Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

As for SLI support strange why Nvidia isn't doing anything about it so far. I wonder if LM contacted them about this? With a product like P3D that is continuously developed and improved with an increasing user base I think it would be in interest for Nvidia. But maybe the user base is still far too small compared to other game titles and that's why they don't find it worth the effort...

I have never understood that..... LM has a multi-billion dollar client base, with an annual budget greater than the GNP of many countries, and yet nVidia seems not to take notice..... confusing.  We tend to keep forgetting LM's clients are NOT flight-simulator enthusiasts.... but rather the air forces of the world.  Perhaps commercial/military clients have access to an in-house option, not available to the masses.....

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I wonder if LM contacted them about this?

Yes they have and more than just once as I understand it.  nVidia's "Shield" project (5 years) thinned out the resource available for driver profiles ... if you take a look at the history of driver profiles (go back a few years) there used to be a long list of games getting profile support for each driver release.  Today that list is very short, in some cases just one single title.  So it's very apparent that nVidia have shifted resources to other areas of the company.  It probably revolves around the same "doom and gloom" predictions of "PC's death" by many "analysts" (I use the term loosely) ... hence nVidia's play into other markets and reallocation of resources to support that.

I was able to max out the Titan X at 98-100% GPU utilization when I used SGSS AA and unfortunately heavy cloud layers still produce poor performance with SGSS AA (FPS in the 20's with my settings).

Cheers, Rob.

Yes they have and more than just once as I understand it. nVidia's "Shield" project (5 years) thinned out the resource available for driver profiles ... if you take a look at the history of driver profiles (go back a few years) there used to be a long list of games getting profile support for each driver release. Today that list is very short, in some cases just one single title. So it's very apparent that nVidia have shifted resources to other areas of the company. It probably revolves around the same "doom and gloom" predictions of "PC's death" by many "analysts" (I use the term loosely) ... hence nVidia's play into other markets and reallocation of resources to support that.

I was able to max out the Titan X at 98-100% GPU utilization when I used SGSS AA and unfortunately heavy cloud layers still produce poor performance with SGSS AA (FPS in the 20's with my settings).

Cheers, Rob.

Interesting. However when it comes to Nvidia fearing the PC/game/simulator genre might be going downhill that's a pity because I read somewhere not long ago that has been proven not being the case despite the fact many people thought that would happen.

Well, I guess time will tell where we're all headed.

Sorry to hear you still have poor performance with your new card but I guess running at the resolution you do that is nearly impossible to avoid until the core of P3D is rebuilt from scratch if that ever will happen.

Richard Åsberg

This is my opinion : Until P3D  driver connection profile created by Nvidia and  Heavy Clouds  impact  reduces by Developers   TITAN Z or X  with SLI or not, can not do much performance for  PMDG and  other heavy aircrafts.

:(

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Hi Rob, thanks for sharing your results.

What would you say made a bigger difference in P3D? The upgrade of yor CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. Or the TITAN X?

Thanks,

Aron

Hi Rob, thanks for sharing your results.

What would you say made a bigger difference in P3D? The upgrade of yor CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. Or the TITAN X?

Thanks,

Aron

The question was for Rob so forgive me for jumping in but I would say it's a combination of the CPU and GPU.

Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus, Let me put the question another way:  What would Rob have chosen if he could have only upgraded his CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. or the TITAN X.

because I'm sure they all made a difference combined.

Sincerly,

Aron

Sorry to hear you still have poor performance with your new card but I guess running at the resolution you do that is nearly impossible to avoid until the core of P3D is rebuilt from scratch if that ever will happen.

Not sure I understand you?  Apples to Apples in P3D, the Titan X is about 20% faster than the Titan Black with less variance in time between frames.  SGSS AA isn't technically a supported AA (not even by nVidia) and can only be accessed via NI tool (which is not nVidia's tool).  No doubt 8X SGSS AA is visually the best AA, but I find MSAA 8X + FXAA a very close 2nd and that performs well with dense clouds.

Keep in mind running SGSS AA on any application/game that includes volumetric fog and/or particle system in direct proximity to the controlled object will have the same performance impact, this isn't specific to P3D.  FSX doesn't have volumetric fog and it's cloud system can be set to not process any AA.  Per Kevin at LM: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/cpu-performance-testing/#post-103103

Volumetric fog is another GPU feature you will want to turn off, if you’re attempting removing as much GPU work as possible. As it is computed per pixel for the fog layers, up to three layers, so it does increase shader instruction counts a fair amount.

