Sign in to follow this  
Maxwell Song

JustFlight ver.Pro vs Captainsim, best Lockheed L1011?

Since both of the JF Tristar pro and cs L-1011 are on a same price now, I'm simply confused about which one to get. As a new release I 've never doubt about the level of simulation of the JF Pro version, but so do captainsim.

For the captainsim one we know they've always got a problem of unmodified super fast engine start problem which shouldn't be there on the just flight Tristar as they mentioned about customized engine start in the description. But for the cs L1011 they've used CIVA INS as always and which is the best INS simulation as we know, JF also seems to have completely simulated the INS according to description but it shouldn't be as complete as CIVA right ? Also for captainsim they've got WXR....

So I just still couldn't go over this issue, such kind of "comparison focused" review never appeared in the community.

Pls help guys.....

stray away from CS...i bought their package during xmas and if like me and several others upon loading it you may get a CTD - several tickets posted with CS and the only reply is to wait for a new installer....and this installer seems never to come out.

so you will be buying this at the risk of never getting it to work.

take care.

emann

• Like 1

I also would agree that the CS would be my choice.  However, I do agree with Emann that I do get an occassional CTD at start up but still not a show stopper for me. 

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

CS is a company I loath to promote because of my disappointment with their support. However, their L1011 is the best CS aircraft I own and I've personally never experienced  the aforementioned start-up CTD. I managed to get it on sale last Christmas and have no regrets. It's quite a pleasure to operate and looks great.

One word of caution, it's on the heavy side of VAS usage. Measurements I took on my system showed the aircraft alone grabs over a GB of memory.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Just Flight, in my opinion, is never a choice unless it's the only one. They just seem to consistently be bottom-rung stuff when it comes to aircraft.

I own both versions (got them both on sales) and prefer CaptainSim over JustFlight. I never had issues with the CS L1011. Graphically both models are on the same level, but the CS systems are much deeper, every button in the cockpit is simulated. I know that because the one drawback is that CS forgot to include an amplified checklist, so I had to create one from material I got on the web. Funny that you can go through all these system checks but CS won't tell what to do when :)

Peter

I must be very fortunate as I have never experienced a CTD with their L-1011.  Seems to be a wee bit of pot luck but this bird is a must have!

Just Flight, in my opinion, is never a choice unless it's the only one. They just seem to consistently be bottom-rung stuff when it comes to aircraft.

The JustFlight English Electric Canberra is apparently in a different league, and the first in a relatively new line of complex aircraft for FSX and P3D. They are currently developing a Panavia Tornado GR1 with the same (or even deeper) level of systems depth.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If CS version is "system deep" as some said than i am wondering what JF must be ??

CS L1011 is nice plane but "shallow" on systems simulation.

( I have CS but not JF )

• Like 1

Artur 

But for the cs L1011 they've used CIVA INS as always and which is the best INS simulation as we know, JF also seems to have completely simulated the INS according to description but it shouldn't be as complete as CIVA right ?

To clarify, the INS that comes with the Captain Sim L1011 and is available inside the VC is *not* the CIVA INS.  You can install the CIVA but it is available as a 2D panel only.  Their default INS isn't too bad, but the two displays in the VC are actually the same INS.  They do not function independently. If you're not in the mood to program the LAT/LONG coordinates along the way it will load a FSX flight plan and execute it from beginning to end just by pressing a couple 'virtual' buttons once you have the INS initialized.

What is modeled is well done (the autoland capability is perhaps the strong point of this aircraft) , but I agree with Artur above, this isn't a "system deep" simulation and some features (mach climb, for example) are not modeled at all.  That being said, it is a unique and interesting airplane to fly and worth the money, especially if you have an interest in aircraft of this vintage.

Richard P. Kelly

If CS version is "system deep" as some said than i am wondering what JF must be ??

CS L1011 is nice plane but "shallow" on systems simulation.

( I have CS but not JF )

@Artur and Richard,

if you say that the CS L10111 is shallow then I wonder what planes would qualify as deep in your opinion. Below you may find an amplified check list that I personally created and verified with the CS version. All items on this list are modelled. That's definitely deep enough for me.

