Sign in to follow this  
Humberside

Multiple CTD

Hi

My last three flights have resulted in three crash to desktops. All three occurred mid flight on different length flights (LHR-DXB, BOS-DXB and DOH-DXB). The first two flight were in the T7 and the last one in the 737. There not OOMs as the message doesn't appear on screen and I can normally save the flight before it crashes. A white screen appeared and then the fatal error occurred. Before yesterday I haven't got fatal errors in some months.

Any suggestion to fix this would be great. Thanks

Joe, are you using Win10 or Win7? You are getting a FATAL ERROR message?  What is the Event Viewer in Windows Computer Management providing as reason for event?

Have you been using the PMDG products for awhile and now this problem is happening without any changes to your system?

What are you using to monitor your VAS?

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,

I'm using Win7, it is the FATAL ERROR. I cannot find the P3D crash in the Event Viewer. I've been using PMDG products for years now and I don't use anything to measure VAS.

Joe

Just an update...I just completed OKBK - OMDB without the sim crashing. All I changed on my system between yesterday and today was uninstalling a microsoft files that started with KB (and the numbers...I think 287 was in there). I keep my eye out for further crashes

Joe

Just an update...I just completed OKBK - OMDB without the sim crashing. All I changed on my system between yesterday and today was uninstalling a microsoft files that started with KB (and the numbers...I think 287 was in there). I keep my eye out for further crashes

Joe

Ah yes, the dreaded KB files, or rather the MS Knowledge Base fixes.  They can be a fickle bugger sometimes.  I learned early on that if the KB is recommended and not required, I'll pass.

Btw, go to your Windows Update dialog and look at the section for installed updates, all of those KB files should be listed.  Also, when you have updates, click on the more information button and it will describe in a little better detail what the file will do, fix, etc.  Comes in handy if you really want to know what gets installed and if it'll have a negative impact on your system.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Btw, go to your Windows Update dialog and look at the section for installed updates, all of those KB files should be listed.  Also, when you have updates, click on the more information button and it will describe in a little better detail what the file will do, fix, etc.  Comes in handy if you really want to know what gets installed and if it'll have a negative impact on your system.

Thanks for the tip Jim.

Joe

Thanks for the tip Jim.

Joe

Glad I could help you out.  Btw, are you getting anymore crashes?  If not, are you convinced it was KB file updates?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I've only done a 1 hour flight and that went successfully. I'm currently doing a longer flight at the minute, and if it doesn't crash, then I can only see it as a KB file update. (Both flights are in and out of DXB as that was the airport being used in all three crashes)

Re-visit the PMDG 777 Introduction document section on VAS Memory Management and download Process Explorer (free) and use as recommended. Flying the T7 long haul with nice scenery you enter the realm that requires some consideration to VAS memory.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan

I said that I didn't think it was OOMs because, the OOM messages didn't come up on screen. It also happened in the 737 on a 40 minute flight, and I have completed similar flights (long haul with addon scenery at both airports and enroute) with no crashes.