Sign in to follow this  
urgeflaske

Help with tweaking?

Im not that experienced with P3D. Could you explain once again and pretend im 10 years old.. all i understand is delete AffinityMask and not use WideViewAspect.

Sorry about that - in your Prepar3d.cfg file under [Display] you have: TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

change that to 80

and you also have in [Main] - FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

change that to 0.10

Along with Affinity and wideview - see if those changes make a difference.

You might also consider lowering some settings, if need be. Try locking your FPS at 20 or 30 and see if that helps.

Remember to delete your shaders folder and let it rebuild.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sorry about that - in your Prepar3d.cfg file under [Display] you have: TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

change that to 80

and you also have in [Main] - FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

change that to 0.10

Along with Affinity and wideview - see if those changes make a difference.

You might also consider lowering some settings, if need be. Try locking your FPS at 20 or 30 and see if that helps.

Remember to delete your shaders folder and let it rebuild.

Vic

Thanks for clearing that up :)

I been looking everywhere, but i cant seem to find the shaders folder. Only folder i find is the ShadersHLSL.

NO! Not the ShadersHLSL folder - leave that one alone.

this one -

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Anytime you make a graphics change, you should delete this folder and let P3D rebuild it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

NO! Not the ShadersHLSL folder - leave that one alone.

this one -

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Anytime you make a graphics change, you should delete this folder and let P3D rebuild it.

Vic

Ah, there it was! Thanks!

Well, i tried your tweaks and im not sure if it got better or worse.. FPS is now at 17-19 constant on ENGM (AoN). When looking around in the cockpit (In the Q400) it feels like its lagging. I also turned down the settings.

Maybe i should just accept that i cant squeeze any more juice out of my GPU/CPU and go for performance instead of good graphics.

Or is there anything else i can do?

And thanks for your help by the way.

You're welcome. The weaker the system the more of a balancing act it becomes.

Clouds, cloud shadows and water hit the GPU the most.

Autogen and traffic slam the CPU.

Also remember, the slider settings in P3D and much stronger than in FSX. Normal in P3D is like Very Dense in FSX so adjust.

You might renaming the old Prepar3d.cfg and letting P3D build a new one. Just add the TBM = 80 setting for now and leave other settings alone. By NOT putting in FFTF setting it uses the default 0.33.

Then start adjusting to get the best graphics along with the best fps. There is NOTHING wrong with 20fps *IF* it's SMOOTH.

If you use ASN for weather, adjust the cloud layers to no more than three.

You're on the right track.

ALSO - when you make changes - delete the shaders folder again.

Vic

Also remember, the slider settings in P3D and much stronger than in FSX. Normal in P3D is like Very Dense in FSX so adjust.

You might renaming the old Prepar3d.cfg and letting P3D build a new one. Just add the TBM = 80 setting for now and leave other settings alone. By NOT putting in FFTF setting it uses the default 0.33.

Then start adjusting to get the best graphics along with the best fps. There is NOTHING wrong with 20fps *IF* it's SMOOTH.

Vic

Ok, thanks again buddy! Will report back later with the outcome :)

Vic gave good advice and to restate one thing he mentioned; in all of my tests that I have done regarding FPS hits, road traffic was the absolute worst.  Even at 10%, this dropped my FPS by 20%+ in a moderately busy area!!!  I always had it turned on and never realized how much it was dragging me down.  I now keep it off unless I'm in a less intensive area.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Can I suggest some master tweaker put together a sticky with all the tweaks and what they do?

I have been using P3D for a couple of years now (love it) and the number of tweaks I have seen come and go is crazy, I think LM are proactive in incorporating fixes into the newer versions making some tweaks become redundant. It would be great to have a list that is update to date based on the current version of p3d and also reduces the number of new threads on the same topic!

For example I have found enabling DSR factors has given the best improvement of anything else. Where as affinity mask which used to work wonders on my system is now no longer required in later versions (sim is using all cores correctly out of the box)

What makes that difficult Flamer is that, essentially there are almost NO tweaks for P3D. Pretty much all of the tweaks that worked in FSX either do not work, are not needed or already are built in P3D.

