of bad IQ when I don't use SGSS and same thing when looking at the aircraft in spot view and it will get worse as I zoom out. When flying I spend most of the time in the v/c but I do have a look from the outside as well every now and then during cruise just to enjoy my beautiful LN-RRH :wink: As for changing the settings during mid-flight that might be OK when flying offline but since I do all my flying online it's not very popular if you all of a sudden pause your position in the air to start fiddle with settings. Maybe Fiber Accelerator could be an answer to that though, will check it out.

That's a good idea, but the problem is that variances in GPU.  Some GPUs will have no issues running 80,000m Terrain Shadows while other's will have a very hard time ... good example is my Titan Black had a difficult time with Terrain Shadows (and Clouds Shadows), but my Titan X seems almost completely unaffected by 80,000m Terrain Shadows.

With P3D newer GPUs don't necessarily increase the FPS performance that much, but what they can do is be less affected by increased graphics options/settings.  I think this is an important point ... I get a lot of questions about "how much higher is my FPS with the Titan X" and the answer is not that much (20% over a Titan Black) ... but what the Titan X can do is NOT degrade FPS as I add additional graphics options.

As for the idea of having screenshots showing how different settings will affect the visual experience in P3D I see what you mean but I was more thinking of letting the different sceenshots show you what things could look like without necessarily meaning you will be able to use all these settings yourself depending on your hardware. Just to get an idea of what settings are most important to you from a visual POV. Some for instance may be very interested in having the best possible looking water but couldn't care less about cloud shadows while others would see it the other way around.

Makes very much sense what you say about the difference in FPS between the Titan X and older GFX cards and personally I'm more than happy if I get around 30 FPS and if a Titan X would allow me to get that with lots of stuff enabled that I couldn't have with another card a Titan X might very well be worth the money to me.

Hmm...realizing this might be an expensive spring if I end up with both a 4K screen and a Titan X :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Actually just got home with a 48 inch 4K screen from Samsung so looking forward to see what this will bring

Congrats, so much for not going the hardware way!  :)

Yes 4K will put more stress on the video card but it will also give you more options than having to use SGSS AA ... not to mention the much improved visual experience.

Cloud textures used will also impact ... obviously a 4096 cloud texture will have much more of an impact than 512 cloud texture.  I haven't noticed any performance difference between DXT5 or 32bit textures but there is a slight visual difference.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi WebMaximus,

How did the 4k monitor work out?

Does it take a toll on the CPU?

Are you happy with it visually, and are you loosing PFS going from 1080P to 4k?

Is it time to upgrade from Titan to Titan X?

Sincerely,

Aron

Is it time to upgrade from Titan to Titan X?

Just finish some glider flying in Orbx NCA ... will post video tomorrow ... I think it will push Richard over the edge and into a Titan X now that he has a 4K monitor.

Cheers, Rob.