Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Hawker capture ILS/GS procedure

Any pointers on procedure to capture ILS/GS especially the mode in which the PFD should be in would be appreciated - pictures would be even better - thank you

Rich Sennett

Hey Richard,

I find that the APPR mode will not engage until I 're-cycle' the autopilot..just a little thing that I can point out. Other than that, I am in the default PFD mode when approaching / landing,  which is the labeled as the "ARC" mode. The frequency and course I tune in while in the air, somewhere near cruise nearing my calculated T/D. Other than that, "NAV" mode first then APPR once LOC is captured.

Hope it somewhat helped,

MD

This might help as well...provided by FLIGHTTO

>My setting and Sequence:

>HDG Mode - Vector TO final.

>KTPA - GPS 1R Approach load into FMS.

>Alt Hold at approach plate altitude.

>Intercept localizer and click NAV (have to press twice) - "FMS APPR" displays in the Pro-Line screen - It does capture the localizer.

>The Glidscope should be active and visible at this point - It is not and the aircraft does not decend?

Hi Richard,

I was successful today in KMRY: I tuned the ILS on both sides in the FMS. I selected LOC1 and tuned the course on the PFD.

The intercept was done in ALT and HDG (green).

Then I pressed APRR on the AP and got LOC1APCH in white. It changed to green when on the localizer and captured the GS (green) about 1.5 dots before intercept. It followed the ILS nicely.

Here are some pics, I hope you can see the relevant modes:

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4J0DiRHJEu1w4

I have an other problem here in KMRY, not related to the Hawker. The ILS GP shows way too high compared with the correct PAPI lights. I am using ORBX KMRY. Any hints?

Cheers 

Perry

Regards, Perry

Hey Richard,

I find that 

Hi Richard,

Hi Guys thanks a lot - one question at what altitude are you hitting the appr switch -  I usually do it around 2,900

"I find that the APPR mode will not engage until I 're-cycle' the autopilot" - Perry are you seeing this - sorry I dont have KMRY yet

Thanks for pics its the best way to see what going on - thanks for that

Rich Sennett

"I find that the APPR mode will not engage until I 're-cycle' the autopilot" - Perry are you seeing this - sorry I dont have KMRY yet

In my case it was not necessary to cycle. I yet have to try the intercept with the FMS MD described.

2900 or whatever intermediate altitude you have on your plate (the one before the final fix where you intercept the GP) is certainly fine. I don't think it is altitude dependent, though.

One thing I noticed, you can't change the altitude to preset the Missed approach altitude when on the ILS. It immediately changes back to basics, ROL and pitch mode, which is wrong.

Regards, Perry

In my

Perry thanks one more question - on you NAV/BRG mode switch - in BRG portion I want to do ils what are you selections in that section - vor1 vor2 etc. - I think this is where I am having the problem 

Rich Sennett

Perry thanks one more question - on you NAV/BRG mode switch - in BRG portion I want to do ils what are you selections in that section - vor1 vor2 etc. - I think this is where I am having the problem 

I am turning the NAV/BRG switc to get LOC1. You can see it on the PFD under PRESET on the left. Just added 3 more pics. The last one shows how I switch from LOC2 to LOC1.

BTW, just tried with FMS APR and it did not follow the GS, have to try some more...

Regards, Perry

Hi Richard,

take a look at this:

Thanks I have seen this but this doesnt  this question

in BRG portion I want to do ils what are your selections in that section - vor1 vor2 etc.

Rich Sennett

Thanks I have seen this but this doesnt  this question

in BRG portion I want to do ils what are your selections in that section - vor1 vor2 etc.

Sorry Richard, I did not use the  BRG portion. I just changed the course with the AP CRS knob after pushing PRESET and displaying LOC1.

Regards, Perry

Sorry Richard, I did not use the  BRG portion. I just changed the course with the AP CRS knob after pushing PRESET and displaying LOC1.

Thank you Perry :)

Rich Sennett

Hi Perry - I am not seeing your settings see notes - also its flying right over the runway will not descend - this is the most aggravating bird I have ever seen - yet I want it to work - nav1 and nav2 com's were on - has to be a mode to capture the gs I am not in - thanks for your added pics helped me to convey this to you - to explain more about CRS its not allowing me to precisely set it its jumping around the needed CRS 

2emz8f7.jpg

Rich Sennett

Hi Rich,

First of all let me say that I too am struggling with this bird and am trying to figure it out. I noticed that in the pic you posted that it shows Loc 2. Don't know if you know how to change it to Loc 1 or not but this is how it is done:

To change what is in the blue box. you have to turn the inner knob (shows green) beneath the Nav/Brg button. That will change to Loc 1, FMS, etc. Then push the Preset button and that blue box selection will then swap and show the selected nav source.

Sorry if you already knew this but you indicated in your pic that you were not seeing Loc 1.

Hope you get it all figured out because I sure haven't yet.

Jim

Hi Rich,

First of all let me say that I too am struggling with this bird and am trying to figure it out. I noticed that in the pic you posted that it shows Loc 2. Don't know if you know how to change it to Loc 1 or not but this is how it is done:

Hi Jim - yes I know how to do that but there is no choices to get LOC1 - I wonder if you can only achieve that in the air as I was on runway - a decent short flight video tut from begging to end is in order and wish someone could do it - even a Carenado written tut would be better than nothing I guess - yes I have looked at documentation not very informative - if I can figure this thing out I would but not yet thats or sure

Rich Sennett

Hi Rich,

Are you saying that you don't show LOC1 in the blue preset box at all?  When I am showing FMS in green as the Nav source, I can select FMS, LOC1 or LOC2 in the blue preset box.  If I show LOC2 in green as the Nav source, I can select FMS or LOC1 in the blue box.  If I show LOC1 in green as the Nav source, I can select FMS or LOC2 in the blue box.

Don't know what is happening here.  I can do all of these selections while still on the ground.

I agree with you.  I wish Carenado would give us some kind of  tutorial.  On simpler planes it might not be necessary but on more complex planes and systems it sure would be a big help.  I guess we could always dream.

Jim