Best regards,

Peter

P.S.: the format of the checklist is unusual because it is part of a Lua script available at canadiandomestic.ca.

safetyItems={"Battery switch: off \nPARKING BRAKE: SET \nFIRE PULL HANDLES: in \nGEAR LEVER: DOWN",

"FUEL AND IGNITION SWITCHES: OFF \nSTABILIZER TRIM: ZERO \nWeather RADAR: OFF \nHydraulic system, ATM SWITCHES: OFF",

"AC HYDRAULIC PUMP SWITCHES: UNLATCHED \nGALLEY POWER SWITCHES: UNLATCHED \nFUEL TANK PUMP SWITCHES: UNLATCHED \nMASTER JETTISON AND DUMP SWITCHES: UNLATCHED"}

cockpitPrepItems={"AC METER SELECTOR: INVERTER \nDC METER SELECTOR: STBY DC BUS \nBATTERY SWITCH: ON \nPosition lights: on",

"Fire detection loop test selectors: all 4 on BOTH \nA AND B TEST BUTTONS: PRESS (click and drag from A to B) \nBELL CUTOUT BUTTON: PRESS",

"DC METER SELECTOR: BAT \nAC METER SELECTOR: APU \nTANK BOOST PUMP: ONE ON \nNO. 2 ENG TANK VALVE SWITCH: LATCH IN",

"APU MASTER POWER SWITCH: ON \nAPU BLEED AIR SHUTOFF SWITCH: UNLATCHED \nAPU BLEED AIR MODE SELECTOR: MIN MODE",

"APU START SWITCH: PRESS \nWARNING LIGHTS reset SWITCH (Captain console): push"}

systemTestItems = {"<Air Conditioning> \nFUS ISLN VALVE AND CROSSBLEED VALVE SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nPACK FLOW CONTROL VALVE SWITCHES: UNLATCHED",

"PACK AUTO/MNL CONTROL SWITCHES: AUTO \nGND CONT RAM AUTO SWITCH: ON/OFF \nHOT AIR ISLN VALVE SWITCHES: UNLATCHED",

"HOT AIR VALVE SWITCHES: off \nZONE TEMPERATURE SELECTORS (cabin temp ctrl): 12 O'CLOCK \nAREA OVHT TEST SWITCH: A, then B \nAPU BLEED AIR SHUTOFF SWITCH: open",

"PACK FLOW CONTROL VALVE SWITCHES: IN \nAPU MODE SELECTOR: NORM \nHOT AIR VALVE SWITCHES: IN \nHOT AIR ISLN VALVE SWITCHES: IN",

"HUMIDITY CONTROL SWITCH: ON/OFF \nAir Data Sensor Heat Panel: check \nFuel: check",

"<Wheelwell Fire Test Panel> \nDETECTION LOOP SELECTOR: BOTH \nA AND B TEST BUTTONS: PRESS (click and drag) \nA AND B TEST BUTTONS: RELEASE",

"<Eng Turb Cooling Air Overheat Detector Panel> \nA AND B TEST SWITCHES: PRESS (Simultaneously, click and drag) \nA AND B TEST SWITCHES: RELEASE",

"A TEST SWITCH: PRESS, verify lights outs \nB TEST SWITCH: PRESS, verify lights outs",

"<Nacelle/Pylon Overheat Detector Test> \nTEST SWITCH: PRESS (click and drag)",

"<Fire Extinguisher Test Panel> \nTEST BUTTON: PRESS and hold (click and drag) \nSHORT BUTTON: PRESS \nTEST BUTTON: release \nAPU FIRE PULL HANDLE: IN",

"<Hydraulic Panel> \nFLUID LEVEL INDICATORS: CHECKED \nRSVR LO QTY AND HI TEM LIGHTS: OUT \nPUMP S/O SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nEDP CASE DRAIN HI TEM LIGHTS: OUT",

"EDP OUTPUT LO PR LIGHTS: ON \nATM SWITCHES: OFF \nATM TACHOMETERS: ZERO \nATM LUBE HI TEM AND LO PR LIGHTS: OUT \nATM CASE DRAIN HI TEM LIGHTS: OUT",

"ATM PUMP OUTPUT LO PR LIGHTS: OUT \nPTU SWITCHES: OFF \nRam Air Turbine LIGHT: OUT",

"AC PUMP SWITCHES: ON \nPTU SWITCHES: ON \nALL AC PUMP AND PTU SWITCHES: OFF \nHYDRAULIC PRESSURE GAUGES: ZERO",

"<Electrical Panel> \nIDG OIL TEMP: NORMAL \nGALLEY POWER BUS du-SWITCHES: ON/OFF \nIDG LOW PRESS LIGHTS: ON \nAC METER SELECTOR: APU/EXT PWR",

"APU GEN OIL OVHT & PRESS LIGHTS: OUT \nENGINE GENERATOR FIELD TRIP SWITCHES: PRESS \nENGINE GENERATOR BREAKER CLOSE SWITCHES: PRESS",

"KW/KVAR METERS: NORMAL \nDC METER: CHECKED, THEN TO BAT \nAC ESS POWER SELECTOR: B3(G1) \nFLT STA BUS FAIL LIGHTS: OUT \nBUS TIE BREAKERS: CLOSED",

