Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

I guess that multi monitor super high resolution displays require significantly greater amounts of VRAM and GPU power?

I run Prepar3d in NVidia Surround at 5910 x 1080 plus a fourth screen for pop-up panels on a GTX780 with 3 Gb VRAM. I have absolutely no problems indicating that the VRAM is insufficient. From my point of view the amount of VRAM required is completely overrated in a lot of discussions. Certainly nobody needs 12 Gb of it.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Yes, fluidity is amazing at 60fps and above, especially with internal V-sync enabled, but unless you like flying vanilla P3D in clear skies or over the Pacific ocean, its never gonna happen, unfortunately.

I'm stable at 60fps. I run mid-complexity aircraft (milviz, a2a) and normally fly in 2d view using a basic hardware panel (based around 2 iPads, so nomframerate hit to display instruments).

I try to only fly over 25cm/pixel photoscenery but do that with lots of autogen trees and mid-detail airports (autogen sliders all full right).

This is with the new 5820K nicely overclocked on water.

Oh - and always with ASN with some sweet REX clouds.

So...not exactly mid-pacific ocean stuff :)

Bottom line - the tech is here now to run at 60fps with the right sacrifices. I enjoy the fluidity enough to organise my flying around the frame rate - I find it hard to fly at 20/30 fos now.

Better coding (dx12), next gen CPUs and GPUs...looking forward to all this!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I'm stable at 60fps.

If fps are 60+ then P3D is perfectly smooth. But there is no way to achieve 60 fps with today's CPUs in complex tubeliners like the PMDG planes.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I am so glad that I am not one of the "60fps" brigade with respect to flight simulators (or any other PC games for that matter). If you can't accept framerates any lower than this, then you are seriously restricting the amount of detail that you will be able to render in your virtual worlds. As far as I am concerned, 20fps is perfectly acceptable in a civilian flight simulator.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I am so glad that I am not one of the "60fps" brigade with respect to flight simulators (or any other PC games for that matter). If you can't accept framerates any lower than this, then you are seriously restricting the amount of detail that you will be able to render in your virtual worlds. As far as I am concerned, 20fps is perfectly acceptable in a civilian flight simulator.

I would say Chris is reasonably correct for the current hardware. I think it is a mistake to believe the sim is smooth by having big fps. What's actually happening with big fps is the time between frames is getting very small, reducing the need for accurate time between frames. But high fps also means less time for all the other concurrency, especially if we have addons demanding a per frame event response. And that introduces notchiness. Trouble with low fps is the need for very similar time between frames, demanding a look ahead buffer of a few frames, and fps needs matching carefully with the monitor vsync to avoid micro-stutter. Hence with a 60Hz monitor we get 15, 20, and 30 mentioned a lot.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hmm, do you use trackIR? I would rather 80P than subject myself to that torture.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Hmm, do you use trackIR? I would rather 80P than subject myself to that torture.

Was just about to comment on this too. I think when using TIR you really want 30 FPS to get a smooth panning experience.

Richard Åsberg

I played around with TIR a bit recently and actually found even 15fps not too bad. However I thought liquidity of the view needed at least 19fps on my 60Hz monitor, 30fps would be ideal. Problems came when the fps went below the fixed value, the view starts panning in lurches. I find 20 quite comfortable for high Image Quality settings.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Agree, 30 fps is a good number for TIR ... unfortunately my "silver" hair (cough cough) and open golfer hat tends to mess with the tracking sensors ... the joys of old age.

Cheers, Rob.

I7 5960X 3GHZ Turbo to 4GHZ.

Is this CPU  sufficient for ,  SLI enabled  two side by side  TITAN Z ?

Above combination ,never made  60 fps with fully loaded weather  (IFR/Thunder storm/Lightning)  PMDG 777, REX Essentials, ASN Weather engine, Orbx FTX and Vector . If I am lucky 10-12 FPS in heavy clouds

:Cry:

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

If I am lucky 10-12 FPS in heavy clouds

Sounds like you must be running SGSS AA via NI?

I think you must have not understood my other post ... a single Titan Z is two GPUs in one card, each GPU has a lower clock than the Titan Black (required due to power and cooling issues with 2 GPUs on a single card).  P3D can currently only use 1 GPU (you can set SLI, but P3D isn't utilizing SLI).  So one Titan Z is already SLI (2 GPUs).  Two Titan Z's are 4 way SLI (4 GPUs).

What you have with 2 Titan Zs is actually worse (performance wise) than if you had just one Titan Black ... until we get (if we get) an SLI profile from nVidia, the 3 out of your 4 GPUs will not be utilized.

You can "try" the AFR-Friendly approach by renaming the EXE but that will have lots of issues with add-ons.  During my testing I saw at best 7% increase when I tested with my two Titan Blacks using AFR-Friendly.

IMHO, I'd sell your two Titan Z and go buy one Titan X and wait and see ... even more powerful single GPU cards will be coming out later this year from AMD and nVidia.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

"IMHO, I'd sell your two Titan Z and go buy one Titan X and wait and see ... even more powerful single GPU cards will be coming out later this year from AMD and nVidia."

Please let me now. :smile:

Thanks

Ahmet

I checked  NI:

Antialiasing-Transparency Supersampling set for: 4X Spare Grid Supersampling

Antialiasing-Settings for: 4x {4x Multisampling}

I don't know where did I get these numbers, Will I change them? or  Did you post your NI?

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Rob,

I am looking into purchasing a Titan X, and a 4K TV for my simulator. Could you please tell me which Sony monitor you are using?

Thanks you

Aron