Sign in to follow this  
VPA561

EXE xml & DLL xml

Could someone please tell me what I should have in these two files found in App Data/ Microsoft/ FSX/

In the EXE.xml I have a couple of entries but in the DLL.xml I have quite a list.The reason I ask is that when I try to install certain programs  (the latest being IVAP) I get an error which informs me of a problem in this area.From what I have read elsewhere it would seem that the problem may have arisen from an install of ASE.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Steve

What you have in those files depends completely on what addons you have.

Those files don't exist in a new FSX install until they are added by an addon.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hello:

To expand on what Joe alludes to above, some FS add-on installers which use "Modules" have problems updating and/or creating the DLL.XML file.

FYI: Modules are actually DLL files which run as child processes in the FSX task session User virtual address space.

In these scenarios, one may need to re-install the add-on by running the installer executable with "Administrative permission".

If that still does not fix the problem, one may need to manually edit the DLL.XML file (located in the Windows system folder chain for the "active" Windows user account profile, such as in the path posted your OP above).

Some folks can handle this okay in ex: Windows NotePad without getting into trouble.

Others may need to use a utility such as: :Idea:

FSX DLL.XML Viewer and Repair Utility

http://www.flight1.com/files/FSXML.zip

...or:

ModuleToolX 0.4

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxutil&DLID=117187

Why don't you post a copy of your DLL.XML as pasted text in this thread and someone can try to help you ? :wink:

GaryGB

Note that another problem in these files can come from the way the text is encoded.  The text may look correct in whatever tool you use to browse the files.  Since most XML files are encoded in UTF-8, some file-writing tools or addon installers might encode as UTF-8 as a default.  But in the case of dll.xml and exe.xml, at least in the US version of FSX the files specify encoding in "windows-1252".  That encoding is pretty much deprecated in the internet age, typically replaced by "Latin-1" (or more correctly, ISO 8859-1).  On a practical basis, if your editor supports "ANSI" text encoding, that should be correctly interpreted as "windows-1252" that FSX is looking for.

scott s.