Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Longest Flight in P3Dv2.5 latest release?

I am yet to try a long distance flight with my P3Dv2 777.

Was thinking about a KBOS - LPPT, with ASN feeding the weather, to test stability and OOM / CTD robustness :-)

What was your longest issues-free ( from the software execution point of view ) flight ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

In v2.5 ... trying to remember, I've done several for testing purposes (not something I do on a regular basis) ... think it was 14-16 hours ... basically start at 1024 textures, then after takeoff switch to 512 textures ... at destination (after destination airport loads) check VAS to see if I have enough headroom to go back up to 1024 textures.  That's the easiest way to do long haul flights without having to make any other changes.

But that assumes I do the standard start process from a saved FXML and not hop around all over the globe to pick an airport, setting time of day and season and then just go fly -- a lot of people seem to do this process and they inevitably hit an OOM pretty quick.  

Here is the process I use to do long haul flights:

1.  Pick my departure airport

2.  Pick my time and season

3.  Set textures to 1024 (some people have a big problem with this one, not sure why - barely any visual difference)

4.  Set weather to clear

5.  Save flight

6.  Exit P3D

7.  Double click the saved flight file (.fxml - assume it's associated with P3D) and do standard flight procedures (ASN/weather, FMC, ATC, etc.)

8.  If you have an AI traffic manager, this is a good time to use it to reduce VAS usage without affecting an local AI traffic

9.  After take-off set textures to 512 (you'll not notice any visual difference at all during flight) but you'll see a big VAS savings

10.  At approach to destination airport after it's loaded check VAS, if you have enough VAS headroom switch to 1024 textures if not stay at 512 textures

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

thx for your detailed description. Will certainly try to replicate it in my system, and report back.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I flew LPPT - YMML with lots of photoreal along the way, complete australia by ORBX, Vector, EU Landclass and more airports along the way than you can imagine on a 19 hour flight with the extra tanks of the 777 with no issues at all. Landed with 600MB free.

Never saved the flight a single time, i use 2048 textures everywhere and ASN with 6 layers.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

@Namco: Thx for your report!  Grande máquina tens tu aí :-)

I will try a long distance one of these days, but your description suggests I should not find much problems because I :

1) only use one airport scenery( Aerosoft LPMA );

2) Have autogen and trees disabled;

3) Use ORBX FTX Global

4) Use ASN with max 3 layers

:-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Olá jcomm :)

No, you won't have any issues at all.

I have logged three of these flights already and none had issues (the two first used FSX, only the last one was P3D).

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Namco. are you on win 10 already?

Main Simulation Rig:

KMEM-VTBS (Memphis - Bankok, actual Fedex flight).  Fedex stops at PANC but I went nonstop with very little cargo. Logbook shows 20.8 hrs 17.0 night; but I think logbook starts at beginning of session and not beginning at engine start (memo to self, check this out). The PMDG 77L in Fedex colors.  What I remember most about that flight was that I didn't have VTBS (it's newer than FSX) so I had to improvise at the end. I do now have VTBS LOL.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thx guys!

Really have to plan one of these long distance flight s :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Namco. are you on win 10 already?

No, i had a few issues with SATA drivers (very very slow loading of data) causing major stutters when flying so i had to ditch the upgrade for now and went back to the Win8.1 image i made before the upgrade. I only have SSDs and even with that load times were unbearable (tested with a few intel chipset drivers).

I guess i need a clean install and i just don't have the time/patience to do that right now.

Ok,

only SSDs here too, but it was a clean install of the system. Bith SSDs, 250GB, work ok.

Main Simulation Rig:

OMDB got coverage from liveatc.net so one of their long haul flights is what I plan on doing next weekend. Maybe to SEA in the 77L. Or one of the YVR or LAX flights to SYD by Air Canada and Delta - David Lee