Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

737 ngx and VC shadows

I have DX10 scenery fixer 2.8 and last version of NGX servicepack. Whatever I set regarding shadows I cannot get VC shadows to work.

What is the step by step process? 

So far as I know you set the setting in fsx.cfg ForceVCShadows or whatever (it's in the manual) and make sure force VC walls is ticked in the shadow dialog.

Done both. No shadows unfortunately. May any other DX10 Fixer settings block it? 

No, if you have shadows with other aircraft then It should be fine. You need aircraft cast shadows on self ticked in fsx.

There are no per aircraft settings in dx10sf, indeed there cannot be as the shaders have no concept of what aircraft the triangles and textures they process relate to

Are you certain that you have installed update 1d for the ngx successfully? Sit in the cockpit and raise your seat so you pass 10 meters through the roof do you see a box?

The other thing to double check is whether ForceVCShadows is spelt correctly and is in the right fsx.cfg remembering if you use steam that may not be the fsx directory if it is a dual install,

1. 1d Update is OK. 

2. FSX checkbox is ticked

3. ForceVCShadows option is OK

BUT

I must admit - I do see shadow change when I do circles with aircraft. Could not notice it before because shadows are very bright. I will try to overcome this with shadow brightness & contrast settings within FSX. 

Will report back tommorow

P.S. thanks for such quick support. You. Are. The. Man. ;-) 

Ticked. And I checked with darkened shadows - the effect is on the cockpit when aircraft is moving, not when camera is moving. Which leads me to one conclusion - works like it should. With Shade and REX everything looks better than P3D. ;-) 

Thanks Steve and wish you all the best 

Hello,
can you look at strange shadow effect in PMDG NGX' cockpit? (only NGX)
There is a strange shadow which moves to the left (or right) when I move camera view to the left (or right):

At the first picture on "4-step-slideshow", this shadow (diagonally) is visible below course setting knob:

t2418507_ngxvcshad01.jpg

t2418508_ngxvcshad02.jpg

t2418509_ngxvcshad03.jpg
t2418510_ngxvcshad04.jpg

I have never observed this issue before.
I use EZDOK. I installed UTX2.0 yesterday with their night lighting, but I don't think it is connected with my issue.

What additional informations do you need?

Lucas

Hi Friends,

nobody met this? :(

Is there any solution?

Lucas

Try this option in your GRAPHICS section (note the spelling)

ForceVCShadowMap=1

...in addition to...

Force VC Walls, HD Shadows, and HD All Aircraft are checked in DXSceneryFixer

Aircraft Casts Shadow on Itself checked in FSX

Note, the cockpit shadow effects are a bit subtle in the NGX and most easily observed with a low sun angle.

Hi Jason,

I have all set as you wrote, except "ForceVCShadowMap=1" which I have in DISPLAY section.

I remember that this parameter should be in Display section (not Graphic)...I'm a little confused...

Lucas

My mistake. It is in the DISPLAY section. Strangely, I have this set in both sections (not sure why), but Steve's instructions are to put it in DISPLAY so I would take that on good authority :)

Lucas

Whilst I haven't reproduced it, looking at the VC model (by shifting the seat sideways outside the aircraft) the doors behind the cockpit are probably making the model too big for the calculated zoom factor. Do I have your email? Drop me a line to the stevefsx email in the manual and I will give you a new version to test later this week.