Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

GB Pro v2 [Preview]

This ain't fair Tony. Now I don't have a machine to run Xplane very well. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Unfortunately it does require a decent machine to run it well, as it's very detailed. It's not recommended you run it on max settings unless you really have a beast of a computer.

Tony, I can run the V1 UK in certain areas only pretty well.

But I prefer Mountain areas and mountains chew my fps. 

I'm actually thinking of keeping both versions, so there will be a GB Pro SD (Which is the current version) and then this new one which will be the HD version. The scenery is more complicated and contains more buildings and data, so it might run worse for some people depending on where they choose to fly.

Hi Tony,

Do you see this as an on going project for the UK, Will we see a verion 3 & 4 etc?

I really do hope so, you work adds so much!

Many thanks

Phil

Thanks Phil, I'm glad you like it.

The update cycle for the data I have is every six months, OSM is also being continually updated. If I find more data or better sources I'll do new versions when I discover them as well as bug fixes and user suggestions. I'm still trying to find the fine line between the scenery looking decent and performing well, as with the older and OSM sceneries, large cities can be problematic and almost certainly settings will need to be adjusted. But yes, I think there will be future versions.

Remember, this data is still combined with OSM, so you can still fix your own town/village or roads. Everything in OSM takes priority over the other data, so if you want to terrace buildings in your own road correctly, you can do this in OSM and it will make it into future versions. All the data combined is very good and very detailed and every single building in the England, Wales and Scotland should be where it is in real-life. In fact, you'll find this data very complete, and sometimes (depending on the photoscenery being used) you'll see entire housing estates popping up in fields which the photoscenery doesn't have yet. This is very noticable with RC/Flight1's VFR scenery which I think is from a a quite old source, and I'd estimate it is at least 10 years old, it's common to see new roads, industrial buildings and towns/villages growing in size, and it's actually quite interesting to see how much the landscape has changed.

Tony,

If I spend (INCLUDING GTX750Ti + PCIE extender) 450 USD I can run X plane 10 on the laptop to a very high level. I have Mpci-e slot on the laptop which holds the Wi-fi / Bluetooth module and I can unplug that and connect a PCIE extender and fit in any GTX from Nvidia :).

What this does is it will detect the GPU as a PCI-E device. 

Yes I would be limited on the CPU though. And GB Pro would be more CPU bound I guess

Yes I would be limited on the CPU though. And GB Pro would be more CPU bound I guess

It's more dependent on video RAM I think. There are less facades so less work for the CPU, but having video RAM will really help. I have 2GB and it isn't bad, I get between 20-30fps over the countryside and villages, and anything from 10-20fps in cities (depending on the size). London is still a no-go for me though on max settings

It's more dependent on video RAM I think

If I use eGPU than I have the option of going with any GPU. But am still doing some more research about the performance of the eGPU.