Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Nvidia 970 single monitor Artifacting when panning

Hey guys, I have a 4790K 4.4ghz with a 970, BufferPools=0 tweak, when panning I get artifacting and its pretty annoying. I am wondering what I should put down for reject threshold if anything.

If I don't move the camera then flying in the VC or Spot is great. As soon as I pan around the airplane its gets really obvious the artifacting is something I would like to eliminate. 

Surprised the 970 is doing this on a single 1920X1080 display. 

Yes to Inspector, and Vsync is on, the monitors refresh rate is 60hz, fsx can never really achieve 60fps all the time, so that seems unfeasible. 

Hi Angelo

I found that with my GTX 670 when I had an aggressive overclock on my i5 3570k (bufferpools=0). Since paring it back I don't really have it and I run without vsnyc. Perhaps a couple of things to try.

Jay

Jason Jackett

The NVIDIA control panel has an adaptive setting for sync.  Might be worth a try.

So what are suggesting I try, sorry your post wasn't clear?

Second, what is the point of REJECTTHRESHOLD line when using BufferPools? Also how is the number calculated, if my memory serves me correctly a 970 should be able to keep up with the draw calls sent from the CPU right?

So what are suggesting I try, sorry your post wasn't clear?

Sorry!

A less aggressive overclock (if you are running one). Just try it, could be the answer.

Try without vsync. Personally I don't think it's needed with FSX with modern cards (that's MY experience).

Jay

Jason Jackett

The overclock is the default speedstep from Intel, I can turn speedstep off, but I doubt that would change much. Will take a look a Vsync, but I do notice horizontal tears when off and those look as bad as the artifacts. 

Can you describe the artifacting or even better get a screenshot? Is your hunch that it is a hardware issue or a problem with your FSX configuration? 

If you think it may be a hardware issue have you checked that the card is stable when running benchmarks such as Unigene Heaven and / or Furmark? What are your GPU temps under load and have you overclocked the card or changed the default fan profile? You could try selectively lowering the memory and GPU clocks using MSI Afterburner to see if this resolves the issue in which case you will prove it is a hardware issue.

If you suspect the problem may be to do with FSX settings then rename your FSX.cfg and let FSX rebuild your settings from scratch then add a tweak at time to see if anything improves the situation or makes it worse.

I know its an FSX setting. Its hard to screen shot artifacting because its only a millisecond when panning, but you  know the classic flashing on sections of the screen. 

It is directly related to BUFFERPOOLS=0. This tweak bypasses the vertex buffer for draw calls to the GPU. This eliminates the middleman if you will and lets the CPU swamp the GPU with all the draw calls. 

If the card cant keep up you get artifacting. Hence REJECTTHRESHOLD entry line, this is to mitigate that issue, however I do not know what value to put, because its dependent on you GPU Vram etc. 

If anyone has input on what value to use that would be great.

Seeing as you've ruled out an issue with your hardware you may be better off posting in the FSX section if you haven't already, this will have a much wider audience many of whom may have addressed this exact issue through tweaking their fsx.cfg file. I'm suggesting this as this subsection isn't that well frequented and when it is it will be folks with more specific hardware issues / knowledge.

Is your Water detail set to 2x High? This quite often helps alleviate spiking. 

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

With that system I would not use any tweaks.   Most computer experts do not recommend the BufferPool tweak especially with today's modern systems.  It causes instability but never heard of it causing artifacting or spikes.  Spikes are caused by high fsx settings.  No system can run FSX at max settings for all scenarios.  You might get away with it for a couple of flights but not for all of the flights.  It ruins enjoyment of the hobby and learning experiences.  The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides guidance for the best settings in FSX and they work for me and for many other members.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Spikes, were not really the issue, it was just an eye sore to see those flashes / artifacts etc. I wanted and thought the reject threshold line would help reduce or eliminate that.

I can remove Buffer Pools but I thought having that in keeps the fps up. 

Water High 2x? I though this was also a no no, I have it a low 2x.

The only other tweaks, are disable preload, highmemfix, Texture Bandwidth Multi 80, Texture max 4096, and Affinity mask 14. Oh and Bufferpools.