Sign in to follow this  
MrPlaneDriver

J41 activation screen not showing (possible solution)

Hello!

I'd like to report a problem that I've had when trying to activate the J41 on FSX-se on the past week and a possible solution that, although obvious once you start investigating, may not be so plain simple for everybody. Also, this is a suggestion of a topic to be added to PMDG Knowledge Base on the Support Portal, since this may be a recurrent problem.

- Problem: I'm running a FSX-SE only install and was unable to activate the J41 because of a missing SimConnect version.

I formatted my PC recently and this time I only installed FSX-SE on it. I had no problems so far using any of my addons, including most PMDG planes that I own, with exception of the J41. The activation screen simply didn't show up when initializing the aircraft. I tried selecting the aircraft from the FREE FLIGHT screen and after starting a default flight (which is unchanged from factory default), but none worked.

In an initial investigation of the problem, I opened Windows Event Log. There were 17 repeated error events; Up to 5 logs had been generated per second. Basically, they contained a message saying that Windows failed to generate activation context for the PMDG_BAe_JS4100.dll and saying that SimConnect version 10.0.61242.0 could not be found. Indeed I did not have this version of SC installed for some reason. I searched the internet for the installer, downloaded (from a safe provider, of course) and installed the software, proceeding to activate the J41. And it finally worked.

I thought it would be useful to report this, since other people may be having or may eventually have a similar problem.

Matheus Mafra

Hi Matheus.

It's been a while since I installed the JS41 on fsx:se, but from what I remember somewhere within the fsx folders are 3 simconnect files which need installing. This gets you up and running. I also recall having a problem with reading the FMC which was solved by moving a font. I believe it was from a JS41 file to the main windows fonts. 

I did all this months ago and there have since been updates from steam regarding simconnect so i'm not sure if what I had previously done is still necessary.

Hey, Roy!

I wasn't aware of that... The only time I touched SimConnect since I reinstalled FSX SE was when installing EZDok. Now that you mentioned, though, in fact the place where I got the SC file from had 3 folders with 3 different installers: for the RTM, SP1 and Acceleration versions, and I only had 2 versions installed. I may have seen these files at some ppint, but didn't give attention since I didn't know all three had to be installed. I'll make sure they all are. Thanks for the heads up.

Matheus Mafra

when trying to activate the J41 on FSX-se

The product has not been released for the Steam version.

Dan Downs KCRP

The product has not been released for the Steam version.

Okay....so it sounds like it "Hasn't" been released but there is a "work around??"  Can someone please confirm?

Many Thanks!!

Steven Rapp, SgtMajor, USMC (Ret)

It works fine for me. It's the only aircraft I fly and I've been using it through steam since the beginning of the year. IAS hold doesn't work but that's all.

It doesn't look like an update to make it fully compatible with steam will be made. Which is ok by me when you consider costs. At the same time I would of thought someone from PMDG would have tested the current version and published their results. Even if they were curious to how it performed.

IAS hold doesn't work but that's all.

To be clear, you know that this is IAS climb/descent mode like FL CH in a Boeing, right?

Kyle Rodgers

Maybe I'm not using it correctly but I had no problems before steam. On climb out I would select ias hold and the autopilot would keep to the assigned speed whilst adjusting pitch. I don't use it for descending and I'm so used to not using it now, it's no longer a problem for me.

Yes, IAS mode is broken on any sim other than basic retail FSX as far as I'm aware. Just fly it like a man :P :rolleyes:.

I normally start my climb at 2000ft/min then adjust according to the stick shakers.

Haha, exactly. As long as you're in the envelope, it's all good. I got told off here in this subforum once for saying you can climb with whatever speed you want as long as you stay within limitations...

"No, the manual states 172kts! You can not go slower or faster!"

The manual for my plane (the J41's predecessor) states to climb with 160kts until 15.000ft, then reduce with 3kts for every 1.000ft above. But on some days it's better to climb with 200kts and end up arriving earlier with less fuel burned. Anyway... going offtopic, sorry :rolleyes:.