Sign in to follow this  
mtaxp

10.40 (Beta 1) is out!

After I first installed 10.40 this morning, I thought my FPS dropped a lot, but then I rebooted my PC and fired it back up and all was good.  Looks great and runs fast. I'm happy! The ext DSF is a nice addition!

Mitch, I'm glad you got it running good again despite having to fail back. I wouldn't worry about it, as this is a early beta version and bound to have issues. I'm sure they will get it worked out for you.

Rob

Thanks Rob...no doubt...and after all, it is the first draw of a beta.  I loved the look, but am still puzzled that I had such a drop with FPS...but, I am running an older (but sill powerful...) CPU...and still on the GTX680.  All my other sims, including .36, gives me a pretty steady 30 fps, with all the sim sliders maxed out.  I am trying to find that thread/post about a KBxxxxxxxx that was supposed to be using up to 35 percent of CPU cycles and something to do with the Microsoft Experience.  I don't run that...so want to delete the KB..if it slid into the system.  I just can't seem to find that post...and just read it a few days ago...how frustrating!   I'm willing to try anything to run the .40b1, lol.  All you guys and gals that have the same FPS that you had in .36...well...REALLY JEALOUS!  ;)

Post Edit:   I just don't give up...and with everybody getting their same FPS...had me scratching my head. So...I just downloaded again, over .36....fired up .40b1, even clicked on Extended DSF's...and I am MOST HAPPY to report, that I have my same-on-average FPS's...that I enjoyed in .36   

Could I have had a bad download, yesterday?   Who knows...now off to explore...with 22 FPS sitting at my FBO, which is about right. Yesterday...it was 12-15 at this same location.

Cheers!

Indeed extended lod is great, had some gorgeus sights from Venice to the Alps but impact on FPS is huge on my system (16gb ram, k2500,  GTX770 4Gb): from 40/45 to 30 when flying at 25000 feet.

I noticed large gain in loading time, that's good, but I'm afraid I will have to leave extended visibility deactivated.

Indeed extended lod is great, had some gorgeus sights from Venice to the Alps but impact on FPS is huge on my system (16gb ram, k2500,  GTX770 4Gb): from 40/45 to 30 when flying at 25000 feet.

I noticed large gain in loading time, that's good, but I'm afraid I will have to leave extended visibility deactivated.

Can you maintain at least 14-15 FPS?  I have seen that the sim is much smoother, even at those numbers...and my panning around the virtual cockpit has really picked up...no jerk or lag of any kind...dead smooth. I was having LOUSY FPS on my first download attempt yesterday...but since reverting last night back to .36...and then this morning...trying again, it has been night and day.  I am at 5,500 feet over North Bay, and heading east...at 17-26 FPS, with Extended DSF on.  All my other options are now once more set to my liking that I had in .36.  What a difference....and for what happened yesterday...I have no clue....

Can you maintain at least 14-15 FPS?  I have seen that the sim is much smoother, even at those numbers...and my panning around the virtual cockpit has really picked up...no jerk or lag of any kind...dead smooth. I was having LOUSY FPS on my first download attempt yesterday...but since reverting last night back to .36...and then this morning...trying again, it has been night and day.  I am at 5,500 feet over North Bay, and heading east...at 17-26 FPS, with Extended DSF on.  All my other options are now once more set to my liking that I had in .36.  What a difference....and for what happened yesterday...I have no clue....

Yes, I wrote around 30 FPS but without HD mesh and ortophoto. I will test more next days, what I reported was my first impression just activating and deactivating extended dsf. I made the wrong step of ugrading video drivers to latest nvidia so I cannot compare with my usual configuration, but with new drivers this is what happens: from a smooth 40-45 FPS to a less fluid 25-30 FPS. Could be that my CPU (K2500) is getting old though.

New DSF loader – more multi-core, less waiting.

Yes, and for me at least, I'm very pleased with the results. Not only does it start up faster, I think the annoying long pauses have gone whilst the sim loads complex tiles whilst flying. 

As for frames, extended DSFs works fine for photoscenery and doesn't give me a massive hit, but since I don't normally fly high enough to need this feature, I'll leave it disabled (Until the IXEG 737 comes out ;-)). At least this finally addresses one of the biggest complaints about X-Plane.