The "magic" combo with the Titan X (at 4K res) and P3D v2.5 seems to be 60/30  (monitor refresh at 60Hz and P3D locked at 30 fps with Vsync disabled) which is different than how I had my Titan Black working.  Titan Black seems to work best at 30/30 with P3D set to Unlimited with VSync and tripple buffer enabled.  To bad ShadowPlay recording doesn't like the 60/30 combo.

Cheers, Rob.

WebMaximus, Let me put the question another way:  What would Rob have chosen if he could have only upgraded his CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. or the TITAN X.

because I'm sure they all made a difference combined.

Sincerly,

Aron

Well, that all depends on the current parts. If you don't already have a very fast and overclocked CPU I think that is what still will make the biggest overall difference looking at performance but in order to utilize a very fast CPU you'll also need a fast GFX card. That's why I said a combination of a fast CPU and GPU is what you want to have a good result.

However if you already do have a fast CPU a new faster GPU would likely be your choice. Then if you don't only look at pure performance but also the ability to use high AA settings, high resolution and so on a fast GPU with plenty of memory will be of more interest.

I'm sure Rob will be able to answer your question in a better way.

Not sure I understand you?  Apples to Apples in P3D, the Titan X is about 20% faster than the Titan Black with less variance in time between frames.  SGSS AA isn't technically a supported AA (not even by nVidia) and can only be accessed via NI tool (which is not nVidia's tool).  No doubt 8X SGSS AA is visually the best AA, but I find MSAA 8X + FXAA a very close 2nd and that performs well with dense clouds.

Keep in mind running SGSS AA on any application/game that includes volumetric fog and/or particle system in direct proximity to the controlled object will have the same performance impact, this isn't specific to P3D.  FSX doesn't have volumetric fog and it's cloud system can be set to not process any AA.  Per Kevin at LM: http://www.prepar3d....ng/#post-103103

OK, I got it. I was referring to what you said below but great then you're overall happy with your new card :smile:

"unfortunately heavy cloud layers still produce poor performance with SGSS AA (FPS in the 20's with my settings)."

Richard Åsberg

I have a 3930K running at 4.6ghz with 16gigs of 2133ghz ram, and a first generation TITTAN. My monitor is at 1080p

I was wondering what would be my best upgrade without going 4K at this time.

So if I was to upgrade today where would I see the greatest improvement?

All on you Rob, I have my eyes on a Titan X, if your Titan Blacks don't come through for me! :P

Seriously though, can't wait for a performance report on this card. My 3770K + 780 combination has the early adopter in me yearning for an upgrade. :wub:

I have the same setup Aamir. Do you also get stuttering when on the ground in a turn when at a big airport? What does it take to get Smooth graphics in FSX.?

I have a 3930K running at 4.6ghz with 16gigs of 2133ghz ram, and a first generation TITTAN. My monitor is at 1080p

I was wondering what would be my best upgrade without going 4K at this time.

So if I was to upgrade today where would I see the greatest improvement?

To me that seems to be a fast CPU so in that case I guess a new GFX card such as the Titan X would be the best option for you to increase the performance. That is pretty much the same situation I'm in myself with a 4770K @ 4.5 GHz and a first gen Titan.

Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus, there is no end to this hoby. we strive for the highest FPS as well as good quality picture. If I had unlimited funds, I would ops for the hole package. I thing at this time the best upgrade for you, and I would be the TITTEN X, and when the next upgrade CPU to the Haswell E is released, it will be time to go with a new CPU, DDR4 Ram and Motherboard.

WebMaximus, there is no end to this hoby. we strive for the highest FPS as well as good quality picture. If I had unlimited funds, I would ops for the hole package. I thing at this time the best upgrade for you, and I would be the TITTEN X, and when the next upgrade CPU to the Haswell E is released, it will be time to go with a new CPU, DDR4 Ram and Motherboard.

I agree, for the time being a Titan X is probably the only thing that could improve things when you already have a fast CPU.

However I think what really need to happen to get more than just a few extra FPS with every new CPU/GPU generation is a new FS core.

Richard Åsberg