Sign in to follow this  
Guest UweR

What else besides FSNAV...

Sorry Ray -- I misunderstood the level of detail you want.But no problem. The beauty of FSMMM is it accepts custom maps, as long as they have lat/lon tics for calibration. I often use AAA highway maps.If you have one you like, just scan it to a jpeg. If it's too big for a desktop scanner, and you don't want to pay the $1/sq ft or so that the copy shops charge, scan it in pieces. FSMMM will automatically switch as you move from one map segment to another.Follow Rana's importing and calibration procedure in his user's guide, and you are done. With small map segments, two point calibration is enough. If you have the whole UK on a single jpeg, you would want to do multiple calibration points -- otherwise the convergence of the longitude lines and uneven spacing of the latitude lines would introduce large interpolation errors.Let's hope the new yamm map is even better.John

Hi RayI've just been playing around with FSEarth which links to Google Earth. I have the luxury of being able to run it on a separate pc from my main flying and comms pcs and I think it offers a lot. UK cost was

YAMM (Yet Another Moving Map) is now available here on Avsim.I've downloaded it, but sadly not had the time to play with it.Would love to hear from anyone who's tried it.Meanwhile, EFBFSX - FSWidgets - has a similar free demo thing going on, and I'm still struggling to get that working over my network (my problem, I suspect) - also a moving map plus lots of other goodies, like VOR schema etc. Again, if anyone has played successfully with it yet, I'd love to hear.

Paul Skol

Hi John,No worries. That's why I posted a picture.I'm afraid I don't have the time or inclination to scan maps and create suitable files for FSMMM. With all the 3rd party applications these days you'd think there would be one that showed what I wanted.I'll have a look at Google Earth. I really wanted something that covered the whole planet. That would be a lot of scans! :-)I still haven't installed that new YAMM. Maybe over the weekend.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Paul,Thanks for the info. I've seen it mentioned before. I'll take a look.Despite having three PCs monitor space is still at a premium.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Arry

Hello,I just tried, to run FSWidget EFBFSX, but it is not successful.There is always a failure message "The EFBFSX.dll module has not been loaded by FSX. Please re-install EFBFSX to restore this file"After several trials I don't know, what to do, to have the program running.Any help is very much appreciated.Arry

Hi Paul,I'm eight quid poorer!:-lol I downloaded FSEarth and after about 1 minute I was convinced this would be just the ticket.Purchase was easy and I had my registration activated within 10 mins.I've altered the viewing altitude to 70000ft which suits me better for my jet flights but further tweaking is inevitable :-)Thanks very much for reminding me of this. I had heard of it but for some reason didn't think it would give me what I wanted. Not only can I now see what towns and cities I'm flying over but villages too! Google does come in for criticism at times but donating the Earth program gratis is very generous.I bought the FS9 licence but given the pound's strength against the dollar the FSX licence is inevitable.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi, I'm also sad flight without FSNav for FSX. I have found a small tool which is quite smart with an in-flight moving map, TCAS, ILS and VORs freq. and very easy to use.Nothing to do with FSN but quite helpful.It's called EZ-GPS, it's a kind of easy-to use GPS and Abacus offers a week full features demo.Just have a try.The only issue is that there is no key to display it and the only way to hide/display it is via FSX menu.http://www.abacuspub.com/

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi Arry,I just started playing with the demo version. So far it seems to be working as described in the manual.In your Microsoft Flight Simulator XModules folder, do you have a subfolder FSWidgetsEFBFSX with the file EFBFSX.dll, dated 3/2/2007 size 471kB?If so, at what point in the attempted opening of EFBFSX does the error occur?When you say "several trials", do you mean reinstallations?Have you tried disabling your firewall and/or antivirus?John

Guest Arry

Hello John,all files are in the right position in the right folder.I installed the program on my server and on two clients. All with the same problem.Reinstall did not help.Firewall and antivirus are disabled in order to see, if it works.The dml.xll has the correct information, to load the EFBFSX.exe file, but somehow this file seems not to be loaded, as it is not in the FS folder add-ons.Any more ideas, what can prevent the file from being loaded ?Arry

Hi RayFor the price of three pints of beer (or 4 in your neck of the woods :-)) I thought it was worth a try and I'm pleased my advice was useful. If you have an old copy of Google Earth it might be worth uninstalling it and downloading the latest version. The version I initially tested with was v.3 something or other and, reading the manual, it was clear that Google Earth was up to v4... so I asked mine to check for updates and it said there were none. I uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled and I now have v.4.0.2737. One or two minor problems I had been having disappeared with the upgrade.>> I bought the FS9 licence but given the pound's strength against the dollar the FSX licence is inevitable. <

Hi Paul,Probably 5 pints in the less salubrious establishments! :-lolI installed the latest version of GE but it prevents the free zoom option working and Luciano's recommendation was that you revert to a version earlier than Dec 06. I've now done that and free zoom works fine. I don't know whether it affects the quality of the images though.<>There are separates licences for FS9 and FSX. I only bought the one for FS9 as my machine isn't currently fast enough for FSX although I occasonally dip my toe to marvel at the new clouds :-)I'm guessing you have the FSX licence which of course won;t work for FS9.Thanks once again. Just time for a quick flight before all the sport kicks off!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Arry, did you disable firewall/antivirus during the installation? Sometimes these interfere with the proper placement of files and overwrites of existing files.Also, is your dll.xml in the same folder with fsx.cfg?Beyond that, assuming you have gone through all the troubleshooting tips in the manual (starting p.26), I am at a loss.John

Guest Don Stone

Gday, Yep, yesterday having had a look at numerous moving maps over the past couple of weeks, I took on board the comments of "paulcroft" and Ray Proudfoot and "bit the bullet"...downloaded FS Earth. Most impressed so have purchased it. Thanks all and particularly Luciano. But still waiting patiently for Fsnav5........ ;-)