"<Fuel System Panel> \nREFUEL POWER SWITCH LIGHT: OUT \nQUANTITY TEST button: PRESS \nTANK PUMP SWITCHES: ON/OFF \nCROSSFEED SWITCHES: OPEN, THEN CLOSE",

"ALL ENGINE TANK VALVE SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nFUEL CONTROL AMPLIFIER SWITCHES: UNLATCHED \nMASTER AND TANK JETTISON SWITCHES: UNLATCHED AND GUARDED",

"FUEL USED INDICATORS/FUEL FLOW INDICATORS: TEST \nFUEL USED RESET SWITCH: PRESS",

"<Engine Oil & Engine Status Panels> \nFILTER PRESSURE LIGHTS: OUT \nPRESSURE INDICATOR TEST SWITCH: PRESS \nOIL TEMP INDICATORS: TEST",

"OIL QUANTITY INDICATORS: CHECKED AND TESTED \nENGINE VIBRATION MONITOR: TEST \nN3 TACHOMETER TEST BUTTONS: PRESS \nREVERSER PRESSURE LIGHTS: OUT",

"<Other flight engineer panels> \nMOVIE INTERRUPT SWITCH: OFF (near clock) \nWaste water pump light: out \nDRAINMAST HEATER SWITCHES: LATCHED IN",

"HUMIDITY CONTROL SWITCH: as required \nPassenger oxygen switch: guard closed \nAural Warning Test Panel: test all \nSlat monitor lock switch: guarded",

"<Engine Bleed & Cabin Temp Control Panel> \nHI PRESS VALVE SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nENG ISLN VALVE SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nFUSELAGE ISLN VALVE: LATCHED IN",

"CROSSBLEED VALVE SWITCHES: LATCHED in \nPACK FLOW: CHECKED ON \nAUTO/MNL SWITCHES: AUTO \nHOT AIR SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nHOT AIR ISLN SWITCHES: LATCHED IN",

"GROUND CONTROL RAM AUTO SW: ON/OFF \nZONE TRIM SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nZONE TEMP SELECTORS: SET",

"<ECS Monitor Panel> \nCOOL AIR OVBD SWITCH: LATCHED IN \nCARGO HEAT SWITCHES: LATCHED IN \nZONE TEMPERATURES: CHECK \nTEMP SELECT SWITCH: ZONE",

"CABIN TEMP SELECTOR: MID CAB \nECS TEMP SELECTOR: ACM DISCH \nPACK SELECTOR SWITCH: NO. 2 PACK",

"<Cabin Pressure Control Panel> \nMODE SELECTOR: GND CHK \nALT SET CONTROL: BELOW AIRPORT, check cabin v/s moves \nALTITUDE MODE SELECTOR: STBY",

"STBY RATE SELECTOR: DSCD \nSTBY RATE SELECTOR: HOLD \nMODE SELECTOR: NORM \nALT SET CONTROL: AIRPORT ALT \nFWD and AFT MANUAL SWITCHES: LATCH IN",

"FWD and AFT MANUAL SWITCHES UNLATCHED \nNORM RATE SELECTOR: SET TO INDEX \nSTBY RATE SELECTOR: HOLD INDEX \nBARO SET CONTROL: SET QNH",

"ALT SET CONTROL: PLANNED CRUISE ALT \nCABIN ALT/DIFF PRESS indicator: SET QNH"}

beforeStartItems = {"Clearance: obtained",

"INS: CHECK ALIGNMENT STATUS \nCOMPASSES: MAG AND SYNC \nMASTER RADIO SWITCHES: ON \nAnti ice: test and off \nInterphone: test",

"Voice recorder: test \nEngine Start Panel: all lights off \nANTI-SKID: CHECKED AND OFF \nFCES panel: test and all on",

"SEAT BELT, NO SMOKING: ON \nEMERGENCY LIGHTS: CHECKED AND ARMED \nSTANDBY POWER: ARMED \nAP AND FD: CHECKED, off",

"Set initial HDG \nSet initial Altitude \nSet Baro \nSet radios",

"INSTRUMENT COMPARATOR: CHECKED \nAFCS WARNING and Modes: tested \nFLIGHT INSTRUMENTS: CHECKED \nINSTRUMENT SOURCE SELECTORS: NORMAL",

"ANNUNCIATORS: CHECKED \nTrims: set \nLSPEEDBRAKE LEVER: FORWARD \nFLAP LEVER: as required \nTHROTTLES: CLOSED",