It really becomes more on how you want to set up your system and how strong your hardware is.

If you have a single monitor DSR is fine - if you have multiples - not so fine, and so forth.

I say start with a CLEAN default p3d.cfg file and adjust  your graphics settings accordingly. Possibly the FFTF and TBM changes will be helpful on a general basis. After that it starts to depend on your hardware, etc.

Vic

What makes that difficult Flamer is that, essentially there are almost NO tweaks for P3D. Pretty much all of the tweaks that worked in FSX either do not work, are not needed or already are built in P3D.

It really becomes more on how you want to set up your system and how strong your hardware is.

If you have a single monitor DSR is fine - if you have multiples - not so fine, and so forth.

I say start with a CLEAN default p3d.cfg file and adjust  your graphics settings accordingly. Possibly the FFTF and TBM changes will be helpful on a general basis. After that it starts to depend on your hardware, etc.

Vic

totally agree on that Vic, LM's official stance is no tweaking required. Which would be nice but has been proven wrong by some tweaks now and then!

the problem is I still see people referring to Nickn's "bible" for their p3d setup which i am sure is causes the LM developers to lose their hair when they see that! plus all the other numerous tweaks out there.

If we had a clean cut list and perhaps referred to it as not tweaks but "user configurable config settings" then maybe even LM could jump on board and provide information. That could provide a clear explanation of what it does, the variable ranges to try and then to "retire" the tweaks if they are no longer needed due to patches/upgrades.

Just a thought anyway!

Vic

Vic's pointing you in the right direction. I've only applied the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION tweek to my cfg file and I feel that I've seen an improvement.

There one other thing that you could do to your AMD rig that I've done with my R9 270X and FX8320 based PC. That other thing is overclocking. I saw a very noticeable jump in FPS when I overclocked my FX8320 to 4.2 GHz, then to 4.5GHz. The improvement i saw was about +6 FPS at 4.2Ghz and closer to +10 FPS at 4.5Ghz. I went to 4.6Ghz, but the improvement wasnt that much more than 4.5 for the CPU voltage I was using. The FX8320 and FX8350 are great CPUs for overclocking. They are not as good at their Intel i7 equivilent, but get the job done.

I haven't done much GPU overclocking. I want to move into tweeking Prepar3D's settings more. I believe that I was not doing enough to get the best performance. The area I want to focus more is in the tessalation.

AMD cards are not good in this area compared to nVidia cards, so I'm wondering if I can play with those settings in Prepar3D and Catalyst Control Center to get more performance. It was a fix for The Witcher 3's poor AMD card performance with tessalation of the hair and other parts that has got me thinking about tessalation in Prepar3D that might be hurting performance for those of us with AMD cards.

Derek is correct - altho P3D isn't as CPU bound as FSX, it will benefit from kicking up your cpu if possible. Anything above 4ghz is acceptable but higher is better.

Agree - tessellation off to start, especially with AMD cards.

Vic

This is interesting. Most people, who know what they are talking about, are telling us that P3D should NOT be tweaked!!!!  But still a lot of simmers can´t accept that, They tweak and tweak and mess up everything and blame LM for releasing a crap sim!!!! I like to quote the song "Where have all the soldiers gone" and the lyrics are "when will they ever learn",  :P

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Hay Jack, good to hear you are still out there.

I agree with you.  I guess we just can't stop tweaking coming from FSX.

My v3 runs just fine, after I made a few changes in the set-up, I don't see a need for a tweak at this time.  No more OOM issues.

I am landing with about 1800mb of vas memory remaining...[pmdg b737, and b777]

Just waiting for Orbix to change their installers, which should be this month, [Oct]

Regards,

Jerry Friz

ORBX have already released new v3-installers for FTX Global and OpenLC EU two days ago Jerry :smile:

A new ORBXlibs (unchanged in content) with a v3-installer was ready yesterday. So no reason not to enjoy (some) of the goodies from ORBX already in v3 :smile: