Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Has anyone tried the oculus rift with the ngx?

Recently I have been toying with the idea of building my own cockpit for the Pmdg 737. But then thinking about the oculus, that might be a better and cheaper option for me. Just wondering if ya guys have tried it out yet? I know the consumer version ain't out yet, but I can wait.

Thanks guys

Recently I have been toying with the idea of building my own cockpit for the Pmdg 737. But then thinking about the oculus, that might be a better and cheaper option for me. Just wondering if ya guys have tried it out yet? I know the consumer version ain't out yet, but I can wait.

Thanks guys

I am waiting for it since NOV13. It should have come out in 2014, now it is announced for 1Q16 or 1st half 2016.

Today in Cologne/Germany the "Gamescom" fair started. On the way to work this morning I heard on the radio that it is mainly about VR headsets and solutions...

We are prepared (I hope)... :-)

I have used and help developed a Occulus game, for work.  A medical simulation, supplying 3d and graphics to the programmer. So I have a bit of experience in this.

I have often wondered if the Oculus would be good with the NGX. The problem I expect is that you see the dots of the screens through the lens, and I'm sure you wouldn't be able to see small details of the PFD or other dials that well, unless you moved your head really close.

The other problem is unless you have the most powerfull PC, money can buy, the Oculus makes you feel very sick, because of the frame lag.

I would imagine it would be hard work flying and looking at charts and stuff like that dialing in frequences on the stack etc etc..  But ohhh it has potential...is it ready yet...I'm not sure.

I tried this, and the picture quality looked slightly better, than the rift. But it over heats quicker. It would still be hard seeing dials.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/wearables/gear-vr/

For VFR it would be good, as your are only looking out.

I imagine the way the HUD has been collimated in the NGX would wreak havoc with the Oculus as well.

Just a little intertesting bit of info, I read in an article that motion sickness due to that type of hardware, and even fast moving first person shooters, can be alleviated by putting a sort of "nose" on the screen to simulate your eyes looking forward with your nose in the middle. Apparently unobstructed view without your nose makes your mind unable to adjust your levels to adjust the pressure in your inner ear, am not an expert so my explanation could be off.

Just a little intertesting bit of info, I read in an article that motion sickness due to that type of hardware, and even fast moving first person shooters, can be alleviated by putting a sort of "nose" on the screen to simulate your eyes looking forward with your nose in the middle. Apparently unobstructed view without your nose makes your mind unable to adjust your levels to adjust the pressure in your inner ear, am not an expert so my explanation could be off.

I don't know about the nose thing, but when you turn off the head tracking and turn your head, this makes you really ill. I think it is because your inner ear is sensing movment but your eyes are not, and confusing to the brain. Or what is natural to the brain.   People say you can get used to it, but it is a very unpleasant experience.

Sounds interesting and could be good if a "nose reference" would become part of a VR system. Maybe as a feature of a complete avatar, because actually it would be good if you see your own hands, arms, legs etc. inside the cockpit also (for interaction).

IIRC motion sensors/attitude detectors in coming VR stets will be able to track your (head) position in a 6 meter by 4 meter rectangle (room).

This way complete walkarounds for C172 or small business jets would be possible. For larger jets it will be just the nose region outside and inside the 1st class rows... B)