Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

No, MotionFlow is OFF ... I believe that is primarily for Movie rapid panning and not some much RGB or YCrCb output from PC.

No, however the Sony is capable of buffering frames.

Sony can work better with a YCbCr444 signal (more adjustments permitted) than an RGB Full (0-255) signal, with that said, both are still VERY good quality and you dial out the "too dark" that many seem to see with HDR without making the image too bright.  This is why I no longer make any HDR tweaks and have left it "as is".  With HDR, monitor quality and calibration become more significant.

I haven't seen what the new monitors from Sony can do ... I know 4K will continue to evolve and get cheaper and when 8K comes out later this year it should make 4K very cheap.  But I can't tell you if newer Sony is better for PC output ... it's really good right now.  Like I've suggested  before, buy from a retail outlet so you can return if not satisfied. 

Cheers, Rob.

Ron, thanks for your input,

But at this point I am so confused weather I should wait for the 980ti and build a knew machine while at the same time get the 4k monitor then.

What by bigest concern would be is to by a Titan X with a 4k monitor and find out that my 3930k at 4.6ghz with 16gigs of 2133 ram just doesn't cut it, and what makes it look so good in your videos is the combination of your new CPU DDR4 ram with the Titan X.

If I new for certan that I wouldn't lose any performance going to a 4K monitor, and the Titan X all the while staying with my config. I would take the plung

Decisions, decisions....

Thanks again to Ron, and to all who have put input into the inevitable future...

Sincerely,

Aron

Hmm...not sure I want to see your NGX video

As I suspected ... installed FT Copenhagen, turned most options off, set textures to 1024, reduce graphics setting to my "Complex Aircraft" set, loaded NGX ... and OOM, exactly the same point (RWY 04R departure ... about 0.5 nm after takeoff over the water) every time like clockwork.  I do have the Copenhagen 1.1 update installed.  Definitely some sort of issue going on with that area/airport as I went from 3.3GB at takeoff roll to OOM in <1 second.

Like I said before LM don't support ASM methods which I know FT use at Copenhagen.  If there is some sort of Data issue in that area that might also explain it.

But if you have some other location I'd be happy to test the NGX there for you.  I did record my short depart if you still want me to post it ... using ASN for weather.

Cheers, Rob.

FWIW, I had an issue sometime ago at FT Copenhagen leaking memory.

IIRC it was resolved by removing all AESLite bgl files.

Strange Rob why you suffer from that bad kind of OOM issues at FT's EKCH. In my case the VAS footprint is huge but I'm able to fly in and out of the airport in the NGX using the settings I posted before in this thread.

Thanks for sharing Gerrit, I already had all AESLite options unticked in FT's Configurator but yet when I searched for AESLite files in my P3D installation I found 3 AESLite that still was not disabled so I fixed that now and will be interesting to see how this will affect the VAS footprint.

Like I said before LM don't support ASM methods which I know FT use at Copenhagen.  If there is some sort of Data issue in that area that might also explain it.

What are these ASM methods and why are FT using them for a scenery announced as P3D-compatible if LM in fact doesn't support it?

Richard Åsberg

I already had all AESLite options unticked in FT's Configurator but yet when I searched for AESLite files in my P3D installation I found 3 AESLite that still was not disabled so I fixed that now and will be interesting to see how this will affect the VAS footprint.

I had AESLite unchecked also ... I'll try to locate those other AESLite BGLs and turn them off and see if that solves the FT Copenhagen issue.

What are these ASM methods and why are FT using them for a scenery announced as P3D-compatible if LM in fact doesn't support it?

Many 3rd party content providers use these methods to work around limitations of the SDK -- uneven runways and terrain interaction as some examples.  You can read more about the tweaking here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Introduction_to_ASM_tweaking

Not being supported by LM doesn't mean the methods will not work (how's that for a triple negative) ... the 3rd party dev will assume the responsibility (one hopes).  But I can assure you ASM isn't the only tweaking 3rd party content providers do above and beyond the SDK.  For a static FSX (never changing) it's a pretty "safe" process, but for a changing platform it posses new challenges for those going outside the SDK.

The methods aren't really "supported" my Microsoft either (FSX).  No malice involved, just ways 3rd party have worked around limitations to provide end users with a better experience.

Cheers, Rob.

Haven't had the chance to try out Copenhagen with all AESLite BGLs disabled yet but hopefully it will do some good.

Thanks for the explanation.

Richard Åsberg

Gonna get delivered my Titan x this week. Sooooooo looking forward. Lets see how it compares to the 980

Lets see how it compares to the 980

That will be an interesting compare ... hope you do share with us.  So far I've only been able to compare the Titan X against Titan Black, Titan GTX, and 970.

Cheers, Rob.

Wait a bit and you can compare it to the GTX 980 Ti (or GTX 990 as some are calling it). It is identical to the Titan X, but with only 6 GB which should be more than enough VRAM for anybody without a 4K TV:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/27/nvidia-reportedly-working-on-gm200-based-geforce-gtx-980-ti

So you'll need more than 6 GB to run UHD?

Richard Åsberg

As I suspected ... installed FT Copenhagen, turned most options off, set textures to 1024, reduce graphics setting to my "Complex Aircraft" set, loaded NGX ... and OOM, exactly the same point (RWY 04R departure ... about 0.5 nm after takeoff over the water) every time like clockwork.  I do have the Copenhagen 1.1 update installed.  Definitely some sort of issue going on with that area/airport as I went from 3.3GB at takeoff roll to OOM in <1 second.

But if you have some other location I'd be happy to test the NGX there for you.  I did record my short depart if you still want me to post it ... using ASN for weather.

Cheers, Rob.

Well i have after landing 737 NGX there 2.2 gb vas used at Copenhagen ;-)

André

Well i have after landing 737 NGX there 2.2 gb vas used at Copenhagen

With a VC and full aircraft model of the NGX?  I can't even accomplish that at Flagstaff with no add-ons and every graphics setting turn off and/or to the far left.  Are you running 320 x 200 - 256 textures ;)

Cheers, Rob.

With a VC and full aircraft model of the NGX?  I can't even accomplish that at Flagstaff with no add-ons and every graphics setting turn off and/or to the far left.  Are you running 320 x 200 - 256 textures ;)

Cheers, Rob.

locked FPS at 35 :-) and I have my aircraft pmdg  textures optimized and the texture folder is 41 mb...

Vas usage between 2.2 and 2.6 gb after landing....

Untitled-1_zpst0us1pxs.jpg

Untitled-2_zpstdpkazo0.jpg

André

Maybe my experience is helpful for some who don't have the latest technology in their computers. I am running 4K 60Hz on a 27" Acer monitor, MSAA set to 2.0, 4X Filtering, FXAA off, CPU is 4790K at 4.4 GHz, GPU is Gigabyte 970 Gaming. Regarding heavies I only have the CS 777 but it runs surprisingly smooth on this rig, FPS between 30-35 outside and 20-25 in VC, occasionally dropping below 20 but still usable. No OOM so far with stable VAS in one test for more than three hours, albeit not over extremely populated areas. After a reinstall of both OS and Prepar3D I skipped FTX and Global for the moment and this did not harm compared to the previous installation. I think 4K is worth getting it also without a Titan X. The EVGA watercooled version is very tempting though.

Hans

Hans

Vas usage between 2.2 and 2.6 gb after landing....

Oh that's "Private Bytes" ... you want to use "Virtual Size" -- I made that mistake once, just multi-tasking too fast between compiles and data conversions (work work).  But Virtual Size is your actual usage (at least in terms of 4GB limit).

Also, your settings show Unlimited not locked?

Cheers, Rob.