Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

The saying is never to say never but I highly doubt we will ever get HW fast enough to let you stay at 60 FPS in all situations when flying one of the most advanced aircraft using top-notch detailed airport sceneries. Just as you say I too think that will not happen without a new core/engine under the hood.

...but...who knows...maybe I'll have to eat my hat further down the road for saying this. Remember what Mr. Gates said...640 kB should be enough for everyone... :wink:

Richard Åsberg

I don't really see the point in getting a GPU with a 12 GB framebuffer

---------------------------------

It's been pointed out, that the XPlane franchise would, and can use the 12 GB buffer..especially if you have all the great custom mesh that is available for the platform....that was one of my initial interests in the card.

Theres a lot of talk about bragging rights etc. in truth - a Titan X for me will make a difference on my 32" benq from my current Titan - whats missing here is Rob has updated to 4k monitor which null and voids the idea that His new Titan X is going to be a miracle - it would have if He wasn't pushing a billion pixels on his new 4k monitor - so its a wash - if He was using His old monitors - He would have seen a noticeable improvement - its all relative in His situation - for Me it will be noticeable and dont think it wont be - your fooling yourself - carry on

Rich Sennett

It's been pointed out, that the XPlane franchise would, and can use the 12 GB buffer..especially if you have all the great custom mesh that is available for the platform....that was one of my initial interests in the card.

I think you mean textures, not mesh?  Mesh involves geometry primitives, textures is what you apply to that geometry.  Texture sets 2048, 4096, 8192 aren't always as meaningful as they seem ... the real meaningful visuals to any texture is it's pixels per meter or whatever base metric (pixels per inch, per cm, per nm) you want to apply.  

For example, if I use a single 4096 texture on a 777 which is 242 feet in length, that's about 17 pixels per foot.  If I use a single 4096 textures on a C-172 which is 27 feet in length, that's about 151 pixels per foot.  The C-172 is going to look considerably better than the 777 close up.  However the C-172 may actually look worse than the 777 zoomed out ... Carenado's B1900 suffers this problem and requires some high AA levels to resolve or stay zoomed in.  It's a careful balance of getting the pixel per foot (or inch) ratios correct so that at various zoom levels everything still looks good ... something the 3D artists and texture designers have to work hard at and Kudos to them for all that work they put into 3D modelling (a lot of folks don't realize just how much work has to go into it).

But you've peaked my interest, I'm not aware of any XP10 add-ons that uses considerable quantities of 8192 textures that could use up 12GB VRAM ... do you have a link to such 3rd party?  I may have to put it to the test. 

Cheers, Rob.

I am running a Nvidia Titan Z 12 gb that I bought about 6 months ago for about $4,000 with 32 gb of computer ram. I'm not comptuer-savy. I get just a little better performance than a 980 gtx i used to have. I've just never noticed a great performance-jump. P3d 2.5 runs great with it with good frame rates. FSX most of the time runs ok but when I change views from windowed with alt-ent, I lose most of the video.Then I usually reboot the game and leave the settings alone and it runs ok. 

I think you mean textures, not mesh?  

------------------------

Yes...that would be textures over more detailed mesh and such. There have been warnings, that as XPX in 64 bit grows more sophisticated and onwards to v11, v12 series, you will most profit by GOBS of system RAM, and as much VRAM as you can get.  That was my main interest in the Titan X, when I learned it was going to have very ample VRAM.

But you've peaked my interest, I'm not aware of any XP10 add-ons that uses considerable quantities of 8192 textures that could use up 12GB VRAM ... do you have a link to such 3rd party?  I may have to put it to the test. 

Ah no, actually Rob...but the 'general' discussion, is that you will want/need ample VRAM to drive all the detailed scenery that is now here, as well as coming for Xplane...

Ah no, actually Rob...but the 'general' discussion, is that you will want/need ample VRAM to drive all the detailed scenery that is now here, as well as coming for Xplane...

LOL, Mitch - same could be said for P3D!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

In 10.40 Laminar is increasing the view distance in X Plane 10.  Will be interesting to see how the Titan X performs.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

In 10.40 Laminar is increasing the view distance in X Plane 10.  Will be interesting to see how the Titan X performs.

Wish this was true for P3D also - one can dream

Rich Sennett

Rob,

Were you running two 980's before you purchased the titan X? I have a 5920 and I am thinking about purchasing a second 980 for this sim and Star Citizen. What kind if SLI issues were you seeing with the 980s? Are you seeing a need for more than 4 gigs of VRAM at the moment?

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I find smoothness is much better at 60fps the any other setting (unlimited, 30, 40 etc). So much so that I find myself changing settings to fly at this frame rate rather than accept sub-perfect fluidity with better visuals.

Bottom line - need a cpu and graphics combo that can hit 60fps with complex aircraft and high-detail airports. Even with the Titan I don't think I'd be there yet - need better code, dx12 and a faster cpu.

Yes, fluidity is amazing at 60fps and above, especially with internal V-sync enabled, but unless you like flying vanilla P3D in clear skies or over the Pacific ocean, its never gonna happen, unfortunately.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Were you running two 980's before you purchased the titan X?

No, I was running 2 Titan Blacks but without a P3D SLI profile from nVidia only one Titan Black was being used.

Are you seeing a need for more than 4 gigs of VRAM at the moment?

If you go with SGSS AA then I would recommend getting a card that has more than 4GB.  I have peaked at around 4.6-4.8GB VRAM when using SGSS AA (which I rarely do, only for screenshots and some rare video instances but normally don't run SGSS AA).

Cheers, Rob.

LOL, Mitch - same could be said for P3D!

Vic

Yes...when you type it like that...I guess it could.  XPX is being 'expanded' to the horizon, and no doubt, there will be mega textures coming.  At 2GB's on my 680...my system is a little VRAM anemic, so the interest in the Titan X for me, is as strong for built-in 12 GB's, as much as the graphic chip(s) themselves. 

I run P3D with 2x SGSS and 2x DSR @ 1810x1448 with a 2GB GTX 770 card, and it seems to be working just fine (even in dense scenery areas). I guess that multi monitor super high resolution displays require significantly greater amounts of VRAM and GPU power?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png