Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

Oh that's "Private Bytes" ... you want to use "Virtual Size" -- I made that mistake once, just multi-tasking too fast between compiles and data conversions (work work).  But Virtual Size is your actual usage (at least in terms of 4GB limit).

Also, your settings show Unlimited not locked?

Cheers, Rob.

You are correct Rob, but that's why I added 2.2 and 2.6 VAS used above the pictures (via FSUIPC to use 1.4 in the screenshot above).

I can make a new screenshot with VAS left to use in the title bar...

I'm nowhere near 2.8+ GB VAS used only the triple 7 is around 2.8 (that's what I have at Heathrow...)

I have locked external at 35 FPS... (currently testing with VSYNC and buffering)

Cheers,

André

Here's an update regarding something I found with my current Titan card. After deciding to stay with this card for now at least I thought I should look into some of the details regarding my Titan and how it performed and what I discovered was that my card was reaching 80 C quite fast after launching P3D but at the same time the GFX fan speed was only about 55-60%.

I was a bit puzzled why the fan wouldn't spin faster at that rather high temp so I decided to download an Asus utility called GPU Tweak similar to MSI AfterBurn etc. Using this tool I was able to define the fan speed curve myself making sure the fan would work harder when needed.

After setting up my own fan speed curve my Titan now runs at 70C max and at the same time overclocks itself to 1006 MHz (default boost clock for my card is 876 MHz) and might be me just dreaming but I do think this has given me a smoother overall experience in P3D and I no longer see some of those graphical spikes and artifacts I had sometimes in the past.

Thought I would just share this info with you guys so do check your GFX card temp and make sure it doesn't run too hot. Of course having the fan spin faster will not only result in lower temps but also more noise but normally this noise from the fan will not be heard as soon as P3D is running with the sound from the aircraft engines etc so I don't find it a real problem and as soon as you exit from P3D and the load on the GFX card decreases so does the fan speed of course and the noise is gone :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Here's an update regarding something I found with my current Titan card. After deciding to stay with this card for now at least I thought I should look into some of the details regarding my Titan and how it performed and what I discovered was that my card was reaching 80 C quite fast after launching P3D but at the same time the GFX fan speed was only about 55-60%.

I was a bit puzzled why the fan wouldn't spin faster at that rather high temp so I decided to download an Asus utility called GPU Tweak similar to MSI AfterBurn etc. Using this tool I was able to define the fan speed curve myself making sure the fan would work harder when needed.

After setting up my own fan speed curve my Titan now runs at 70C max and at the same time overclocks itself to 1006 MHz (default boost clock for my card is 876 MHz) and might be me just dreaming but I do think this has given me a smoother overall experience in P3D and I no longer see some of those graphical spikes and artifacts I had sometimes in the past.

Thought I would just share this info with you guys so do check your GFX card temp and make sure it doesn't run too hot. Of course having the fan spin faster will not only result in lower temps but also more noise but normally this noise from the fan will not be heard as soon as P3D is running with the sound from the aircraft engines etc so I don't find it a real problem and as soon as you exit from P3D and the load on the GFX card decreases so does the fan speed of course and the noise is gone :smile:

Aren't Titans supposed to run normally between 80-90 degrees?

Aren't Titans supposed to run normally between 80-90 degrees?

Well, the target temp in Asus GPU Tweak indeed is set to 80 C by default which would confirm what you're saying but I also heard you don't really want to have your graphics card running at that kind of temp for any longer sessions like a 4-5 hours flight for example.

Anyway in my case I'm very happy having my card running faster and at a lower temp than it ever did before and today I've been doing three flights and I really do find the overall smoothness looking at stutters/microstutters clearly improved.

Regardless what the spec says my experience has always been that heat and electronics don't mix very well in most cases.

Richard Åsberg

Regardless what the spec says my experience has always been that heat and electronics don't mix very well in most cases.

CPU and GPU have thermal protection so they will throttle back when too hot ... one can disable the thermal protection but I would NOT recommend it.  High OC can trigger the thermal protection without one knowing ... my hunch is this has caught out many that OC without realizing they have thermal protection enabled.

So you going back to the store to get your 4K monitor? ;)

Cheers, Rob.

I guess you're right Rob lots of people may actually not get the full potential out of their hardware simply because the hardware is running hot enough to trigger the built-in throttle feature you mention.

Regarding the 4K screen I think I'll wait for the 8K screens to hit the streets first and then I'll get a 4K screen coupled with a 980Ti :wink:

Richard Åsberg

8K screens to hit the streets first and then I'll get a 4K screen coupled with a 980Ti

Sound like a good plan.

Cheers, Rob.

Wow you were right it made a big difference for me to. Most of the stutter that I was experiencing in the past is gone. Another thing that you might want to try, is to run your monitor at higher refresh rate. I got my 42inch TV to run at 70hz.

The way to do that, is to make a custom resolution with a custom refresh rate, and test the higher hertz one step at a time until your monitor starts showing problems, and steeping back. Some monitors can go higher than 60hz. Mine goes up to 72hz, but I still only run it at 70hz. It seems to make thing A little smother as well..

Cheers,

Aron

Great to hear Aron this made a difference to the better for you as well and I do think as Rob and I discussed above that lots of people out there might suffer from their hardware getting too hot without knowing about it and with the result that they will not get the performance they could if only the temp was better/lower both looking at the CPU and the GPU but could of course also relate to RAM and other parts of the hardware. Too hot temps can cause all kinds of strange issues as we all know.

Great tip about increasing the refresh rate, I'll check if that is something I can do on my TV as well but fact is at this moment I'm actually quite happy with both the IQ and the performance. The only one thing I wish for right now is better AA after being spoiled using SGSS but had to stop using that since P3D clearly can't handle it in the same way FSX in DX10 mode could.

Richard Åsberg

FWIW both MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X allow you to create custom fan profiles.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

FWIW both MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X allow you to create custom fan profiles.

Vic

True, I think all these tools work with all brands. At least that's my understanding.

Richard Åsberg

I have corsair link software to control my cpu cooling fans but I can also use it to control my GPU fan which will be just perfect when they have a cooling bracket for the Titan X

Rich Sennett

I have corsair link software to control my cpu cooling fans but I can also use it to control my GPU fan which will be just perfect when they have a cooling bracket for the Titan X

That's great!

When will you get your Titan X?

Richard Åsberg

When will you get your Titan X?

Still waiting on newegg - back ordered cant believe it has taken this long - longer wait for that bracket thats for sure 

Rich Sennett