"TRANSPONDER AND RADAR: STANDBY \nFUEL AND IGNITION: OFF \nGEAR PINS: REMOVED \nFUEL QUANTITY: CHECKED WITH FLIGHTPLAN \nGROSS WEIGHT indicator: checked"}

engineStartItems = {"ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS: ON \nAPU: MIN MODE \nECS PANEL: pack number 2",

"ATM switches: off \nPack flow control switches: all three off \nFUEL AND IGNITION SWITCHES: ENRICH \nGND START/ASSIST AIR START: engine 2, 1, 3"}

afterStartItems = {"Galley power switches: all three on \nATM switches: auto \nPack flow control switches: all three on",

"APU Bleed-Air Mode Selector: MIN \nAPU Bleed Air S/0 Switch: OFF \nAPU stop button: pressed \nAPU Master Power Switch: OFF",

"INS MSU: NAV \nFLIGHT RECORDER: ON"}

taxiItems={"Taxi lights: on \nPITOT,ALPHA, AND WINDSHIELD HEAT: ON \nENGINE ANTI-ICE: as required",

"Flaps: set \nTAKEOFF DATA: SET AND CROSS-CHECKED \nPACK FLOW: 2 and 3 on",

"Landing lights: on \nStrobe lights: on \nTaxi lights: off",

"ANTI-SKID: ON \nCABIN STAFF: ALERT \nTRANSPONDER: ON \nTEMP PROBES: ON \nCONTINUOUS IGNITION ON"}

climbCruiseItems = {"LANDING GEAR: UP AND NEUTRAL \nFlaps: retracted \nCONTINUOUS IGNITION: as required",

"Landing lights: Off above 10,000 \nWhen reaching transition altitude: Set BARO to STD",

"Cabin pressure: Monitor \nFuel: Monitor"}

descentItems = {"INSTRUMENTS: CHECKED \nECS PANELS: checked \nBaro/ALT set \nAltitude and speed limits: Check",

"ANTI-ICE: as required \nLANDING DATA: SET AND CHECKED \nNav / ILS: Set \nRADIO ALTIMETERS: SET",

"When reaching transition altitude: Set BARO \nLanding lights: On below 10,000 \nFlaps: Extend at respective speed bugs"}

landingItems={"CONTINUOUS IGNITION: as required \nCABIN STAFF: ALERT \nDLC, ALPHA: CHECKED", "Landing gear: Down"}

afterLandingItems = {"LANDING LIGHTS: off \nSTROBE Lights: OFF \nTaxi lights: on \nFlaps: up",

"SPEEDBRAKE LEVER: FORWARD \nANTI-ICE: OFF \nWINDSHIELD HEAT: OFF \nAIR DATA SENSOR HEAT: OFF",

"ANTI-SKID: OFF \nTRANSPONDER: OFF \nAPU: as required"}

shutdownItems = {"PARKING BRAKE: SET \nATM switches: off \nEngines: off \nCONTINUOUS IGNITION: OFF",

"ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS: OFF \nTaxi lights: off \nSEAT BELT SIGN: OFF \n1 A AND 3A TRANSFER SWITCHES: UNLATCHED",

"FLIGHT RECORDER: OFF \nINS: off \nMASTER RADIO SWITCHES: OFF \nEMERGENCY LIGHTS: off \nSTANDBY POWER: OFF",

"STANDBY HORIZON: CAGED \nINTERIOR LIGHTS: DIM AND OFF \nBATTERY SWITCH: OFF \nAPU: OFF"}

subChecklistTitles= {"COCKPIT SAFETY INSPECTION","COCKPIT PREPARATION","Extended System Tests","Before Start","Engine start","After start","Taxi and line up","Climb and Cruise","Descent and Approach","Landing","After Landing","Shutdown and Securing"}

checklistList = {safetyItems,cockpitPrepItems,systemTestItems,beforeStartItems,engineStartItems,afterStartItems,taxiItems,climbCruiseItems,descentItems,landingItems,afterLandingItems,shutdownItems}

if you say that the CS L10111 is shallow then I wonder what planes would qualify as deep in your opinion.

Hi Peter,

Based on your script, perhaps it's more precise to say that the CS L1011 isn't as 'documentation deep' as it is 'systems deep.'  

I'm not knocking the CS L1011 by any means--I fly it regularly, enjoy flying it and consider it a good buy. Plus, it performs well on my sub-par hardware and I've not had any VAS issues or problems described by others herein.

Richard P. Kelly

Hi Richard,

Based on your script, perhaps it's more precise to say that the CS L1011 isn't as 'documentation deep' as it is 'systems deep.'

That statement is quite agreeable ;)

Cheers,

Peter