In ubuntu, I am not able to start up the 64 bit variant, it crashed immediately.

Deleting ./Output/preferences folder helps only for that run, if I quit, I have to delete it again.

I uploaded the automatic crash reports several times, with explanation what I tried.

Anyone else with Ubuntu 15.04 seeing the same ?

Back to 10.36 for now.

In ubuntu, I am not able to start up the 64 bit variant, it crashed immediately.

Deleting ./Output/preferences folder helps only for that run, if I quit, I have to delete it again.

I uploaded the automatic crash reports several times, with explanation what I tried.

Anyone else with Ubuntu 15.04 seeing the same ?

Back to 10.36 for now.

Ben Supnik already pointed out, that they no - now - about the problem and will hopefully have it fixed for Beta 2 (and yes, I have it too on Linux). See his "Update 2" comment here:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2015/06/x-plane-10-40-beta-1-is-here/

Hello !

For me, 10.40 is an big improvement and this guys done a very good job !!

Andras, it´s looking incredible realistic with your UHD Mesh (and my old atmo tweaks, and some photo textures)!

FPS drop not at all (small loss on FPS)

The only thing that I´m not sure about are wind alofts -> i made a short flight from LOWW - LDSP (winds on the ground are ok) but it was very "calm" in the air !

can somebody confirm that ?

Cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Ok...Ok...something is going on here...totally without explanation:

I started with .40b1 with less than satisfactory FPS performance...dismal...12-15 max...

Today, I re-downloaded, and instantly got my old .36 FPS performance back....a fluctuation 18-30 (locked)

I have fired up .40b1 four times...and with EACH time....loading times have gone silly...from a very long 3 or 4 minutes...to, on the fourth usage...a lightning fast 45 seconds!!!!

But..that is not the mind-numb...nope...I am having the best FPS performance, I have EVER had, from any version of XP.x   I am now getting a pegged 29-30 FPS...nothing much below that. Same airport as the original install....12-15 max!   This is just becoming crazy...but does .40b1 keep cleaning itself up, as it loads in files, with each sim start?  I am snapping pics...and will post them of the incredible FPS I am now getting...and this is all with DSF Extended as checked on.  So...that's where I am...and I have no explanation for any of this....  The bottom line for myself...is that it seems with each use of .40b1, it is well...'self tuning'....  I know that reads as crazy...but honestly...I have gone from sheer cr*p...to the best XP performance, seen on my system.

Back to the flight....the Eclipse 2, out of KMYR, bound for KTDW ...and climbing right now...pegged at 29-30 FPS!

Jeez.... 

Eclipse_11.png

Eclipse_8.png

Eclipse_7.png

Eclipse_1.png

Eclipse_3.png

Eclipse_2.png

Eclipse_12.png

Eclipse_13.png

Eclipse_14.png

can somebody confirm that ?

Cheers !

Confirmed. With XPGFS NOAA Weather 27knots in 25k feet, with Xplane Weather 0 knots (Somewhere over Genua)

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

Just an FYI as I think your lights are way too big..... light billabord are now proportional for your screen , so if you are using RTH in order to make them bigger relative to 10.36 , in  10.40 you don't need that... the light in 10.40 should be in the perfect size.

Just an FYI as I think your lights are way too big..... light billabord are now proportional for your screen , so if you are using RTH in order to make them bigger relative to 10.36 , in  10.40 you don't need that... the light in 10.40 should be in the perfect size.

Also...here is a shot climbing out from KBZN....over the mountains..with DSF Extended on....the view, out to the horizon... is incredible!

OK....just found out where you adjust the lights...have all set them to only 100 percent (normal). Here's two pics...

Eclipse_16.png

Eclipse_17.png

Eclipse_18.png

with DSF Extended on....the view, out to the horizon... is incredible!

It is such a huge improvement and makes high altitude flying more enjoyable.

It is such a huge improvement and makes high altitude flying more enjoyable.

...and those mountain shots near KBZN, is only at FL180!

Pssst: Beta 2 is already up (the installer gets it already), and it fixes the Linux startup problems :wink: