Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

Remember that there's a free upgrade if you're on 7 or 8.1.

And that is probably what Windows 10 would be worth to me to give up the Windows 7 that I have now that runs perfectly. Nothing. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Good point Codechris about boot times.  Seeing as though SSD prices have dramatically decreased, everyone should run their computers with at least one, and that being for the OS.  As most would lvoe to have that "instant on" feature, SSDs generally do deliver faster boot times already.  I get a little antsy in the pantsy when Microsoft claims to have faster boot times with each version of Windows.  Right now, I get 12 seconds on Windows7 Pro 64, but that's with quite a few 3rd party background services and biometric login.  everyone's mileage will vary and I sense that when Win10 comes out officially, microsoft will be geared up for a year of headaches, patches and packs to deal with strange unknown issues with people's systems.  I signed up for the upgrade, but I'll wait a little while until the hype blows over.

If you set up your system properly, it'll boot fast.  The more junk you add to it, the slower it gets. :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

If you follow my link, though it's very technical, they show how they have improved boot times. SSD's have played a factor in this agreed, but they did put a fair amount of work in to this. I think it may have even been Mark Russinovich that was working on that. Long story short, they essentially took some learnings from how windows hibernation work and merged this in to shutdown

I checked my computer and there was no little Windows icon in my system tray. So I went to MS and checked the FAQ. It seems that if you have the auto system updates turned off, it wouldn't be there. Well, I DO have the auto updates turned off. But MS says that if you run the Check for Updates and manually update, it will appear. So I ran the update, applied the 34 updates it said were waiting, and...

No Windows icon. Now, also according to MS, if it isn't there after running the necessary updates, it is possible your computer cannot run Win 10. Supposedly, after July 29th, MS will enable the icon and I'll be able to find out if I can run Win 10 or not. So I guess I'll just have to wait, won't i? In any case, I'm hanging with Win 7 as long as possible, unless the release version miraculously comes out bug-free and perfect.

I ain't holding my breath. Judging from the recent reports, it seems to be getting worse.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I would advise to never turn updates off unless you periodically run the updates you're self. If you don't want auto-install, then set it it to download but notify for install

I checked my computer and there was no little Windows icon in my system tray. So I went to MS and checked the FAQ. It seems that if you have the auto system updates turned off, it wouldn't be there. Well, I DO have the auto updates turned off. But MS says that if you run the Check for Updates and manually update, it will appear. So I ran the update, applied the 34 updates it said were waiting, and...

No Windows icon. Now, also according to MS, if it isn't there after running the necessary updates, it is possible your computer cannot run Win 10. Supposedly, after July 29th, MS will enable the icon and I'll be able to find out if I can run Win 10 or not. So I guess I'll just have to wait, won't i? In any case, I'm hanging with Win 7 as long as possible, unless the release version miraculously comes out bug-free and perfect.

I ain't holding my breath. Judging from the recent reports, it seems to be getting worse.

Well, since you JUST now downloaded all the updates, you have to wait a few days for the icon to appear. It doesn't appear automatically.

I bought a new laptop a few days ago that came with W8.1 and after downloading all the updates, the icon appeared a day later.

I would advise to never turn updates off unless you periodically run the updates you're self. If you don't want auto-install, then set it it to download but notify for install

This is what I do. I wish this option existed in W10.

I check for updates manually on a regular basis, so I don't have it set for auto mode. I don't want my computer doing (or starting to do) anything unless I know it first. My last updates were run on July 11, all successfully. There is still no Win10 update icon on my task bar.

-= Gary Barth =-

I check for updates manually on a regular basis, so I don't have it set for auto mode. I don't want my computer doing (or starting to do) anything unless I know it first. My last updates were run on July 11, all successfully. There is still no Win10 update icon on my task bar.

Like I said... The icon doesn't appear immediately. Also, I highly doubt your computer can't run W10 since the system requirements are even lower than W8.1/7.

Oh, I have no doubt that my computer can run Win 10. And I know I have a valid, licensed version of Win 7. I will be watching for the icon.

-= Gary Barth =-

Has anyone taken the Win10 plunge since the release?  Any problems?  I want to upgrade from 8.1 but don't want to be the first. :)

I have absolutely no intention of 'upgrading' to Win 10 for a long while and possibly only when forced to by support for 7 ending in 5 years.

There are just too many unknowns about how Microsoft is going to generate income from it that makes me feel there's something nasty being hidden from us.

It's not as if FSX is transformed by 10 either. We'll still have VAS issues. Why bother?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have absolutely no intention of 'upgrading' to Win 10 for a long while and possibly only when forced to by support for 7 ending in 5 years.

There are just too many unknowns about how Microsoft is going to generate income from it that makes me feel there's something nasty being hidden from us.

It's not as if FSX is transformed by 10 either. We'll still have VAS issues. Why bother?

Windows 8.1 was a free upgrade and there's no hidden nasty stuff in that OS. MS has stated multiple times that W10 isn't a subscription service and all updates/upgrades are free.They make their income from the business branch rather than consumer branch.

Windows 8.1 was a free upgrade and there's no hidden nasty stuff in that OS. MS has stated multiple times that W10 isn't a subscription service and all updates/upgrades are free.They make their income from the business branch rather than consumer branch.

I didn't say there was with 8.1. Neither did I say 10 would be a subscription service. Updates are free are they? Wow! That's very generous of them. Try playing Solitaire and see what you're presented with. Adverts unless you sign up to a subscription service.

And perhaps you're not bothered with no control over what updates are forced on you. I on the other hand, am. And I wouldn't want my PC acting as a feeder for updating other systems which apparently is an option you may have unwittingly chosen to enable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather