Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

VAS and duplicate scenery entries

I had a situation where I reinstalled a scenery and it created duplicate entries in scenery.cfg.  I then tried to load up the area and my VAS was obliterated (despite the fact that I disabled, but did not remove the duplicates.)   I then remembered that I did that and went in and fixed it.  Wow...huge, huge difference.  Just in case you ever get dupes and a VAS problem, check that!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I had a situation where I reinstalled a scenery and it created duplicate entries in scenery.cfg.  I then tried to load up the area and my VAS was obliterated (despite the fact that I disabled, but did not remove the duplicates.)   I then remembered that I did that and went in and fixed it.  Wow...huge, huge difference.  Just in case you ever get dupes and a VAS problem, check that!

I can remember in the FS9 and X days, that would sometimes cause CTD's. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

True enough Gregg!  There is a utility in the AVSIM downloads that will actually search for duplicate files, but it's been years since I used it so I don't remember what it's called.  As I recall, you can point it at any folder / sub-folder of your choice.

Wish I could remember the name, but of course one can do what you did and manually search for them.

Nice post... sure it will be helpful to others!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Maybe I'm the last to know...  :)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There is a utility in the AVSIM downloads that will actually search for duplicate files

Dave, I don't know if you mean this, but the Scenery Config Editor will surely do it and is highly recommended! :smile:

Here's the latest version: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Scenery Config Editor

Excellent point!  I was actually thinking of a less advanced one... and had forgotten that SCE does this.  I maintain my scenery using CFE... incredible piece of freeware scenery!!! 

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.