Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Windows 10 updates no choice folks

Mind that, if your hardware "footprint" changes, your free Win10 activation may "fall off" your device. (A different hardware key means your computer becomes a different device for Microsoft, means no free Win10 anymore).

You'd better have a 'plan B' if that happens, or stick to Win7/Win8.1 as long as you can.

All - A new, and positive development in this area from Microsoft.  Check out this article at Neowin.net.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Mind that, if your hardware "footprint" changes, your free Win10 activation may "fall off" your device. 

I've been wondering about that ... but is there actually a difference between the update losing validity and the updated OS losing validity?

I would have thought the update and the updated OS should have the same hardware upgradability as the old OS?

Cheers

Keith

I've been wondering about that ... but is there actually a difference between the update losing validity and the updated OS losing validity?

I would have thought the update and the updated OS should have the same hardware upgradability as the old OS?

Cheers

Keith

Mind that, if your hardware "footprint" changes, your free Win10 activation may "fall off" your device. (A different hardware key means your computer becomes a different device for Microsoft, means no free Win10 anymore).

You'd better have a 'plan B' if that happens, or stick to Win7/Win8.1 as long as you can.

No it won't.

If you had previously an OEM copy of W7 and W8.1, then you will get an OEM copy of Windows 10.

If you had a full, retail copy of W7 or W8.1, then you will get a full, retail copy of W10.

Your CD key is the same for both... It's just "activated" to W10 once you do the upgrade once.

All - A new, and positive development in this area from Microsoft.  Check out this article at Neowin.net.

I've seen this before, but if you read the KB article, it says it only works for the "Insider Program". It seems that MS only wants beta testers to have the ability to stop updates.

Edited by linux731

An observation from my experience:  Once you update your current genuine Windows 7/8.1 machine with the free Windows 10 upgrade, the machine, including it's current configuration, becomes the basis for the license key that will be generated and maintained by Microsoft (probably within the Microsoft Store, but it doesn't matter where).  If, over time, you change components in that PC you may reach a newer configuration that triggers an activation flag, and you'll be prevented from installing your ISO against the originally generated license key.  A simple call to Microsoft with a specific explanation as to what you changed is all that needs to be done to get the new configuration approved with your former license key.  I have never been refused when I've made "the call" and doubt you will be either.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

An observation from my experience:  Once you update your current genuine Windows 7/8.1 machine with the free Windows 10 upgrade, the machine, including it's current configuration

Correct and as I paid big money right from Microsoft (windows 7 ultimate) so I wouldn't have a problem with a new pc build -  it better be ok  :)

Rich Sennett

Lots of Doom and Gloom in this thread, must be on AVSIM! :)

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

The switch in program settings must have worked as this program does nothing for me - says "there are no updates to hide" & "There aren't any hidden updates to hide"

Rich Sennett

It is so simple to make an image of my Win 7 Home Premium install, and then let the upgrade run and see, for a few days if I like it, that I am not going to skip it, specially because I've been told by some of my simmer friends already with win 10 are very well impressed with it.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It is so simple to make an image of my Win 7 Home Premium install, and then let the upgrade run and see, for a few days if I like it, that I am not going to skip it, specially because I've been told by some of my simmer friends already with win 10 are very well impressed with it.

This is a wise approach for those with stable current installs that really want to know if Windows 10 will work for them without issues. Adds a bit of time to the process, but is fairly foolproof.

Doug Miannay

WINDOWS 10 SPECIFIC TWEAKS:

1. Disables the download and automatic updates from Windows Update
       Notifications for new updates but no auto downloads

Code/ Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
        "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
        "AUOptions"=dword:00000002
        "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
        "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003

2.  Windows Update will only download updates from Microsoft servers (No LAN and Peers)

dword:00000000 = off
        dword:00000002 = lan only
        dword:00000003 = lan and web

Code/ Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config]
        "DownloadMode"=dword:00000000
        "DODownloadMode"=dword:00000000

3. Disables drivers search on Windows Update

Code/ Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
        "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000003